Photo

CFB Esquimalt / navy news

• Please log in to reply
959 replies to this topic

#321 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:15 AM

The rejection conflicts with statements by Canadian Forces top brass that they are committed to rooting out sexual misconduct in the military ranks, lawyer Rajinder Sahota said.

http://www.timescolo...tims-1.20012987

Of course, now by refusing the ad it has created more publicity than the ad ever would have. 

This is the same lawyer who compared Occupy Victoria to Ghandi.  From the Nov 18, 2011 issue of the Times-Colonist:

The lawyer representing the Occupy Victoria protest evoked the names of Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King in B.C. Supreme Court Thursday as he argued in support of the movement's continuing presence in Centennial Square.

"Protesters paving the way for the likes of Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr. never sought the consent of state officials when they embarked on political expression," said Rajinder Sahota. "The similarity between the movements of yesterday and those of today's Occupy Movement are striking."

Both were condemned and thwarted by state officials, but persevered despite police batons and injunctions, said Sahota.

"So too will the Occupy Movement persevere. The question is, which side of history is the law and judiciary going to be on?"

<snip>

Edited by David Bratzer, 19 May 2017 - 09:16 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#322 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:09 PM

O.M.G.

Comparing that riff-raff to Gandhi is beyond the pale. 

• David Bratzer likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#323 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:53 AM

Whale watching companies in Victoria are upset with the Royal Canadian Navy, claiming loud training exercises went ahead even though a pod of endangered southern resident killer whales was nearby.

Navy ships from CFB Esquimalt often conduct exercises with explosives at Bentinck Island in the Strait of Juan de Fuca and follow protocols to stop blasting if boats or whales breach a one-kilometre buffer zone.

But the navy says it has looked into the incident and disagrees that the whales were too close.

It says the whales were outside of the one-kilometre buffer zone; a sentry boat keeps watch and advises range operators if marine mammals are detected nearby.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...cises-1.4237608

#324 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:27 PM

Whale Watching companies send out their vessels every daylight hour of almost everyday of the year chasing down and harassing whales all over these waters.

They should look at their own actions before complaining about those of others

Edited by HB, 07 August 2017 - 12:28 PM.

• Mike K. and Bingo like this

#325 VANRIDERFAN

VANRIDERFAN
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:42 PM

The whale watching companies have caused more stress to marine-life in the Gulf Islands-Constance Bank-Race Rocks region than the RCN has ever done.

I was in charge of training on Bentinick Island in 2004 and we would let off an explosion on the training range and the marine life on Race Rocks would barely lift their heads. The Whale watchers would arrive (because that is their default location when they cannot find the orca pods) and the entire island would clear in a panic.

So f*** the whale watchers, they are full of ****!

• AllseeingEye likes this

#326 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:20 PM

In addition in the past studies strongly indicated the higher pitch of the smaller engines of the WW vessels severely interfered with the whales' sonar; the one and only time I ventured out on one of the local WW outfits - relatives from the UK were desperate to go so I relented - there were so many WW boats in the area of Pender Island even my Brit uncle wondered whether there were rules and regulations regulating the industry. I assured him there were but it would've been hard to tell that day....

#327 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:20 PM

We were out and about Pender Island yesterday and there were tons of whale watching boats flying by. No whales though. Saw one porpoise and one seal.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#328 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:02 PM

A Prince of Whales whale watching boat hit a humpback whale near Race Rocks this afternoon.

CBC reporting 2 people sent to hospital, with 1 remaining in hospital.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ugust-1.4239721

[There's no specific thread on whale watching that I can see...?]

#329 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:10 PM

A Prince of Whales whale watching boat hit a humpback whale near Race Rocks this afternoon.

CBC reporting 2 people sent to hospital, with 1 remaining in hospital.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ugust-1.4239721

[There's no specific thread on whale watching that I can see...?]

Try this thread.  

http://vibrantvictor...ctoria harbour

• Kungsberg likes this

#330 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:41 AM

A protest is scheduled for today at CFB Esquimalt. Workers are protesting the federal government's decision to privatize ship maintenance of the fleet's Arctic Offshore Patrol Ships and the Joint Support Ships.

http://ottawacitizen...enance-contract

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#331 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:35 AM

A big conference was/is at the confernce centre this last few days.  Fairly high security, with VicPD police at many exits and military guards at all others.

Some photos here...

http://victoriabctod...ce-in-progress/

I did not take any photos of the police officer themselves.  Across the street at the museum, I saw two young police officers, on the back of their uniform it said POLICE in big block letters, but on their shoulder patches it read "Greater Victoria..." and I could not read the rest.  I decided not to spin them around to read it all.  Do we have a regional police unit with uniforms like that?

After we ran that piece a reader submitted these photos of a US plane parked at 443 Squadron.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#332 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:41 AM

You can see it's the same paint scheme as Air Force One.

Some investigation tells me that the plane at the airport is a 89th Wing C32 or C40.

air_force_one_1280x436.jpg

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 September 2017 - 06:44 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#333 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:44 AM

C32:

071116-F-1348P-004.JPG

#334 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:48 AM

C40:  WIKIPEDIA

25172210.Roy_USAF_C40_700.jpg

#335 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:08 AM

Anyway, on a much lighter note, I'll have a 3-part series this week on what the government agencies tell us we should do in the case of nuclear fallout or direct nuclear ICBM attack affecting Victoria.  

Hint:  they have next to zero advice

I'm honoured to have Kenneth Christie adding his insight to the issue in the series.  Probably part #2.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 September 2017 - 07:08 AM.

#336 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:00 AM

Anyway, on a much lighter note, I'll have a 3-part series this week on what the government agencies tell us we should do in the case of nuclear fallout or direct nuclear ICBM attack affecting Victoria.  

Hint:  they have next to zero advice

I'm honoured to have Kenneth Christie adding his insight to the issue in the series.  Probably part #2.

Our usual stance against any threat would be to issue a stern warning, followed by negations that are directed in politeness.

An eye opener for sure, thank you VHF.

#337 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:58 AM

Our usual stance against any threat would be to issue a stern warning, followed by negations that are directed in politeness.

An eye opener for sure, thank you VHF.

Yes, indeed.  The reaction online, all be it from a very small minority is "stop fear-mongering!  I'm unfollowing!"

I dunno, nukes exist, Korea probably has them, most of the left thinks Trump is nuts etc. etc.  

Why not ask for some advice on the nuclear fallout, even if it's from Guam, or while I visit Hawaii, or from Los Angeles or Seattle?  And if your level of government has no advice then fine, we'll let folks know not to call your number for advice if the time comes.

UPDATE:  Canadian Forces has no advice but has directed us to another federal agency. 

I have asked Esq., Saanich, CoV and the province for info.  Now, since it's emergency preparedeness, I hope to get the answers soon.  I hate to think the answers take 1 week when the nukes are 120 minutes away.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 September 2017 - 09:03 AM.

#338 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:43 AM

If you are somewhat prepared(or have a course of action) for the worst, and nothing happens(or not as bad), then its all gravy.

Or we could just put our rose lens shades back on, and pray our reactive leaders come thru.

https://www.nbcnews....respond-n750466

#339 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:19 AM

If you are somewhat prepared(or have a course of action) for the worst, and nothing happens(or not as bad), then its all gravy.

Or we could just put our rose lens shades back on, and pray our reactive leaders come thru.

https://www.nbcnews....respond-n750466

What Should You Do in Case of Nuclear Attack? ‘Don’t Run'

Don't run?  Really... lol.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 05 September 2017 - 11:20 AM.

#340 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:20 AM

I'm sure there are cold war era plans that could be dug up somewhere.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users