CFB Esquimalt / navy news

• Please log in to reply
945 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:26 PM

Yes, that's right. The fire is what did it in.

There was a great CFAX interview on how building these war ships in Canada is crippling the process, not the actual desire to build them. The cost for a made-in-Canada solution is in the billions, around $5 billion, while Norway, Britain and other countries are sourcing their vessels at a tiny fraction of that cost. So yeah, we're doing this to ourselves by demanding we build this ships in Canada. Even BC Ferries knows better.

On the bright side Canadian shipyards are apparently world leaders in ship refits and that's where we should focus, according to industry insiders. It's no wonder why there's a massive cruise ship getting refitted at NADEN and the Kiwi's are sending several war ships to Victoria for a refit.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:57 AM

Even Russia of all places has outsourced the manufacturing of some of it's warships.

Canada is too concerned with "value added". We don't care if it takes three times as long and costs twice as much and the end product is sub par, as long as the steel is cut in Canada.

#43 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:24 PM

What's better, 5 billion spent in Canada or 3 billion elsewhere? It could be a wash, as much of that 5 billion goes right back to the government in form of income and corporate taxes!

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

There are no ship repair facilities at NADEN, Mike.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:02 PM

What's better, 5 billion spent in Canada or 3 billion elsewhere? It could be a wash, as much of that 5 billion goes right back to the government in form of income and corporate taxes!

Please take a remedial economics course. You will see you are wrong.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:50 PM

Outsourced vessels would cost us between $500 million and $1 billion for state of the art technology. As much as 10 vessels at that price. Norway and the UK are apparently paying $100 million a pop for what Canadian shipyards wants to charge 5x-10x as much. Not good.

Our navy is now crippled without supply ships. We're literally hog tied right now on open seas.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:22 PM

On the bright side Canadian shipyards are apparently world leaders in ship refits and that's where we should focus, according to industry insiders. It's no wonder why there's a massive cruise ship getting refitted at NADEN and the Kiwi's are sending several war ships to Victoria for a refit.

That ship left this afternoon.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#48 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:03 PM

HMCS Winnipeg just returned from a shakedown and will be leaving mid-June for the Middle East.

#49 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:16 AM

Well, this seems shockingly reasonable given it is a federal military procurement. 

The VH-71s are similar to the search-and-rescue Cormorant helicopters currently used by the RCAF.

The nine new helicopters, as well as more than 800,000 spare parts, were purchased by DND for about $164 million. Seven of the choppers are airworthy.

Defence sources say the RCAF is considering using the helicopters to bolster the search-and-rescue fleet in the coming years since it will have to remove some Cormorants from service as they go through what is known as a mid-life upgrade.

http://news.national...old-helicopters

It's amazing how the military can do a good job at smaller procurements (armoured personnel carriers, LAVs, Globemasters, new Hercules aircraft, G Wagons). 

The big stuff, on the other hand, we botch spectacularly (Sea King replacement, Victoria Class subs, F-35s, national shipbuilding strategy). If we could just stick to buying tried and true kit rather than reinventing the wheel, I bet we could have a more effective military at a lower cost. 

#50 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:20 AM

7 out of 9 new choppers are airworthy? I'd expect new ones to all be airworthy. huh...

#51 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:26 AM

Two are apparently "test air frames". I guess some engineers advised to not use those ones.  

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:08 AM

In the Ottawa airport there are advertisements for military aircraft, lol. I guess they're trying to lobby politicians as they are funneled through security.

Pretty funny stuff.

Know it all.

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:05 PM

In the Ottawa airport there are advertisements for military aircraft, lol. I guess they're trying to lobby politicians as they are funneled through security.

Pretty funny stuff.

Ya, they have been there for years.  Not all that new.

F-35 ads on OC Transpo buses part of new PR campaign
Lockheed Martin trying to warm Canadians to their fighter jet

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...paign-1.1380927

#54 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:23 PM

The ads I saw were for search and rescue aircraft and they even included range estimates from Comox.

Know it all.

#55 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:27 PM

by  Kevin Laird - Victoria News

posted Jun 11, 2015 at 2:00 PM

HMCS Algonquin was officially retired by the Royal Canadian Navy at CFB Esquimalt today.

The Iroquois-class destroyer was “paid off” in the navy tradition, concluding 41 years of service.

http://en.wikipedia....onquin_(DDG_283)

#56 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:47 AM

A diesel leak inside HMCS Winnipeg destroyed $65,000 worth of food and beverage, leaving its crew and CFB Esquimalt personnel scrambling over the weekend to replace the supplies in time for the warship’s deployment Monday morning.

On Thursday afternoon, a valve failure caused 7,000 litres of fuel to leak into a storage compartment, contaminating $48,000 worth of dry food including pasta, canned goods, coffee and flour as well as $17,000 in beverages, said navy spokesman Lt.-Cmdr. Desmond James.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.S43l8pFs.dpuf

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 05:50 AM

$17,000 in beverages?

What was it? Tang packages? A little oil on my pop can does not hurt.

#58 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:53 AM

7000 litres of fuel might.  One suspects since they were sailing soon, they might not have had the time to clean all the cans?

#59 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:55 AM

Would be nice to know what caused 7,00 litres of fuel to leak but my guess is that the investigation will proceed at the same pace as the one looking into the fire on Protecteur.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:23 AM

Would be nice to know what caused 7,00 litres of fuel to leak but my guess is that the investigation will proceed at the same pace as the one looking into the fire on Protecteur.

A valve fault apparently.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users