Capital Magazine by The Times Colonist

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

The Times Colonist is launching Capital Magazine described as a magazine about "how business works" in Victoria. I suppose it is a direct competitor to the likes of Business Examiner by Black Press and Douglas Magazine.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

... will it be two pages long?

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#3 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

Yes.

Once you remove the advertising.

• t-mitch4 likes this

#4 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

https://twitter.com/CapitalMagYYJ

jbw

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:10 AM

The Times Colonist is launching Capital Magazine described as a magazine about "how business works" in Victoria. I suppose it is a direct competitor to the likes of Business Examiner by Black Press and Douglas Magazine.

It is.  It's an interesting, but not uncommon approach.  Essentially, you contact a business, say you'd like to profile them with a nice article... oh, and hey, while we are doing that, how about you buy an ad to go in it too?  It's really the same way as the others work.  It's really the last way to get any local ad dollars.  Look at the TC these days, it has very, very little local ads, outside of cars and real estate (where, not coincidentally, they have large sections featuring those products).

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:51 AM

Read it, wasn't impressed with it. Seemed to be a ripoff of the Currents profile that the Vic Foundation publishes. The business stuff was pretty dull.

Looks like a glossy advertising feature....gotta say I've never placed a magazine like this in the recycling bin as fast as this one. Boulevard and Douglas are much more interesting....

Edited by rjag, 02 April 2014 - 05:51 AM.

#7 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

Read it, wasn't impressed with it. Seemed to be a ripoff of the Currents profile that the Vic Foundation publishes. The business stuff was pretty dull.

Looks like a glossy advertising feature....gotta say I've never placed a magazine like this in the recycling bin as fast as this one. Boulevard and Douglas are much more interesting....

As is Focus which does some investigative reporting, and still manages to attract advertisers.

• rjag likes this

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:00 AM

Yes, not even close to Douglas.  Obviously no extra resources were put into making the thing.  Absolutely poor quality.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 Hmmm

Hmmm
  • Banned
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:36 PM

Everything is **** (according to VibrantVictoria brains trust, anyway).

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

Do you possibly mean "brain trusts"?

• Matt R. likes this

#11 Hmmm

Hmmm
  • Banned
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:03 AM

No, I believe it's just one brains trust here.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:36 AM

We don't think that way abut everything, by any means.  But have you seen Capital?  It is pretty third-rate.

#13 Hmmm

Hmmm
  • Banned
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:49 AM

Yes, I wrote some of the articles.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

Your advertising sales team was not concerned about the "brains trust" on VV when they approached us wanting to sell us advertising space in Capital :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:11 AM

It is.  It's an interesting, but not uncommon approach.  Essentially, you contact a business, say you'd like to profile them with a nice article... oh, and hey, while we are doing that, how about you buy an ad to go in it too?  It's really the same way as the others work.  It's really the last way to get any local ad dollars.  Look at the TC these days, it has very, very little local ads, outside of cars and real estate (where, not coincidentally, they have large sections featuring those products).

In fairness this is how many magazines work. It is also how many awards work and how many reviews work. Someone has to pay for all of the content and effort.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:18 AM

I would be very hesitant to say "many," but you're absolutely right, this is a well known sales generating technique.

I'd estimate that about 15% of publications are based wholly on this model or a derivative of it.

Know it all.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

In fairness this is how many magazines work. It is also how many awards work and how many reviews work. Someone has to pay for all of the content and effort.

Oh, I know, I said as much.  But it makes them much less interesting, except to perhaps people in the industry. Nobody is going to read Time if it only has articles on the advertisers.  That's how Business Examiner has worked, but it's an industry publication, not a "to-consumer" magazine, how Capital seems to be placing itself.

It also plays a bit to the vanity of the advertiser.  They like to see themselves in a magazine, just like people like to see themselves on TV.   It clouds their judgement a bit on how much that ad is worth in terms of ROI. But I'm not saying its not an effective means to extract ad dollars.  It is.

#18 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:23 AM

^^ I estimate 85% of statistics are made up...

• Nparker, tedward and pherthyl like this

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:57 PM

Another issue is out today.  

#20 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 03:19 PM

Another issue is out today.  

Not a bad read. 

Royal Roads/Hatley Castle has been one of the most popular film locations with 23 productions to it's credit.

Edited by Bingo, 25 October 2014 - 03:19 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users