AirBnB, VRBO, vacation and executive rental news and issues in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1717 replies to this topic

#681 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:54 AM

That doesn't matter VHF. What is right is that this is the issue. Articles here describe this very phenomenon which fuels the concern. 100k boost to a condo price overnight is the poster child to this issue and quite frankly hard to ignore.
  • nerka likes this

#682 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:16 AM

Why is my condo appreciating $100k a "problem"?

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#683 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:41 AM

Hotel-room-inventory-shrinking-in-Victoria.jpg

Hundreds of City of Victoria hotel rooms have been lost as owners redevelop properties or convert units into full-time rental apartments. And the trend is expected to continue.

Victoria’s shrinking hotel room inventory gives rise to AirBnB vacation rentals

http://victoria.citi...cation-rentals/

The City of Victoria’s hotel room inventory has been quietly disappearing as hoteliers transform their holdings into rental apartments or redevelop properties into mixed-use condo and commercial projects.

The phenomenon began over a decade ago with the closure of several motels in the city centre, most notably the Holiday Court Motel on Hillside Avenue, now a six-storey office building, and the Crystal Court Motel on Belleville Street, soon to become a 15-storey seniors complex. And following the collapse of the Traveller’s Inn motel chain, several properties along Douglas Street and Gorge Road were subsequently converted into full-time residences totalling a transient lodging loss of several hundred units.

According to data compiled by Citified, since 2010 and in addition to lost inventory throughout the previous decade, approximately 450 hotel and motel rooms in the City of Victoria (roughly 10% of the 4,000-rooms in existence at the start of the decade) were lost. This includes 124-rooms at the Queen Victoria Inn on Douglas Street, 99 at the Dominion Hotel on Yates Street, 65 at the Victoria Plaza Hotel on Pandora Avenue, 51 at the Super 8 Hotel on Douglas Street and most recently, some 50-units at the Tally-Ho Hotel on upper Douglas Street.

And the trend appears far from over. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#684 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:47 PM

Why are hotels reluctant to have cooking facilities?  Naturally, some would like to have more business in their restaurants.  Some had to be dragged kicking and screaming to have in-room coffee.  

I'm guessing one of the draws for Air BnB is cooking and even laundry.

Should hotels be competing better on these fronts?

• SusanJones likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#685 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:23 PM

Yes, the hotel industry is certainly dated. The problem with hotels is their sameness and their lack of family friendly features like space and kitchens. They also don't facilitate group vacations. They still have their place but they need to rethink their biz model if they want to stay relevant. 

• SusanJones likes this

#686 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:51 AM

Whatever happened to the traditional "BnB" industry? They were all the rage int he 70's-through-90's but you rarely hear of people going to a formal BnB anymore, and if they are, it's a once-in-a-blue moon option.

• SusanJones likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#687 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:00 AM

Whatever happened to the traditional "BnB" industry? They were all the rage int he 70's-through-90's but you rarely hear of people going to a formal BnB anymore, and if they are, it's a once-in-a-blue moon option.

I stayed in one in the Cowichan Valley a couple summers ago when I was up for a wedding.  Very nice.

• SusanJones likes this

#688 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:03 AM

Still lots of them out there, I stayed at one a few weeks back. Many are now listed on aggregator sites like Expedia or Travelocity, some also list through Airbnb or Homeaway. 

• SusanJones likes this

#689 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:25 AM

I guess the AirBnB phenomenon has helped them tremendously. I do recall that in the 1990's there were far, far more BnB's than there are now.

• SusanJones likes this

Know it all.

#690 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:04 AM

I wish the City would just stay out of the Air BnB regulation.  They have already had the facts laid out for them, any condo can put in its own restrictions with a 3/4 vote.  Then they can handle the policing of it, keep the City expense out of it.

• jonny and shoeflack like this

#691 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:33 AM

I wish the City would just stay out of the Air BnB regulation.  They have already had the facts laid out for them, any condo can put in its own restrictions with a 3/4 vote.  then they can handle the policing of it, keep the City expense out of it.

100%. Why is the City getting involved in something that is so plainly a strata issue? I would hazard a guess that one or two of these issue buildings have had amendment attempts that failed to get the required 3/4 vote, so now those owners opposed to short-term rentals are taking it above strata to the City. Gaming the system right there.

• jonny likes this

#692 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:36 AM

Agreed, strata's should be able to police these concerns.

I'm curious with new buildings before the strata is formed and rules established about the 'grandfathering' exception. We bought a condo at Bear Lodge at Mt Washington before the strata was formed. After the strata was formed they instituted a no dog rule, we were exempt because we had purchased beforehand and had established taking our dogs up.

It just seems hypocritical to listen to Geoff Young on the radio claiming these are the same as hotels and should be taxed and licensed the same as hotels. Its like a solution in search of a problem.

Another level of hypocrisy is the apparent blind eye to the hundreds of illegal suites in the city. I think selective prosecution is the case here 

• shoeflack likes this

#693 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

^ I think that the issue is, whether true or not, that some investors are buying into buildings and gaining the votes necessary to reverse any restrictions that were put in place. You can argue that is why we live in a democracy but of course the leftist pro-democracy folks are always the first ones to try and protect the rights of the minority. 

I agree though that buildings that do effectively convert to de-facto hotels should be taxed as such.

Edited by spanky123, 03 March 2017 - 08:43 AM.

#694 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

^^ ^^^ agree with you both.

Let's just leave this alone.  Owners have their own legal remedies, at their expense.  

And every unit that is a vacation rental brings in a lot more cash, with very little draw on services, compared to an owner-occupied unit.   That's valuable tourism dollars.

• shoeflack likes this

#695 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:02 AM

One mans AirBnB is another mans dispensary....
  • VicHockeyFan, rjag and tedward like this

#696 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:11 AM

It just seems hypocritical to listen to Geoff Young on the radio claiming these are the same as hotels and should be taxed and licensed the same as hotels.

How is it NOT the same as hotels? They are providing transient accommodation for a fee, the only difference is scale.

• rjag and http like this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#697 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:33 AM

How is it NOT the same as hotels? They are providing transient accommodation for a fee, the only difference is scale.

What about the hundreds of illegal basement suites that most wouldn't pass a fire inspection, were built without permits etc. They are making money and not declaring it as income, have no business license and are competing against apartment building rentals that are professionally managed....the only difference is scale....

#698 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:40 AM

Thousands and thousands of basement suites.  Far, far more than Air BnB units.

#699 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

What about the hundreds of illegal basement suites that most wouldn't pass a fire inspection, were built without permits etc. They are making money and not declaring it as income, have no business license and are competing against apartment building rentals that are professionally managed....the only difference is scale....

I think that most people with basement suites declare their income. Makes sense as they can write off the interest on their mortgage payments against the income anyways.

• http likes this

#700 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

It's difficult not to declare suite income, the mortgage lender would need it to justify the loan unless you were already raking it in with your regular job.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users