AirBnB, VRBO, vacation and executive rental news and issues in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1717 replies to this topic

#721 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:00 PM

The big advantage Airbnb has over Craigslist is that they guarantee that you will have a room available when you show up!

I suppose, but a good operator will also be on top of that.  They can also show them their Air BnB listing, with rating, comments etc., but then still bypass the service.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#722 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:02 PM

Extremely common for AirBnB hosts to use the service to rent out a night or two, with subsequent nights paid outside of the system.  We all knew that, right?

Even AirBnB gets screwed by AirBnB.

Matt.

#723 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 06:06 PM

Extremely common for AirBnB hosts to use the service to rent out a night or two, with subsequent nights paid outside of the system.  We all knew that, right?

Even AirBnB gets screwed by AirBnB.

Matt.

Yup.  Person that I know runs it does that.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#724 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:29 PM

Yup.  Person that I know runs it does that.

There is no advantage to the operator to do that as they get 100% of the listing fees. The traveler might save a few bucks on the Airbnb service fee.

#725 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:37 PM

I'm not sure how it works, but I do know that if you do not use Air BnB, someone is saving 9-15%.

• Matt R. likes this

#726 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:45 PM

Yeah you just meet in the middle, everyone wins - except AirBnB.

Matt.

#727 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:35 AM

I'm not sure how it works, but I do know that if you do not use Air BnB, someone is saving 6-12%.

Airbnb has a service fee which is on top of the rate that the operator charges. It tends to be front loaded so you save some money but not a lot. The risk both parties run though is that if there is a problem or damage then Airbnb will not cover it.

What is becoming more and more common are 'owners' who advertise on Airbnb and then tell you to verify dates with them and then they try to get you to pay offline. Most of those are scams.

Edited by spanky123, 06 March 2017 - 07:37 AM.

#728 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:48 AM

What is becoming more and more common are 'owners' who advertise on Airbnb and then tell you to verify dates with them and then they try to get you to pay offline. Most of those are scams.

Ya, some may be, but they are removed after flagging, and I'm pretty sure the issue is very limited.  Air BnB screens very well, on both sides.  But likely not any with a decent user rating are scams.  Anyone that books an Air BnB without at least a few positive reviews is foolish.

EDIT to my previous post.  Fees are 9-15%.  I also think if you develop a good relationship with an owner, your cleaning fee can be lower next trip.  

• Matt R. likes this

#729 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:53 AM

The AirBnB fees can be massive.

You've got tourism or hotel taxes in some cases, the AirBnB fee itself, plus other fees that the landlord can attach. At times a two day stay can even include a $90 cleaning fee, plus other fees if there are more than two travellers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#730 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

What are the Airbnb type property management services available in Victoria? Does anyone here use them? 

#731 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:13 PM

EDIT to my previous post.  Fees are 9-15%.  I also think if you develop a good relationship with an owner, your cleaning fee can be lower next trip.  

Possible. It doesn't take much more time to clean a bathroom one way or the other but for time-consuming chores like laundry, sorting recycling and garbage, perhaps even watering the garden--sure, that would score points.

What are the Airbnb type property management services available in Victoria? Does anyone here use them? 

I know of one: https://www.urbanconcierge.ca/

#732 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

When I was recently in New York, I rented an Airbnb in the Lower East Side. A nearby Pizza guy said two years ago they never had tourists in the neighborhood and since more Airbnbs opened it has been good for business. Spreads the tourist dollar out of the regular places. Now he didn't say that it was causing displacement but there may be good with the bad?
  • lanforod likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#733 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:25 PM

Of course there is good.  If you can stay 4 days instead of 3 with your savings, you might have 2 more meals.  There is always winners and losers in almost anything.

#734 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 11:45 PM

Just booked our tickets to the Jasper Dark Sky festival and we are using the same air bnb we used last year. Perfect!

Matt.

#735 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:47 PM

Holy smokes, it's happening, and the City's sounding pretty serious.

City-of-Victoria-vs.-AirBnB--new-regulations-to-reign-in-Capital's-short-term-rental-industry.jpg

Construction cranes dot the Capital City's skyline as thousands of residential units rise above city streets. New regulations, however, could soon govern the use of residential properties as short-term, or AirBnB, rentals.

City of Victoria vs. AirBnB: new regulations to rein in Capital's short-term rental industry

http://victoria.citi...ental-industry/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#736 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:08 PM

Seems odd to push those tourists into the surrounding 12 municipalities.  They have a better revenue impact than local resident renters.

• rjag likes this

#737 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

Seems odd to push those tourists into the surrounding 12 municipalities.  They have a better revenue impact than local resident renters.

They need to shore up their bike base

#738 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

...They have a better revenue impact than local resident renters.

Are their statistics to support this assertion?

#739 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

Holy smokes, it's happening, and the City's sounding pretty serious.

City-of-Victoria-vs.-AirBnB--new-regulations-to-reign-in-Capital's-short-term-rental-industry.jpg
[size=3]Construction cranes dot the Capital City's skyline as
thousands of residential units rise above city streets. New
regulations, however, could soon govern the use of residential
properties as short-term, or AirBnB, rentals.[/size
City of Victoria vs. AirBnB: new regulations to reign in Capital's short-term rental
industry

http://victoria.citi...-vs-airbnb-new-
regulations-to-reign-in-capital-s-short-term-rental-industry/

Mike, Mike...
rain falls from the sky, REIGN is what a monarch does, reins control things.
(just releasing my inner pedant)

Edited by Mike K., 12 June 2017 - 01:38 PM.

• aastra likes this

#740 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:38 PM

Very good! Thanks, John!

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users