AirBnB, VRBO, vacation and executive rental news and issues in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1717 replies to this topic

#861 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:12 PM

How is the Stadacona? I've passed by on the bus before but have only been into the Shine Cafe. It's been suggested to me that it could be a good first condo, especially with it's location and bus connections.

I think for the price and location you get great value. The fact that the building is open to rentals makes it quite popular. The average price is in the 270's to 300's which is amazing compared to the shoeboxes a few blocks away downtown. Loads of parking and an indoor pool and great private gardens above street level

The unit we purchased had 6 offers scheduled for last Monday but we put in a bully offer on Saturday night and they accepted it...doesnt always work but this time it did.

Edited by rjag, 20 June 2017 - 04:14 PM.

• VicHockeyFan, grantpalin and kafkaesque like this

#862 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:22 PM

And it was recently remediated, so you're good to go! I'm familiar with that building to some degree.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#863 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:31 PM

I think for the price and location you get great value. The fact that the building is open to rentals makes it quite popular. The average price is in the 270's to 300's which is amazing compared to the shoeboxes a few blocks away downtown. Loads of parking and an indoor pool and great private gardens above street level

The unit we purchased had 6 offers scheduled for last Monday but we put in a bully offer on Saturday night and they accepted it...doesnt always work but this time it did.

Looks like the values there have gone up quite a bit since the remediation. 

A deal breaker for me would be no in-suite laundry though.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#864 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:34 PM

I have a buddy that bought in at $120K before the remediation. Had to pay cash because of the need to repair. No bank would mortgage.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 20 June 2017 - 04:35 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#865 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 06:53 PM

Yup I know, it kind of sux but the huge decks and fireplace make up for it. 

#866 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:10 PM

It probably won't hurt when it comes time to renting it out - most older rentals are shared laundry anyway. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#867 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:30 AM

Yeah my buddy got one of the ground floor units. Deck is as big as the living/ dinning area.
  • rjag likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#868 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:01 AM

The decks will provide lots of room to set up a washboard/basin and the fireplace will be helpful in the winter when you can't use your laundry line outside to dry your clothes.

• rjag, mbjj and kafkaesque like this

#869 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:06 AM

^ there we go, perfect.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#870 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:10 AM

The decks will provide lots of room to set up a washboard/basin and the fireplace will be helpful in the winter when you can't use your laundry line outside to dry your clothes.

Haha love it! Right now my daughter is already making noises about bringing her delicates back to the parents where we can feed her while she uses our appliances!!!

I'll suggest to her your place is actually closer or better yet Sebbery as he's just across the street!

#871 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:23 AM

...I'll suggest to her your place is actually closer or better yet Sebbery as he's just across the street!

My in-suite washer-dryer can be made available for only a slight premium over the cost of public laundry facilities.  ;)

• kafkaesque likes this

#872 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:09 PM

No in-suite laundry was originally a deal-breaker for me. Then all the places I looked at with in-suite laundry were selling for $300k + after bidding wars. So I settled for a place with shared laundry and paid less than $240k. At least the laundry is free (well, included in strata fees) rather than coin-op. I hate having to take out rolls of coins just to have clean clothes. And my unit is basically right across from the laundry room.

I move in 9 days, so ask me in a couple of weeks if it was worth the sacrifice. :lol:

• Mike K. likes this

#873 kafkaesque

kafkaesque
  • 88 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:51 PM

^I was thinking that you must be moving soon.  I tried to look at my buy as at least I got out of the insanity that was searching! And hopefully once you get in a groove, you will be fine with it.  I lived in Roberts House for a couple of months and it was 18 floors down, coins, oops, forgot something, back up and down... Especially fun when only one elevator was working.

#874 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:26 PM

I don't know who this guy on CFAX is right now, but he's way off base with his comments on the Strata Property Act and rentals.

#875 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

I guess he's part of this group... 

Capture.JPG

And this is what Google thought I might be looking for... 

CCASTR.jpg

#876 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

No in-suite laundry was originally a deal-breaker for me. Then all the places I looked at with in-suite laundry were selling for $300k + after bidding wars. So I settled for a place with shared laundry and paid less than $240k. At least the laundry is free (well, included in strata fees) rather than coin-op. I hate having to take out rolls of coins just to have clean clothes. And my unit is basically right across from the laundry room.

I move in 9 days, so ask me in a couple of weeks if it was worth the sacrifice. :lol:

Modern shared laundries do not involve coins, they use cards.  And if they are awesome, they include 3x sized machines like some at a laundromat.  At least you get some extra bang for your troouble.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#877 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:55 PM

That's assuming I could afford a unit with modern shared laundry!

• VicHockeyFan and kafkaesque like this

#878 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:00 PM

Has anyone at City Hall given a thought to how regulations on this might affect homestay?  That's renting a spare room to a short-stay person, for a quite hefty fee.  The exact thing they are trying to regulate out of existence.

Homestay students

Hosting opportunities range from a few days to several years. Our short-term programs are usually 1-6 weeks. Our long-term students usually live in Homestay for a few months or longer. Students at Camosun come from various countries throughout the world. Most students are age 18 years and over, but we also offer short-term programs for younger students.

http://camosun.ca/in...estay-host.html

The language schools downtown often turn over every month, meaning the student is staying with the family less than 30 days.

If I add an education component to my AirBnB, do I quality as a homestay provider?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 21 June 2017 - 06:02 PM.

#879 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:31 PM

I guess he's part of this group... 

Capture.JPG

And this is what Google thought I might be looking for... 

CCASTR.jpg

Judging from the spelling it must be an American group.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#880 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:31 PM

Has anyone at City Hall given a thought to how regulations on this might affect homestay?  That's renting a spare room to a short-stay person, for a quite hefty fee.  The exact thing they are trying to regulate out of existence.

http://camosun.ca/in...estay-host.html

The language schools downtown often turn over every month, meaning the student is staying with the family less than 30 days.

If I add an education component to my AirBnB, do I quality as a homestay provider?

But a homestay is a room in your primary home, and I didn't think Council was targeting that, just entire suites.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users