AirBnB, VRBO, vacation and executive rental news and issues in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1731 replies to this topic

#921 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:14 AM

This is my number one reason for avoiding hotels. $100 a night? That's like 10 avocado toasts.

You ain't gonna find a Victoria hotel at $100 night.

http://victoriabctod...120&action=edit

Company coming this month, and they want to stay in style?  Here's what Victoria's top (and bottom) hotels are charging this summer

Royal Scott Hotel - $1,008 ($336 per night)
The Fairmont Empress - $1,269 ($423 per night)
Hotel Grand Pacific - $927 ($309 per night)
Magnolia Hotel - $1,086 ($362 per night)
Westin Bear Mountain - $1,080 ($360 per night)
Doubletree Hilton - $774 ($258 per night)

At the lower end of the scale, we have:

Howard Johnson Elk Lake - $588 ($196 per night)
Mayfair Motel - $513 ($171 per night)
Paul's Motor Inn - $531 ($177 per night)

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 August 2017 - 11:15 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#922 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:44 AM

Crazy--you can rent an entire two-storey house for less than a cheapo hotel room. 

#923 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:06 PM

^^ Although a quick check of express deals on Priceline shows a 3 star hotel downtown for $97.

#924 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

No one pays rack rate for hotels except idiots with money to blow.
  • todd likes this

#925 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,548 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:53 PM

Or if you drive up without making a reservation, which happens quite often.

Recently I was in that situation and found that the over-the-counter rates in some hotels were equal to the online rate through major booking site.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#926 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

Recently I was in that situation and found that the over-the-counter rates in some hotels were equal to the online rate through major booking site.

The online booking service takes 15 to 25%.  So, in theory, you talk to the right person at the front desk in person or by phone, they should give you a similar discount, if pushed.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#927 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:39 PM

You go on the booking sites and there are lots of rooms at less than $200 within 1k of city center.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#928 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:02 AM

The online booking service takes 15 to 25%.  So, in theory, you talk to the right person at the front desk in person or by phone, they should give you a similar discount, if pushed.

Can confirm. I have worked front desk and night audit in hotels before. If you walk in with the Priceline/Booking.com/Trivago etc. page up on your phone, the front desk staff will usually beat that price by 5 or 10 bucks. 

#929 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:00 AM

Can anyone figure out where this is?

It's 1602 and 1604.  I'd say it's Fernwood/Oaklands.  Maybe like up the end of Pembroke-ish.  Or Denman, it has a traffic circle.

http://vancouverisla...-says-1.3542841

EDIT:  Bay Street

http://www.cathytrav...rties?id=374909

Custom Built Duplex perfect for live/work + lower level has a bachelor suite with separate entry & private patio great for extra income/airbnb/or family.

Q:  Who buys a duplex without meeting the neighbour/other owner to see what they are up to?

Q:  Why does a Realtor put in the ad a usage that they know is prohibited by zoning bylaws? 

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 August 2017 - 08:11 AM.

#930 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:24 AM

Can anyone figure out where this is?

Q:  Why does a Realtor put in the ad a usage that they know is prohibited by zoning bylaws? 

Because they know that nobody is going to do anything about it.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#931 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:26 PM

There’s a new Airbnb in Victoria that costs $1,045 per night (PHOTOS)

Space for 16+ Guests

However, with accommodation for over a dozen guests, the listing is by no means millionaire-exclusive.

Sharing 2 houses and a cottage, the Oaklands/Fernwood-based listing is geared towards large vacationing groups.

With 14 beds, 8 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms and 2 kitchens, the price actually ends up being quite affordable if split between enough people.

With 2 large yards, 2 BBQ’s, a waterfall and pond in the garden, the place seems well-equipped for a comfortable, large-scale weekend getaway. And with bookings through the first half of September, travellers appear to share that view.

http://victoriabuzz....medium=facebook

#932 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

Helps' landlord is no longer advertising her suite on AirBnB.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 August 2017 - 04:33 PM.

#933 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:42 AM

So I'm hearing more and more anecdotes of people being given notice because their landlord wants to do airbnb instead of renting.  Why is there no enforcement of this?  In sweden recently they just tracked people's airbnb ads and then hit everyone up with massive fines and taxes.  We've got people running illegal hotels, often under the table tax wise, and there seems to be zero enforcement.  It seems like such a cut and dry zoning thing.  Is your building zoned as a hotel?  Do you have a business license?  Are you paying the correct taxes?  This is hardly a secret underground market, people post photos of their place, their profiles list their names and photos.  Why are the authorities seemingly totally ignoring this?

And what could the rest of us who are enjoying $100 a month rent increases every year do?  Seems like there needs to be a name and shame group that tracks down airbnbs in the city, checks the zoning, and then publish their info.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#934 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:50 AM

And what could the rest of us who are enjoying $100 a month rent increases every year do?  

That's not legal. The max is 4% annually currently. So even at a 2k/mo rent, the max increase is $80. If you're paying enough rent that your increases are $100, you're not exactly at the low end of the market.

Edited by lanforod, 22 August 2017 - 10:51 AM.

#935 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:05 AM

The following may come into play and simply make things worse for rental properties

Canadian proposed tax changes long term rentals are "passive" bus. income =HIGH TAX vs. AirBnb are "active" business =LOW TAX

#936 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:07 AM

That's not legal. The max is 4% annually currently. So even at a 2k/mo rent, the max increase is $80. If you're paying enough rent that your increases are $100, you're not exactly at the low end of the market.

Self terminating leases bypass pretty much all tenant rights,  it's something the bcndp promise to fix but not fast enough.  At the end of your lease they can kick you out, change your rent to anything they want, and you have no legal recourse.

Edited by Baro, 22 August 2017 - 11:07 AM.

#937 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,548 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:14 AM

They can't evict you unless there is a precedence that has been documented (ie repeated warnings) and due to rent controls even if you're not on a lease (which only holds you to maintaining your tenancy and being on the hook if you want to leave early) you are protected from rental increases above the provincial maximum limit unless the landlord has undertaken major improvements that necessitate a larger increase.

You can also be evicted due to renovations and immediate family wanting to use the suite.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#938 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:34 AM

You guys need to do some basic research into 1-year self-terminating leases.

• Coreyburger and Matt R. like this

#939 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,548 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:04 PM

Here's how it works:

If your friend signed a one-year self-terminating lease, he/she must move out at the end of that one-year period if the lease is self-terminating and does not switch over to month-to-month.

Otherwise, if your friend signed a one-year self-terminating lease with a month-to-month clause that applies following that one year period, the landlord cannot increase the rent beyond the provincial limit.

In other words, there are two types of self-terminating lease scenarios that apply and your friends, if forced to move following their one-year self-terminating lease without a month-to-month provision, have no doubt learned to always request the month-to-month provision if they sign a one-year self-terminating lease.

Know it all.

#940 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

Yeah, there are three options to select on the residential tenancy form...

Of course, in this tight rental market, landlords can often dictate a closed 1 year lease.

Edited by lanforod, 22 August 2017 - 12:58 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users