Temporary Foreign Workers in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

A McDonalds franchisee operating three restaurants in Victoria is alleged to have falsified records and has been hiring temporary foreign workers despite eligible local workers applying for jobs.

CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/ne...rkers-1.2598684

"However, after the government blacklisted the Victoria franchisee, McDonald's Canada put out a new statement, distancing itself from that operation.

"We are currently working through the process of terminating our relationship with this franchisee," said the new statement Gibson issued Sunday."

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

I rarely go to McDonald's but I was recently at the Pandora location, one of the restaurants named in the article, and Jesus H. Christ, our order was prepared incorrectly not once, not twice but three times.

Clearly, very clearly there was a language barrier that resulted in the restaurant dumping orders of food after not understanding what their customers were requesting. Meanwhile as we sat there with our burgers other customers were walking up to the till complaining about their orders.

From the article is this statement by the Minister of Employment and Social Development:

On April 3, 2014 I became aware of very serious allegations that a McDonalds franchise owner in Victoria, British Columbia broke the rules of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.  I immediately ordered my officials to begin an urgent investigation to determine the facts.

Within 24 hours of becoming aware of these allegations, inspectors from my department did an on-site inspection at the location in Victoria and I suspended all Labour Market Opinions and work permits in process for this franchise pending the outcome of the investigation.  The Labour Market Opinions and work permits were suspended as I have reasonable grounds to believe that this employer provided Employment and Social Development Canada with false, misleading or inaccurate information.

If the investigation determines that this franchise owner broke the rules of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, I will permanently revoke their existing Labour Market Opinions and prevent them from hiring temporary foreign workers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:31 PM

I hear very mixed reviews about this franchise owner.  I have to admit they don't have an easy time with the rougher customers in their two locations.  Downtown and Pandora, both open 24 hours, gotta be hard to handle.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

I have to admit they don't have an easy time with the rougher customers in their two locations.  Downtown and Pandora, both open 24 hours, gotta be hard to handle.

So the solution is to hire foreign workers? :squint:

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

...and who have a hard time understanding English?

With my experience the other day at McDonalds one of the requests was a very serious request, relating to an allergy. It went unheeded twice despite a clear note in big letters stuck onto the burger wrapper indicating the "my way" change to the order. Not following the written and verbal request by the cashier is just brutal.

I've also noticed other restaurants around town who almost exclusively hire or used to hire foreign workers. Willies Bakery's staff was almost exclusively comprised of foreign workers after Shellie Gudgeon sold the business (not sure if that is still the case) and Murchie's Coffee on Government had an almost exclusive foreign worker front staff line up until recently when they seemed to have scrapped that plan and have hired only (or mostly) local workers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

So the solution is to hire foreign workers? :squint:

No, it should not be.  It should be to hire locals where he can .  But sometimes the squeeze is on.  McDonalds dictates prices at the till, perhaps hours (24 hours), minimum wage is out of his control, and then he's got two of the tougher locations in terms of staff safety.  Many parents would not want their kids working there if they see the place at 3am or 5am.  

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

Those locations have been open for decades and all of a sudden after foreign worker regulations are introduced local staff seemingly don't want to work there or its too dangerous for them? I don't buy it.

Know it all.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

Those locations have been open for decades and all of a sudden after foreign worker regulations are introduced local staff seemingly don't want to work there or its too dangerous for them? I don't buy it.

McDonalds HQ did not lower prices when our Premier raised minimum wages twice.  I'm sure it is a squeeze.  That this franchisee took the risk on, granted.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

The article says the foreign workers are actually being paid more than local workers and McDonalds (or the franchise in this case) pays a $2,000 fee to the employment agency which brings in the worker.

Know it all.

#10 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

I know Glen, he's a tough guy in business and thats putting it politely

Now, I am not defending him, but today's kids have a different attitude than my generation and even the generation of 20 years ago.  Friends that I know that employ younger workers tell me they often get talked back to, employees telling bosses they don't want to do things, etc, etc.  Attitudes that would have gotten me a boot in the arse and be thrown out the door when I was a young kid in a minimum wage job

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

The article says the foreign workers are actually being paid more than local workers and McDonalds (or the franchise in this case) pays a $2,000 fee to the employment agency which brings in the worker.

I don't doubt that many of them are more productive than some local counterparts.

#12 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

Does anyone know how widespread this is in Victoria?  Does Tim Hortons, Wendy's, Subway etc. do this?

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:32 PM

I've encountered foreign workers at virtually every fast food chain in our region.

Contractors who operate in local hospitals also bring in foreign workers.

Know it all.

#14 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:26 PM

Very, very common. When I took over the restaurant on salt spring we had two employees under a LMO.

It's a good program; the employees tend to be paid higher than the average wage, it gets them a foot in the door, and of course ties them to the employer for a fixed period of time, ensuring they stay put.

There are organizations (go2, chemistry consulting, etc) that specialize in this process.

Matt.

#15 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,676 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:52 AM

Kids now a days?!?... feel like I should be getting you all canes and rocking chairs. You know the old folk used to say the same about you?..😉
  • Mike K. likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#16 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

Kids now a days?!?... feel like I should be getting you all canes and rocking chairs. You know the old folk used to say the same about you?..

The trend has continued unfortunately, not levelled off. Can't imagine what today's kids will be saying about their own kids in 30 years!

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

This program was a good idea in 2005-2009 when we literally had no workers to fill many low paying positions. But times have since drastically changed and locals are competing with foreign workers in a variety of industries, and then you have the situation as described in this thread and you just know this is not an isolated incident by any stretch of the imagination.

Know it all.

#18 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:28 AM

Speaking from many years of experience, we still do not have enough locals to provide many entry or mid level food service jobs.

Matt.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

Speaking from many years of experience, we still do not have enough locals to provide many entry or mid level food service jobs.

Matt.

You are probably right, but why is this Matt?  I mean the BC Fed will say we have xx% of youth unemployed, but I guess it comes down to who's actually looking for work.  Many are not, and get by on parental allowance etc...

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:41 AM

Friends who operate eateries and cafes say they get overwhelmed with resumes when they post a job opening on Craigslist, but I guess everyone's mileage varies.

What I'm surprised with is Starbucks manages to get by with only local workers but Tim Horton's can have an entire frontline staff comprised of non locals. It just seems like many operators are turning away locals and sticking to workers they bring in and who are literally bonded to their business for a two year period. This not only gives the operator power (take that shift or I'll send you back!) but also solves the hassle of interviewing locals and having to set up work schedules that match their schedule restrictions. Foreign workers have no kids to pick up from school, no spouse to spend time with, no second job and no local responsibilities, etc. They come to work and work is all they do.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users