Meat & Bread | Victoria | 700-block Yates | CLOSED

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:48 PM

I'm not familiar with their business per se but for others, full is full. They are no busier in December than they are in October so there's no net difference. If you are planning to close at all, that is.

Must be nice.

Matt.

But they're not full, they're nearly empty 3/4's of the time. Only between 11:30-1:00 are they truly busy.

Closing a business, whatever it may be, during a peak shopping period in downtown Victoria is just weird and drives home the point that shopping at the malls at the very least quarantees you set hours for every store and food place.

People were very excited about the late opening hours of the late-night shopping gimmick put on by Fort Street businesses. So many places shutting down come 5, like Meat and Bread, is kinda lame.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:01 PM

But they're not full, they're nearly empty 3/4's of the time. Only between 11:30-1:00 are they truly busy.

Closing a business, whatever it may be, during a peak shopping period in downtown Victoria is just weird and drives home the point that shopping at the malls at the very least quarantees you set hours for every store and food place.

People were very excited about the late opening hours of the late-night shopping gimmick put on by Fort Street businesses. So many places shutting down come 5, like Meat and Bread, is kinda lame.

This is why we need the next marketing person for DVBA to be a salesperson, to sell everyone into getting onboard with some coordination.

The fact that hardly any downtown businesses used to carry First Hour Free parking cards tells me the last person was either too busy coordinating lame promotions, or not convincing as a salesperson.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:09 PM

Can the DVBA even afford a good marketing person? Good marketers are hard to find or cost a great deal of money.

So many marketers in this city are not marketers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:17 PM

Can the DVBA even afford a good marketing person? Good marketers are hard to find or cost a great deal of money.

So many marketers in this city are not marketers.

To their credit, they hire out for most campaigns, for the creative.

No idea what the job pays, but I doubt it has performance bonuses or commission, likely not great benefits or pension, so right away you are really limiting the talent.  The previous person left to take a job at UVic.

But they need a person that can get 90% of the businesses onside, esp. with stuff like opening hours/days, signage etc.  Really sell them on why it makes sense to be in tune.  One that can convince store owners also to make sure their staff are not taking street parking stalls all day Sunday and at night too.

Oh, and extend the boundaries a bit of DVBA, that will get you a bit more budget.   It's odd that businesses east of Blanshard (on Fort and Yates for example) get the benefits of DVBA, but do not pay into it.

screenshot-downtownvictoria.ca 2015-01-04 13-21-26.png

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:27 PM

Was there yesterday.  Prices have gone up from $0.50 to $1.00 depending on the sandwich.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:43 AM

Happy Hour - Sandwich and beer, $10 from 3-5pm daily, I think.

#47 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

I'm still surprised they aren't open past 5. If they were open to 6 or 7pm, which is very reasonable considering they open at 11am, I'm sure they would do a killing, especially with a deal like that. Most people aren't eating meals and/or drinking between 3-5.

• jonny, sasamat and 57WestHills like this

#48 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:44 PM

It seems odd to me it's not like the "business district" clears out at 5pm
  • jonny likes this

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:06 AM

Meat & Bread has opened in Seattle.

http://www.thestrang...brewing-company

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:51 PM

A bunch of football players own a Meat sandwich place in Vancouver:

http://meatcitysandw...m/about/people/

#51 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:57 PM

^Supposed to be pretty good according to the announcers on last nights football game.

I love their motto "Best meat on Davie Street", if you don't know Davie Street you might think it pertained to other restaurants.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#52 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:53 PM

^and your point?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:01 PM

^Supposed to be pretty good according to the announcers on last nights football game.

I love their motto "Best meat on Davie Street", if you don't know Davie Street you might think it pertained to other restaurants.

Ya, that was classic.

#54 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:14 PM

Probably correct.

#55 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:30 PM

^and your point?

that I loved their motto.....?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#56 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:08 AM

i wonder if our location will do this
http://www.vancitybu...turducken-2015/

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:13 AM

They did it last year. It wasn't quite as amazing as it had been played up.

Know it all.

#58 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:55 PM

Closed as of Feb 4.

Matt.

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:58 PM

They got out-classed here in Victoria.

• zoomer likes this

#60 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:21 PM

That's too bad. I enjoyed their vegetarian sandwiches. I certainly would have stopped there more often if they didn't close at 5pm.

• weirdie likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users