Photo

The Churchill | Victoria | Bedford Regency Hotel | Government Street at Bastion Square

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#21 simonaitch

simonaitch
  • 14 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

The wife and I went in last night. We try to frequent the Garrick but it gets so busy ( good on you OSJ) so it was great having this as an alternative.

Had a great time, tested a few beers before choosing the evenings libation and then attacked the menu. Top notch and will be back ( if we can get in !)

Staff were excellent by the way !

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

That's at least 50 beers on tap at The Churchill.   They are all packed in like a fire-main sized pipe.

10530858_10152189571760894_3753787241829

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

The wife and I went in last night. We try to frequent the Garrick but it gets so busy ( good on you OSJ) so it was great having this as an alternative.

Had a great time, tested a few beers before choosing the evenings libation and then attacked the menu. Top notch and will be back ( if we can get in !)

Staff were excellent by the way !

Glad you enjoyed yourself. It was another hard project and ya never know what people will think of your personal visions.  I think it turned out great and to have the two different spaces is a great thing for everyone.

Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#24 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

Went there tuesday, good stuff.

#25 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

Stopped in this afternoon and was surprised at the lack of decor. Couldn't you find some art to hang on the walls?
Pieta VanDyke

#26 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

Stopped by over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Great beer list and although I had already eaten, the food menu looked great. A few suggestions for improvement:

• My main gripe is that many of the beers on tap are not listed on the chalk board as they are rotating beers that will continually change. This requires you to ask the server for more detail. This would be fine if it was one or two but when a good portion of the draught lines are like this it just becomes annoying for all parties involved. For people that know and love beer, it's nice to see what's available before choosing.
  • I also agree with Barra - the walls seem a little barren and the TVs seem odd so high up.
  • Lastly the booths are set up in a way that makes it tough for a group of 3-4 to chat. I won't try to describe them but they appear to work well for 2 people or 6 people but aren't ideal for a traditional sized table of 4.

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

•  with Barra - the walls seem a little barren and the TVs seem odd so high up.

I haven't been here but a high TV seems like a good idea. Last pub I went to the TV happened to be aligned near Mrs. West's head so even though I wasn't interested in the sporting event my eye was distracted enough she had to remind me to maintain eye contact. As for the art, bar and restaurant owners will pay handsomely for everything except the art used to decorate their establishments it seems.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

I haven't been here but a high TV seems like a good idea. Last pub I went to the TV happened to be aligned near Mrs. West's head so even though I wasn't interested in the sporting event my eye was distracted enough she had to remind me to maintain eye contact. As for the art, bar and restaurant owners will pay handsomely for everything except the art used to decorate their establishments it seems.

Unless Mrs. West is 27' tall, that won't be an issue here.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

• My main gripe is that many of the beers on tap are not listed on the chalk board as they are rotating beers that will continually change. This requires you to ask the server for more detail. This would be fine if it was one or two but when a good portion of the draught lines are like this it just becomes annoying for all parties involved. For people that know and love beer, it's nice to see what's available before choosing.

Agree with this. It was annoying to have to have the server keep checking for what they had for a bunch of the beers.

#30 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

Thundergun,

there are to many rotating beers to be changing the chalk board that often.  The Draught board that is up there now is temporary as well, there will be a 5'X14' one above the middle of the bar.

The TV's are 80" screens, they need to be high. They will only be showing art work or black and white movies anyway. No Sports.

As for the booths, there are two smaller booths in the center and the others are bigger.

The walls will get a few more pieces of art, but its the clean minimalist look i'm going for. its about the people and the liquid that counts.

Thanks for the suggestions and i always keep them all in mind. Glad you liked the place, we will go through some growing pains but mostly i have heard nothing but great feedback.

#31 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:11 PM

I liked the interior a lot. The huge high up black and white screens work well.

#32 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

Went with some work pals on Friday. I know it's been unusually hot, but even with the door open there was no air to be had only halfway to the back. I'm thinking circulation could be a problem. Will try again another time to see if that's still the case. BTW, switch from the Glutenberg Blonde to their IPA. The Blonde tastes like cider and needs lotsa hops to balance out that "beer made from birdseed" gluten-free thing :)

#33 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

there are to many rotating beers to be changing the chalk board that often.  .

If only there were some way in which modern technology could help with this problem. I'm imagining some sort of "electronic screen" that could display the results of a list of current beers typed in with some sort of easy to use "electronic typewriter" type of device. Something like that would make it a snap to display the current list of available beers.  :1954_dancing:

• Nparker, tedward and KAS like this

#34 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:57 AM

If only there were some way in which modern technology could help with this problem. I'm imagining some sort of "electronic screen" that could display the results of a list of current beers typed in with some sort of easy to use "electronic typewriter" type of device. Something like that would make it a snap to display the current list of available beers.  :1954_dancing:

I have a 70" screen with the beers displayed on it in Garricks Head that we can change on the fly from our bar ipad. it also changes it right away on our web site.

The big beer screen doesn't fit the look of the Churchill.

im sure i can sort it out.

as for the heat, nothing i can do about the weather, its only like this two weeks a year here in vic so i don't really see much of a problem.

thanks again for the suggestions though. keep them coming.

#35 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

Er, how about a photocopied beer "fresh sheet"? I mean, having more than 30 beers on tap is kind of a marketing gimmick anyway, but if finding out what those beers are is a hassle for staff and customers then what's the point?

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

I have a 70" screen with the beers displayed on it in Garricks Head that we can change on the fly from our bar ipad. it also changes it right away on our web site.

Maybe more discreet.  Three small screens strategically placed, scrolling the beers (as they cant all fit on a smaller screen at once).

#37 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:05 AM

How about three locked Ipad Mini's or similar in leather binding that can be shared around the bar?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#38 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

im sure i can sort it out.

as for the heat, nothing i can do about the weather, its only like this two weeks a year here in vic so i don't really see much of a problem.

thanks again for the suggestions though. keep them coming.

Not claiming this is a huge deal of course, just that the excellent beer selection is a key differentiator for you. If I can't easily see my choices, I probably end up just ordering a Hoyne Pilsner. No problem, I love Hoyne Pilsner. But of course I can get that 50 steps in any direction from you (Bard, Irish Times, D'arcy) so it is a missed opportunity for me to get something different and have a unique experience.

In any case the changes, like the ones before them at GH, look great and are a nice addition to the neighborhood.

#39 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

Er, how about a photocopied beer "fresh sheet"? I mean, having more than 30 beers on tap is kind of a marketing gimmick anyway, but if finding out what those beers are is a hassle for staff and customers then what's the point?

printing a sheet doesn't work as a beer can change any min during the day. then the sheet would be wrong again. see my dilema?

#40 tbracken

tbracken
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

Finally got into The Churchill last night and I liked the room and the TV's up on the wall without sound.  The bar is fantastic!  Some great beers and friendly staff, like at the GH, so all in all looking forward to making my way back.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users