Photo

What to do with 3 parking lots on the harbour

• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#21 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

The opposition to change around here is really insane.

Maybe it's just my rose colored glasses, but that opposition seems to be waning at least a little bit. More and more developments downtown seem to be getting the go-ahead with relative ease.

#22 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:36 PM

^ The VV sanity effect?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#23 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

^ The VV sanity effect?

Maybe.

I'm still a bit surprised the Janion and the rentals on Pandora have seemingly breezed through the process.

I wonder if all of these recent residential projects downtown that have been successful and helped grow the community have dampened the enthusiasm of some of the nay-sayers.

#24 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:30 PM

Being in my late 40's I have received an amazing amount of great advice that I ignored completely. Then one day I decided to get my s**t together and things started to change. We as voters have not forced
the powers that be to engage on any of the reports created on all our wonderful potential.

Voter turn outs are pathetic and the incumbents look to themselves for solutions. I don't care what Pam Maddoff or Marianne Alto think about developments but my apathy has allowed them to control my city's future ( I vote every time, but complain more than become pro active). Change the term "the city" to
"WE" and start to feel some of the blame and start to think about what has to happen to make any and or all of the great ideas expressed in this forum a reality.
  • rjag and AllseeingEye like this
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#25 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

I'm still a bit surprised the Janion and the rentals on Pandora have seemingly breezed through the process...

But then you have The Northern Junk and more recently the St. Andrew's proposals which have been fraught with unecessary hurdles.

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

To lead off from what 29er Radio said, we at VV thought that this subject presents an opportunity for us.

The City is leading an Open House on the plan for the harbour on May 9, 2014 from 3pm to 7pm at Ships Point. We would suggest that as many VV'ers as possible come down around 4pm and let the City know what you would like to see here or ask them why they need to even consult anymore. Afterwards we could have a bit of a walk through the lots up to Bastion Square and perhaps we can all sit down at Garrick's Head and meet some of you off the screen. 

So far Mike K. and I will be there and we hope that many of you can come down as well. PM me if you have any questions or thoughts!

• rjag likes this

It has a whole new look!

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:41 AM

This will be fun! It'd be great to meet more VV'ers!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:03 AM

I think that they should build a bunker style structure all the way up to street level and then build varying sizes structures on top of that would allow people to still access the water from the save the four-story level. Then at water level put a boardwalk and have that boardwalk that have like a four story structure with shops and services along the boardwalk at the lower level, creating a facade for the four-story parking structure at the Waterfront ground level

Edited by sdwright.vic, 03 May 2014 - 09:08 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#29 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

Lot 3 is a perfect spot for a turf soccer field/basketball court/skate park. Have it lit up at night, add a use diversity to downtown Victoria. Think Venice Beach meets Andy Livingstone Park (Vancouver). People like to watch, be watched, and there are no outdoor night lit public athletic facilities in Victoria. There are drop in games all around the city but navigating the lease times to soccer clubs is nearly impossible. So have a centralized meeting point, I think it would be awesome personally.

#30 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:43 PM

the idea expressed by urbanistco is a great idea from the point of view that it would be great to see it work, and if it didn't, it wouldn't  be hard to re work the space taken up by the playing fields. I have spent quite a few hours watching volley ball on Californian beaches so think it could work with an understanding weather is always a factor.

The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

Wouldn't such a field attract individuals who may cause issues? Look at the whaling wall knoll, it's full of individuals who tend to scare away Joe-public and in turn such a lovely area is a no-go zone for so many.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

the whale wall park has nothing to offer anyone besides people looking to kill time or look at a portion of the inner harbor. If you built something that offered activities for the general public it might deter other uses, but of course this is always a problem with outdoor facilities. I don't notice any extra loungers hanging at the court by the crystal pool.

The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#33 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:08 PM

^ Good Point.

I like the idea actually, just because it is something I had never thought about before. Could we go a step further and have a swimming pool for summer that has an artificial turf lid for winter soccer? 

Something like the one in Stanley Park at Second Beach?

It has a whole new look!

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

Vic West's massive Vic West Park (it's as big as Central Park) between Esquimalt and Wilson sits empty other than when used for the odd baseball game and it's large enough to be suitable for all sorts of sports.Both the Vic High and Central school fields sit empty when school isn't in session. All three are within easy walking distance of anyone who lives in the downtown area.

As nice as it would be to have a public field/public sports facility on the harbourfront, it won't be used often enough to make it viable nor will people want to use it due to the parking situation.

• Holden West and Nparker like this

Know it all.

#35 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

Vic West's massive Vic West Park (it's as big as Central Park) between Esquimalt and Wilson sits empty other than when used for the odd baseball game and it's large enough to be suitable for all sorts of sports.Both the Vic High and Central school fields sit empty when school isn't in session. All three are within easy walking distance of anyone who lives in the downtown area.

As nice as it would be to have a public field/public sports facility on the harbourfront, it won't be used often enough to make it viable nor will people want to use it due to the parking situation.

Which Central Park are you talking about? If you mean the Central Park, it appears much larger.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:45 PM

Which Central Park are you talking about? If you mean the Central Park, it appears much larger.

One assumes the Central Park in question is the one in Victoria between Quadra and Vancouver Street.

#37 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

One assumes the Central Park in question is the one in Victoria between Quadra and Vancouver Street.

Ahh, I didn't know there was one.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#38 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:23 PM

For future reference:

Attached Images

• central.jpg

#39 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:13 AM

I like the idea of some sort of sports facility, but we need development there as well to offset the cost.

#40 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:15 AM

Sorry I totally disagree. Look at most successful boardwalks, squares, outdoor seating areas, and parks. People like to sit, walk, activity in social environments. There are a million better gyms then venice beach, way better walkways then Pier 39, and much better seating areas then Times Square yet all these places are packed rain or shine, weekend or weekday for various reasons including the experience of people in a place with people. Look at the urban basketball court system in downtown Chicago, lit up at night, fully of kids out playing on the playgrounds, while young adults play basketball. Commercial shops even tailor their hours to peak usage of the courts!

An urban, centralized recreation facility, lit up at night would be a big success, you could even host a Crossfit event to bring a new type of festival to the City.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users