Customs House
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 816 Government Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse)
Sales status: now selling
The Customs House development encompasses a full restoration of the historic Customs House building at Wharf a... (view full profile)
Learn more about Customs House on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Customs House | Condos; commercial | 7- & 5-storeys | Built - completed in 2021

• Please log in to reply
800 replies to this topic

#401 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 February 2018 - 09:57 AM

This seems like a pragmatic and proven approach. It feels to me like we are questioning it in this case solely because the units in this building are likely to be bought by affluent people. That is just wrong in my opinion.

Exactly. Also, considering the location etc, it is most likely the highest and best use of this building. Whats the alternative? a homeless shelter and bike garage?

These are job creating developments that inject a lot of up front money into the local economy via well paying trades work, materials and appliances etc. Then lets not forget the PPT that the Province receives. As Coleman says, the City ROI is approx 18 years and then its gravy from that point onwards.

• jonny and grantpalin like this

#402 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:32 AM

The idea of giving rich people a tax break is anathema to Isitt and his philosophy. The program works well by giving developers a break for fixing up heritage buildings, often having sat derelict for many years. It's just Isitt and his protégé voicing their distaste over something they abhor. 

• Bob Fugger and grantpalin like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#403 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:39 PM

The idea of giving rich people a tax break is anathema to Isitt and his philosophy. The program works well by giving developers a break for fixing up heritage buildings, often having sat derelict for many years. It's just Isitt and his protégé voicing their distaste over something they abhor. 

That is exactly what it is: they are shoring up their *ahem* progressive street cred in an election year.  It was always going to go through, so why not use the debate to play to their base?

#404 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

Imagine, a building that will have lights on and people in it instead of an empty, dark shell.
  • rjag, jonny and grantpalin like this

#405 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:46 AM

Just to reiterate, I do not believe it's the developer who directly benefits financially from the tax break.

The tax break will benefit the future residents who are being asked to pay a premium for a building that requires costly remediation. That costly remediation is passed on to the purchaser, who knows they can justify the added expense through the municipality granting them a tax break.

This is how heritage restoration and seismic upgrades work. We can't expect home purchasers to buy units with a 20% or 30% premium out of the goodness of their hearts so that we can all enjoy restored and seismically safe heritage architecture.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#406 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:48 AM

If we did not have the tax incentives buildings would be demolished or they would sit empty forever, in many cases. Maybe not all.
  • Bob Fugger and Hotel Mike like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#407 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:13 PM

Attached Images

• customs house1.jpg
  • customs house2.jpg
  • customs house3.jpg
  • customs house4.jpg

• jonny likes this

#408 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:30 PM

Any word on a demolition date?  I've heard nothing thru my contacts

#409 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:22 PM

Do you think the idea is to stabilize the heritage building so that nothing untoward would happen during the demolition?

#410 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:46 AM

That's the great thing about Victoria: if you're wondering what the effects might be of a demolition right next door, just check what happened the last time there was a demolition right next door.

i-31944_141.jpg

pic I-31944 from BC Archives...

• Mike K., Nparker and Hotel Mike like this

#411 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:15 PM

Brilliant aastra! I notice the steel beams in an "x" shape on the old building. Do you think they were specially installed for support, and then removed later?

#412 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:14 PM

I honestly have no idea, but it would appear as such*. It makes me wonder what the connections were like between the wing on the left and the older post office building. It also makes me wonder what the connections are like between the wing on the left and the current building. Does anybody here know?

*Or maybe old buildings were just constructed that way, with angled beams criss-crossing every room and hallway from floor to ceiling.

#413 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:18 PM

Have we seen this picture before?

victoria-presales-4.jpg

pic from http://mynextcondo.c.../customs-house/

#414 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:43 AM

Went by here for the first time in a while. Large supporting beams from the sidewalk on the old section that is remaining and the half block of Courtenay between Wharf and Gov't is closed. Seems like they're getting ready for demolition of the newer wing to me. 

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#415 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:03 AM

Luckily nobody was hurt here. A loader appears to have been a little overloaded as it approached its dumping spot on the fourth floor of the soon-to-be demolished 1950's-era addition to the Customs House building. According to witnesses, nobody was injured.

Photo supplied by Elizabeth M.

31870764_10156646263825832_4492837113636585472_n.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#416 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:37 PM

Mike K. needs some more time on CFAX to help them with their facts.

Construction at the Customs House downtown Victoria took an unexpected turn this morning when a construction vehicle drove through a top story window...The building is being turned into luxury condos. The outer facade of the building will remain, but the inside is currently being removed.

http://www.iheartrad...ction-1.3794870

The above story (including the photo on the website) suggests that the shell of 1950s section will remain and we know that isn't true.

#417 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:55 PM

Oops! That's not quite on point. I'll let them know.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#418 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:52 PM

Temporary steel shoring going up.

IMG_2881.JPG
  • Mike K. and Nparker like this

#419 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:07 PM

Customs-House-10.jpg

In photos: A tour of downtown Victoria's 104-year-old Customs House heritage restoration project

https://victoria.cit...ration-project/

• Kapten Kapsell, Nparker and Hotel Mike like this
Know it all.

#420 EvnKas

EvnKas
  • 42 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:37 AM

I’ll take some photos on my way to work tomorrow. It’s insane. Looks like a war zone. Government is completely closed down outside the building now.
  • zoomer likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users