Customs House
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 816 Government Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse)
Sales status: now selling
The Customs House development encompasses a full restoration of the historic Customs House building at Wharf a... (view full profile)
Learn more about Customs House on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Customs House | Condos; commercial | 7- & 5-storeys | Built - completed in 2021

• Please log in to reply
800 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

In response to mikes use of the word "drastic" I believe this is far to strong a word. We are simply looking to make minor alterations to the design, it's not going to be a complete remodel, just change some design elements and features here and their. My apologies for the confusion on wording, I missed it earlier.

No worries, I was just repeating the wording that was in the email but I'm glad this was cleared up in due course.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:10 PM

I think one of the major issues with the existing buildings is that they seem absolutely lifeless. Obviously the ground floor needs to be transformed along Government and awakened as much as possible on every other side, but it's the upper floors, too. I'd love to see a fair number of balconies and a terrace here or there and just a whole lot of evidence that there are people in the place. When there's an event in the harbour I want to look over at this building and see a bunch of people milling about on the rooftop and the various other levels. I'm really wondering how the old building would look if some appropriately-styled iron balconies were added here and there. I suspect it would look fantastic, and even better when people are out standing on those balconies. But I know there's a lot of opposition to having balconies in the old town, even though the reasons don't make much sense as we discussed in a thread way back when.

• zoomer and Mixed365 like this

#43 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

...But I know there's a lot of opposition to having balconies in the old town, even though the reasons don't make much sense as we discussed in a thread way back when.

Apparently, in the eyes of "those who get the final say on aesthetics in Victoria" there is the belief that balconies are an entirely 21st century invention. Someone might want to let the ancient Romans know they simply imagined their balconies and similar structures.roman.jpg

#44 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:36 AM

I think a bit of colour in the new portion would be nice. Like Shoal Point, and even the bit of colour in the Belmont building. We do not need Mondrian type colouring, but just something to break up the gray. I really like residential patios for the harbour side above some street level restaurants. sp%20l08-c.jpg

This building in Hobart, Tasmania has restaurants and shops along the main floor and condos above it with nice decks. The boats pulled up alongside are a nice touch as well.

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:53 AM

A little bit of colour isn't a bad idea.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#46 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

another thing they could is use panels that are two (or more) different colours & have them randomly jumbled together creating an effect similar to this (although these are panels & windows):

5327c083c07a8043e1000334_west-taihu-inte

& I guess a bigger contrast would be 'edgier'. I'm not sure it would look right with the specific building in the renderings we've seen for some reason though

Edited by amor de cosmos, 18 May 2014 - 08:44 AM.

#47 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:17 PM

I realize this isn't a "minor alteration" as Johnathon S stated was going on, but a rooftop space would be oh so cool. 

Edited by Mixed365, 18 May 2014 - 07:23 PM.

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#48 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

Just for fun, I wouldn't mind seeing what a glass dome would look like on top of that rendering.

#49 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:42 PM

Just for fun, I wouldn't mind seeing what a glass dome would look like on top of that rendering.

on the old section, sort of like this? now that is a cool idea

800px-Berlin_reichstag_west_panorama_2.j

Edited by amor de cosmos, 19 May 2014 - 05:52 PM.

#50 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:07 PM

Something tells me Victoria isn't ready for a re-do a la the "Reichstag"

#51 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:14 PM

All I ask is there is no faux heritage or obligatory red brick elements...and whatever Pam Madoff suggests, do the exact opposite.

Can we get an "Amen Brother!!" to this..........

#52 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

Just noticed the chateau roof on the building in this view

post-2911-0-15848500-1399582675.jpg

#53 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:07 PM

Johnathan S., do you know yet what material will be used for the cladding? 

#54 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

Inner Harbour cladding guidelines: "Stone or go home".

• gumgum likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#55 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

Here's a look at the old building

victoria-01.jpg

Then the modernization

victoria-02.jpg

#56 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

I agree stone is a big one on my list.

#57 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

What is the purpose of the building still listed on ICX for sale?

#58 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

Sale pending redevelopment application. Line up potential buyers.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#59 Johnathon S

Johnathon S
  • 15 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:45 AM

Johnathan S., do you know yet what material will be used for the cladding? 

Hi Dylan we still havent chossen the exact material for the outside, we have it narrowed down, when we choose it I will let you know.

#60 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

http://www.timescolo...posal-1.1076089

http://www.customshouse.ca/

here's another pic I found there

IMG_1020-copy.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users