Customs House
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 816 Government Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse)
Sales status: now selling
The Customs House development encompasses a full restoration of the historic Customs House building at Wharf a... (view full profile)
Learn more about Customs House on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Customs House | Condos; commercial | 7- & 5-storeys | Built - completed in 2021

• Please log in to reply
800 replies to this topic

#581 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:38 PM

Downtown is quickly becoming a trash zone. I cannot imagine wanting a condo downtown at this point between all the druggies and Covid. Forget the penthouse, 10 million gets you a beautiful waterfront home in Oak Bay.

• SimonH likes this

#582 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 August 2020 - 08:42 PM

August 16th, 2020

Attached Images

• IMG_8828.JPEG
  • IMG_8829.JPEG
  • IMG_8830.JPEG

• Nparker likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#583 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 01:48 PM

That last photo is an angle we likely don't see too often. It may be the best view of the building once it's all done. I'm looking forward to seeing what they are doing to the exterior of the heritage building.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#584 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 03:03 PM

A “work place accident” that occurred in the 800-block of Government Street has closed several intersections in the area to traffic. This building is in that block. No further details have been released and it’s possible this is an accident at an alternate location on that block. More details to come.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#585 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 03:59 PM

A “work place accident” that occurred in the 800-block of Government Street has closed several intersections in the area to traffic. This building is in that block. No further details have been released and it’s possible this is an accident at an alternate location on that block. More details to come.

TC now reporting it as a death. Sounds like the worker either fell from scaffolding or the scaffolding itself failed.

Edited by spanky123, 22 September 2020 - 03:59 PM.

#586 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 04:07 PM

Very sad. Here is the release from police.

Officers Investigating Sudden Death

Victoria, BC – Officers are investigating a sudden death at a workplace in Victoria this afternoon.

Shortly before 4 p.m. today Patrol officers were called to the 800-block of Government Street for a report that a man suffered potentially life-threatening injuries at a work site. BC Emergency Health Services Paramedics attended along with Patrol officers. Sadly, the victim died from their injuries.

Our thoughts are with the victim’s family and those affected by this incident. Victims Services are available by calling 250-995-7351, or 24 hours through Victim Link at 1-800-563-0808.

Traffic in the area of the 800-block of Government Street is disrupted as officers continue their investigation.

This file is in the early stages of the investigation. We will provide further updates as soon as we are able.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#587 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 07:47 PM

Not the first serious incident on this property.

https://vancouverisl....4610306?cache=

#588 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:21 PM

Stan Sipos, CEO of construction company Cielo Properties, tells CTV News the crane was lifting form work to cast a stairwell in the building when the load dropped.

Oops. Sipos is the developer, not the contractor. The contractor is Banyan and I believe this is their first major project in the core. They are also working on a smaller project in Sidney.

Know it all.

#589 Vin

Vin
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:24 PM

The original Customs House:

https://www.ebay.com...a-/283543376065

What a grand old lady! How architecture of the city has gone downhill since then.

• zoomer likes this

#590 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 10 December 2020 - 07:34 AM

The developer of Customs House is featured in this month's Q&A.

Real-estate values, wine and housing market Q&A with Johnathon Sipos of Cielo Properties

https://victoria.cit...elo-properties/

Know it all.

#591 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 17 January 2021 - 09:31 PM

Wow, last photos in this thread were from August. Another slow moving project. I guess quality takes time right? Here’s my pic from today.

Attached Images

• 5620E96B-06EB-4F80-A976-E4A1365363E7.jpeg

Edited by zoomer, 17 January 2021 - 09:33 PM.

• newbie_01 and Promontory Kingpin like this

#592 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:26 AM

Is it just me or did those cutouts in the overhang around the top come and go from the renderings?

#593 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:37 AM

Rumor from a few people is that they are having a rather difficult time with the remaining sales. Downtown Victoria may be a harder sell than it was a couple of years ago. I suspect that I am going to get the usual response that  everything is wonderful downtown but it really is not. It could be great again but it is not great right now and will not be unless we as a city really take some serious steps.

• Nparker likes this

#594 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:59 AM

There’s only a couple of units left here, so the pressure to sell isn’t what it would have been 30-units ago.

Know it all.

#595 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:06 AM

Rumor from a few people is that they are having a rather difficult time with the remaining sales. Downtown Victoria may be a harder sell than it was a couple of years ago. I suspect that I am going to get the usual response that  everything is wonderful downtown but it really is not. It could be great again but it is not great right now and will not be unless we as a city really take some serious steps.

Sounds like you are just making up random information. Sales have been a major success here with multiple record setting prices. If the developer sells out prior to completion they've left money on the table so the remaining few units, they raise the price to see how much the market will support. I would not call it a difficult time but rather common-sense business. 

#596 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:08 AM

Yes, that’s the gist of it. Victoria loves rumours, though, especially if they’re about someone having a hard time or something not going right.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#597 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:10 AM

...I am going to get the usual response that  everything is wonderful downtown but it really is not. It could be great again but it is not great right now and will not be unless we as a city really take some serious steps.

This much is not rumour.

#598 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:19 AM

Marko: You might well be right. Exactly how many units have not been sold at this point. By a couple do you  actually mean two? Their website suggests at least ten at the moment. 

I agree that presales were really brisk at the out set but I have no idea how many have sold in the last three or four months.

#599 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:21 AM

Nobody wants to sell out in a market where construction prices keep rising. You have to sell gradually once you meet the initial quota to secure financing. Tell whoever is spreading rumours that they’re pushing misinformation.

Know it all.

#600 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:21 AM

This much is not rumour.

Fair enough but Customs house has sold units over $10 million per unit at per square foot prices never seen in Victoria before, like nothing even close. Sales are not an issue at this particular development whatosoever. 

Edited by MarkoJ, 18 January 2021 - 09:24 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users