Customs House
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 816 Government Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse)
Sales status: now selling
The Customs House development encompasses a full restoration of the historic Customs House building at Wharf a... (view full profile)
Learn more about Customs House on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Customs House | Condos; commercial | 7- & 5-storeys | Built - completed in 2021

• Please log in to reply
800 replies to this topic

#681 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 06:42 PM

I really like how this building turned out ... yet another project Ben voted against, but got built anyways and will now supply much needed housing.

If Ben had any seriousness to himself, he would be advocating for housing at a location where he could do good.  Fighting over a prime downtown waterfront space for affordability is illogical and makes him and his argument a mockary.  

#682 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 07:01 PM

Housing for millionaires? Do we need more of that?

I really like how this building turned out ... yet another project Ben voted against, but got built anyways and will now supply much needed housing.

#683 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 07:07 PM

Housing for millionaires? Do we need more of that?

Yes.  Millionaire housing needs no annual operating subsidy, generates significant annual property taxes, and employs more worker/hours to build than other types of housing.  Millionaires that live here - even part-time - spend considerably more money in the local economy than others.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 November 2021 - 07:08 PM.

• Matt R. and lanforod like this

#684 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 10:36 PM

Unless you're filthy rich the specific houses available to you have little bearing on your decision to move to a city. If something like Custom isn't available you'll just buy something else, then have whatever you buy reno'd to your taste. That's basically what is happening in the Vancouver area - perfectly habitable homes being torn down for McMansions everywhere because for the well-off, that's basically the only option. Almost nothing over 1000 sqft gets built within condo buildings because there's so much suppressed demand, so if you have money to burn might as well buy an SFH and maximize your personal space. 

#685 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 11:30 PM

Walked by several times over the last couple of days. There is a sign on the front door telling trades that the entrance is only for residents. On one occasion a moving van was bringing furniture in.

#686 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 07:24 AM

How many units are unsold?

#687 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 07:43 AM

Six or seven are now selling as move-in ready.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#688 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 04:27 PM

One penthouse unit is up for rent. Not interested in it, totally not because I can't afford the $6000+ rent but because they won't let me bring a furry friend!

https://duttons.com/...21-courtney-st/

DETAILS
This exclusive Penthouse residence at the brand new Customs House impresses in every detail, with more than 1200 sq ft of interior and the Inner Harbour/Empress Hotel as your backdrop. A well-designed 1 bedroom, 1.5 bath corner layout offering imported Italian kitchen & vanity cabinetry, high-end appliance package incl. gas range/integrated refrigerator/wine fridge/coffee machine, expansive windows, wide plank engineered wood flooring, spa-inspired bath features, dimmable LED lighting, air conditioning & much more. All built into a classic mix of original stone masonry combined with new concrete construction and the latest building technology. Step outside to dramatic harbour views from your over-sized patio. Walk to boutique shops, oceanfront pathways and all your needs from this irreplaceable location in the heart of Victoria, truly the crown jewel of the Downtown waterfront. Residents will enjoy the benefits of concierge service, full gym w/steam & sauna rooms, separate storage locker, bike storage + underground parking. One year minimum. Sorry, no pets.

https://www.youtube....=emb_ch_name_ex

#689 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 13 April 2022 - 04:03 PM

I gotta say, the prospect of relaxing on a Government Street balcony and spending time doing nothing else but admiring the Belmont Building seems very appealing to me. This is one aspect of Mike K.'s lifestyle that I think I could dig.

customs_house_balcony_from_website-1.jpg

--

customs_house_aerial_from_website-1.jpg

pics from https://www.customshouse.ca

• Nparker and DavidSchell like this

#690 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 16 April 2022 - 05:19 PM

Seriously, if you have a problem with this development then I bet a donut you're almost certainly a jerk (a real jerk, not merely a VV-style poseur jerk who just wants to seem edgy and cool).

The Courtney Street side almost feels like a brand new street. There are radical innovations like entrances and windows and all sorts of other details that suggest active human life. You can really get a sense for it now, how that forgotten block could be a special little lane, even though the south side of the Harbour Square complex is still as sucky as ever.

You know what I hope? I hope the parking lot beside the Union Club gets jealous and tries to outdo this project.

• Kapten Kapsell and qv like this

#691 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 April 2022 - 10:03 AM

Yeah this is a great addition. Absolutely beautiful.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#692 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 17 April 2022 - 10:57 AM

Is it actually sold out yet?

#693 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 25 April 2022 - 11:25 AM

Fairly recent picture:

306-888-government-street-victoria-87092

pic from https://www.zolo.ca/...ment-street/306

• Kapten Kapsell and lanforod like this

#694 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 April 2022 - 01:05 PM

Nice to see the city's bike racks are well used.

Screenshot 2022-04-25 140913.png

Edited by Nparker, 25 April 2022 - 01:10 PM.

#695 corvus

corvus
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 April 2022 - 01:45 PM

in the middle of a workday next to an empty building? seems like an odd fight to pick 

#696 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 April 2022 - 01:50 PM

I didn't realize CoV funded biking infrastructure was only meant to be used by nearby residents on weekends. 

• Barrrister likes this

#697 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 April 2022 - 05:37 PM

Oh that building isn’t empty. It’s now home to some of the region’s wealthiest individuals.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#698 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 09:16 AM

Is it actually sold out yet?

Anybody?

#699 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 10:08 AM

BTW, I walked by on Tuesday and they were finally doing more of the red brick on Government. It's taken a long time for the finishing touches.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#700 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 10:10 AM

I suspect that might be related to a material/supply chain issue.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)