Photo

Q & A with Victoria International Airport CEO Geoff Dickson - Post your questions here

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

Geoff Dickson, CEO of the Victoria International Airport, has offered to answer questions from the VV community regarding the Victoria International Airport, it's business activities, future plans, and operations.

How to post a question
Post your question in this thread. Any questions that the community on the forum can answer will be answered here, otherwise questions will be accumulated and submitted to Mr. Dickson who will then respond with responses.

To discuss the Victoria International Airport please see the airport thread here.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:16 AM

Does the airport have any budget, or plans, to run an ad campaign pointing out the time savings and convenience by flying from here, rather than Vancouver or Seattle or Bellingham?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

Are any discussions currently taking place to add an additional direct year round flight with any of the following destinations:

- Los Angeles

- Prince George

- Portland

I would particularly like to see the Portland flight as it would be short but connect Victoria with another regional hub. 

• Mr_E_Squirrel likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:55 AM

Does the airport have any budget, or plans, to run an ad campaign pointing out the time savings and convenience by flying from here, rather than Vancouver or Seattle or Bellingham?

An extension of that question might be how much promotion and advocacy does the airport do. For example, the Coho ferry has been running a very visible and aggressive advertising and social media campaign.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,233 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

I would like to know the prospects of additional routes in Canada and the U.S. direct from YYJ...actual dates being aimed for?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#6 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

What is the staus on the runway extension?

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:23 AM

What is the staus on the runway extension?

You've been off the board for 5 years, an that's what you come up with?

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

What regulations have prevented, or slowed, potential airport improvements?

Either physical improvements to the airport or number of carriers, flights, etc.

#9 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:18 AM

I would particularly like to see the Portland flight as it would be short but connect Victoria with another regional hub. 

Double thumbs up to this! I would LOVE to be able to go to Portland for a short holiday. But with currently having to change planes in Seattle, it is really not all that appealing.

#10 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:37 AM

I am interested in ground transportation. Please provide any future plans for...

Parking Garage

Public Transport Access (BC Transit)

Possible changes with regards to taxi service

Thank you.

• Nparker likes this

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:52 AM

I am interested in ground transportation. Please provide any future plans for...

Parking Garage

Public Transport Access (BC Transit)

Possible changes with regards to taxi service

Thank you.

Maybe I can add to this... Any way to get a real seamless integration between the BCT bus exchange, and the YYJ shuttle?  ie. any way you can get them to meet, so it's easy to get off the #70 and #72 and the shuttle will always be there?

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:59 PM

Sparky, can you elaborate on what you mean by possible changes to taxi service?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 gkz

gkz
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:03 PM

1. Any plans to 4-lane Willingdon Road from the McTavish interchange to the Airport?
2. At its ultimate length (after planned expansions), what will be the maximum size of airplane the runway will be able to support? (and thus giving us the maximum range the airport will be able to support)
3. What feedback and input did the YYJ give to the Ministry of Transportation regarding the future Beacon Interchange?

Edited by gkz, 09 May 2014 - 05:10 PM.

#14 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:21 PM

I would like to know the prospects of additional routes in Canada and the U.S. direct from YYJ...actual dates being aimed for?

The airlines decide that, based purely on projected numbers. The only way the airport can influence this is to offer to pay the airline XXXX amount of dollars to insure their profitability. This wont happen.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#15 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:42 AM

Double thumbs up to this! I would LOVE to be able to go to Portland for a short holiday. But with currently having to change planes in Seattle, it is really not all that appealing.

And I recently heard that WestJet would be offering direct flights from Victoria to Las Vegas, but when checking their website the flights go through Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton. If that's direct, I'm not too interested.

#16 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:54 AM

^ I will be having lunch today with a Westjet pilot. I will see if there is any early news on this.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

Doesn't Westjet fly direct to Vegas but only a day or two per week seasonally, but plans to make this a yearly frequency?

Know it all.

#18 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:03 AM

^ Not according to this.

http://www.westjet.c...st-las-20140131

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:17 AM

According to http://www.vegasinc....ghts-las-vegas/ they are adding flights this summer direct to Vegas from a number of cities including Victoria. I don't know for certain but the seasonal Vegas flight out of YYJ is over for the season and does not display on their site as an option.

YYJ's website still lists Vegas as a seasonal route: http://www.victoriaa...op-destinations

Know it all.

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:40 AM

Did I hallucinate the direct WestJet flight from YYJ to Vegas I made in 2009?

• Dr. Barillas likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users