New Years Day levees

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:30 PM

OK, not sure where to put this, but politics seems right since it's always done at City Hall, Govt. House etc.

Anyway, never been to one. Anyone going to one this year? Seems like a good way to stay in the eye of the politicians and chat with them informally.

Thoughts?

The word Levée is derived from the French verb lever — to rise (specifically from one's bed) — and has its origins in the Levée du Soleil or Rising of the Sun instituted by King Louis XIV (1643–1715) whose custom it was to receive his male subjects in the Royal bedchamber just after arising, a practice which subsequently spread throughout Europe.

The Levée crossed the English Channel in the 18th Century, and in Great Britain and Ireland became a formal Court assembly (reception) given by the Sovereign or his/her representative in the forenoon or early afternoon, at which only men were received.

In the New World colonies, the Levée was held by the Governor acting on behalf of the Monarch. Because settlers were widely scattered, and separated from the seat of Government, the annual Levée was a very important event, and attendance by village leaders and public dignitaries was compulsory.

It was in Canada that the Levée became associated with New Year's Day. The holding of a Levée by the Governor General and Lieutenant-Governors on New Year's Day is not a continuation of the precedent set by the Sovereign they represent, but rather perpetuates an ancient custom of this country, dating from the days of the fur trade. The people of the trade traditionally paid their respects to their representative of government — the Master of the Fort — on New Year's Day.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:27 PM

I went to one a couple of years ago at Government House (there are several throughout the city, I believe), and all I can say is that our lieutenant-governor is one hell of a class A public servant. She is amazing.

Don't know if you would get a chance to speak with her in a way that she'll actually remember (at these levees, she's on her feet for an unbelievably long time -- I'd pass out and forget everything, but she seems made of sterner stuff). But go anyway. It's fun. Plus, the view from the mezzanine at Government House is quite something...!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:42 PM

"The City of Victoria will be hosting its New Year's Day Levee on Monday, January 1st, 2007 from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the City Hall Antechember.

This is a time-honoured tradition hosted by the Ctiy of Victoria and we invite all citizens to join Mayor Lowe and Council Members in welcoming in the year 2007."
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:48 PM

Well, so you can go to Gov't House at 10 am or whenever it starts, have lunch, and then go to City Hall! :)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:25 PM

They co-ordinate the times so you can go to all of them--Saanich, Oak Bay etc.

Each municipality tries to outdo the others with hospitality.

I've never been to one. I might give it a try.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#6 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:56 AM

these levées are blatant discrimination against a whole swath of society! billions of people party hard on new years eve and can't do anything meaningful the next day. how are they expected to have the to opportunity to participate in our democracy in this manor?!?!? it boggles my mind!!!

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:42 AM

Yeah that is why I didn't join the discussion. I mean do I want to talk to Iona when I will be feeling that bad?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:25 AM

It didn't stop [url=http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2006/10/17/2051470-cp.html:20be4]these guys[/url:20be4], remember.

#9 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:13 AM

I agree about Iona. I'd have her for queen and prime minister if I could.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:34 AM

Man I miss the best party's. That story kills me everytime I read it!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:57 AM

Les Leyne, Times Colonist
Published: Saturday, December 23, 2006

[...]

But I close the year with an enduring image stuck in my mind. It was just a momentary diversion in the rush of events. But in reviewing the cascading news stories, I am stuck on it.

It wasn't a treaty signing, or the softwood lumber deal, or Harper's win.

It was a reeling, drunken liquor branch maintenance worker capping his 25 years of service in the warehouses by falling flat on his face as he mounted the dais at Government House to get his moment of vice-regal recognition.

Then, magnificently, against all odds, he crawled heroically up the steps "rising with hands up like a gymnast does after making a landing," according to one account.

I refer, of course, to "Party Boy." An account here in October of a labour arbitrator's report on the drunken escapades of assorted liquor branch employees at the lieutenant-governor's dinner the previous year struck a chord.

The arbitrator's dry, deadpan recounting of testimony and evidence about a party that steadily spiralled out of control seemed to touch many readers as well. I've never received so many accounts of people spewing coffee across the kitchen table, or weeping with laughter as they read it aloud to spouses.

Part of it was the heckling of the L-G during her speech ("F--- this!" "Gordon Campbell is full of s---!" What about the f------ teachers?!"). The theft of her silverware compounded the horror. And the capper was the response of a female long-service award winner to her moment of glory: "You can have my pin, you f------ *****." The evening was so far outside the bounds of good behaviour that the reactions of most people seems to transcend horror and revulsion and arrive at hilarity.

It stands as a breathtaking example of what you can get away with in this magnificent province of opportunity, if you really put your mind to it. Particularly since the arbitrator reversed Party Boy's firing and gave him his job back.

So thank you to all the people who make B.C. better in so many ways.

Thank you to those who make it interesting and exciting.

And here's to you, Party Boy. May you always nail your landings (and always taxi home).

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2006

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:13 AM

You are invited to pay your respects to the Master at City Hall Friday.

The Master will be out of town, vacationing is Mexico, but you can pay your respects to the Acting Master, Lynn Hunter.

#13 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:54 PM

Free parking will be available at all City-owned parkades and parking meters
on New Year’s Day.

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:58 PM

Apparantly the Levees were serving up some great food a few years ago until someone thought it would be a good idea to round up a bus full of homeless people and take them to these free public events.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#15 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:59 PM

Free parking will be available at all City-owned parkades and parking meters
on New Year’s Day.

As Dear Leader is on holiday, Lynn "Let Them Eat Cake" Hunter will be receiving the peons and presiding over the event. Aside from Deano himself, I can't think of a more appropriate autocrat to whom to pledge our fealty. Long live The Empress!

#16 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:42 PM

Apparantly the Levees were serving up some great food a few years ago until someone thought it would be a good idea to round up a bus full of homeless people and take them to these free public events.

^
Bingo!

Poor people's tour makes round of levees

http://www.timescolo...1430/story.html
TC DECEMBER 30, 2009

Some of Victoria's poor and homeless will once again take to the road Jan. 1 to rub elbows with local government, business and community leaders.
The Annual Poor People's Tour begins at 9 a.m. at Victoria City Hall, where the down and out will mingle with others before hitting the road on a bus tour of local New Year's levees.[...]

#17 Chris J

Chris J
  • 215 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:34 PM

This is the Poor People's levee tour's 14th year. So tell me, sebbery, how was the food at the Levees in 1996?
Seems to me that Government House has tea and cookies in 2008, and soup and sandwiches in 2009. In some places it seems to get better.
Homeless and poor people shouldn't be able to mingle with their betters. They should just huddle outside somewhere and wait for Our Place to reopen on January 2.
B the Media @ B Channel News
Local Comprehensive Coverage

http://bchannelnews.tv

#18 Chris J

Chris J
  • 215 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:45 PM

I think the main difference between the poor people and anyone else at the levees is that we carpool as a group of 50 people, and everyone else drives there 1-2 people in a car.
B the Media @ B Channel News
Local Comprehensive Coverage

http://bchannelnews.tv

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:00 PM

Levees used to be respectable affairs. Folks would get dressed up, nibble on snacks and chat and mingle with their neighbours and community leaders.

Today, it seems to have more to do with "crashing" it, albeit in a more genteel way, and pigging out on free food.

I recognize their right to attend but the general impolite and boorish behaviour turned me off from attending levees again.

#20 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:21 AM

That's right. These levees are now staging grounds for protests.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users