* * * * * 3 votes

Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#2341 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:33 PM

The G&M did testing months ago and released their results. Why would anything think that pot here would be any different?

Historically speaking people in British Columbia generally speaking have always thought their Cannabis to be far superior to Ontario, the reputation of Ontario has always been that it's tainted. Generally speaking maybe even arrogantly British Columbians have thought they have the best most pure Cannabis in the world.

Edited by todd, 25 September 2016 - 12:35 PM.

#2342 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

People are more willing to take a risk with this product as there used to out buying it from some persons underwear drawer. Testing may change people's buying habits.

If you're worried, it's not that hard to get medical approval for cannabis and purchase from Health Canada suppliers here in 2016.

Edited by todd, 25 September 2016 - 12:47 PM.

#2343 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:07 AM

Historically speaking people in British Columbia generally speaking have always thought their Cannabis to be far superior to Ontario, the reputation of Ontario has always been that it's tainted. Generally speaking maybe even arrogantly British Columbians have thought they have the best most pure Cannabis in the world.

The good stuff doesn't get sold locally, it heads south in exchange for drugs coming up from south and central America.

It's not easy to get BC's top-tier pot for this reason. We might think it's the top stuff, but it's far more lucrative to sell it to the Americans than distribute it locally. At least so the story goes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2344 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:10 AM

The good stuff doesn't get sold locally, it heads south in exchange for drugs coming up from south and central America.

It's not easy to get BC's top-tier pot for this reason. We might think it's the top stuff, but it's far more lucrative to sell it to the Americans than distribute it locally. At least so the story goes.

I'm not sure you can believe all the stories.  Sure there is some trade product for product, but it's probably as rare as barter is today between individuals.  Mostly it's cash sales.  Cash moves physically or electronically across borders way more easily than drugs.  

Why risk both sides of a transaction?

• Dr. Barillas likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2345 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:19 AM

Yeah I don't know, I think we have had for a long time quite a large amount of local production, the risk to benefit might not bring the green stuff over the border, at least our way, and I'm sure the supply chain is changing in the US with the states individually legalizing it such as Washington State.

Most Victoria dispensaries proudly state Island grown, apparently Vancouver is even to tainted. Nothing bad has ever happened on the island?

Edited by todd, 26 September 2016 - 11:28 AM.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#2346 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:02 PM

http://www.vicnews.c.../395035161.html

Some B.C. towns not high on pot stores - Victoria News

In Nelson you can get tacos and marijuana in one stop. In Merritt, you may get six RCMP cruisers and a search warrant

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2347 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:48 AM

“Surrey RCMP have shut down our Guildford location. RCMP have stationed uniformed officers outside of 90-10330 152nd St, a non-violent medical cannabis dispensary,” the notice reads.

“Weeds needs your support to show taxpayers will not support the misuse of public funds to restrict patient access to cannabis, while more serious crimes could be attended to.”

The message also encouraged supporters to stop by the location or make phone calls to local police and government to express their concerns. Below the message are several screengrabs from a security camera showing RCMP officers posted outside the shop.

Jas Rehal, Surrey’s bylaw manager, said the city intends to continue cracking down on illegal dispensaries.

“Right now, it’s illegal to have these dispensaries and until time when the federal government actually changes these regulations … our bylaws will stay in place,” said Rehal. “Once those changes happen in Ottawa, we’ll look at revising our bylaws accordingly.”

Rehal said there was one other dispensary he knew of that was in contravention of bylaws and was being dealt with by police, but maintained there were no other dispensaries operating illegally in Surrey.

Cannabis advocate Jodie Emery told Postmedia that a Cannabis Culture store owned by her and husband Marc was raided Thursday in Peterborough, Ont. 

“So it’s happening all across the country. I think it’s because they’ve (law enforcement) been bolstered by the federal government, who has made it very clear that they intend for the law to continue,” she said of the “very disturbing trend,” noting that enforcement seemed to be even “heavier” than the experience under the previous Harper government.

http://www.theprovin...6460/story.html

• Nparker likes this

#2348 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:28 AM

14517651_1294032793949723_47019678280646

• Nparker likes this

#2349 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:29 AM

I love the blanket letter.

Why not just give a letter to everybody about a long list of violations then say "if this does not apply to you..."

That letter does not cover off medicinal use, either.  That's not "criminal activity".

• todd and Dr. Barillas like this

#2350 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:48 AM

The first application has been received.

Smart move.

Leaf.jpg

Victoria receives first pot shop rezoning application

http://victoria.citi...ng-application/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2351 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:21 PM

http://vancouverisla...tions-1.3107209

A battle is brewing in Victoria over a space that allows pot smokers to light up in a social setting.

The Green Ceiling allows people to smoke their own marijuana for a small fee.

On Thursday the city’s only dedicated cannabis lounge was issued a cease and desist order.

• Nparker likes this

#2352 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:31 PM

14517651_1294032793949723_47019678280646

If only people had somewhere elsewhere rule/law abiding to go.

With good ventilation and filtration units.

#2353 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:04 AM

they do its called outside

• Nparker, todd and Daveyboy like this

#2354 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:16 AM

they do its called outside

As long as that's okay with you.

#2355 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:23 AM

"We have to look tough on something"

#2356 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:35 AM

Do Helps & Co. ever say why they do not support safe consumption sites for marijuana?  I know Alto supports it.  It's kind of hypocritical, no?  Save-injection for heroin being given a green light, with our tax dollars, but marijuana safe usage by a private business a no-go? 

• todd likes this

#2357 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:07 AM

Why not just write into the bylaw on-site consumption is permitted, "if no smell is allowed to be released from the premises through proper ventilation and filtration, if such smell is detected such establishment will immediately be shut down" (same policy should be in place for food smells). Pot shops are useless now in Victoria there's Health Canada Cannabis. Safe/filtered inhalation sites are the only places that makes sense at this time. I'm sure they wouldn't cause a fraction of the nuisance the drinking bars/pubs/clubs result in(can't they just do that at their place of residence? no filtration even required).

Edited by todd, 08 October 2016 - 11:09 AM.

#2358 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:18 AM

Because smoking inside businesses, work places and near doorways and windows near buildings is illegal.

Edited by HB, 08 October 2016 - 11:20 AM.

#2359 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:21 AM

Because smoking inside businesses, work places and near doorways and windows near buildings is illegal.

Not for Cannabis.

https://www.crd.bc.c...).pdf?sfvrsn=12

Edited by todd, 08 October 2016 - 11:23 AM.

#2360 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:24 AM

That's only true for cigarettes and cigar smoke.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users