Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#3141 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:24 AM

City councillors decided Thursday to forward an application for Trees, at 546 Yates St., to public hearing, while deferring consideration of a second application from Pure Releaf, for its proposed dispensary at 510-512 Yates St. — less than half a block from the Trees outlet

. - See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.pVI1wetO.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3142 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:27 AM

I agree. The city should be doing something: enforcing federal laws and shutting these illegal businesses down. It's just that simple.

ps: "can't do nothing" is atrocious grammar  :whyme:

I think that the actual quote was 'can't do nuttin' but the TC's spell checker auto-corrected it!

• Nparker likes this

#3143 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:43 AM

Is there no legal recourse for citizens to deal with a mayor who is refusing to uphold federal law??

#3144 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:08 AM

Is there no legal recourse for citizens to deal with a mayor who is refusing to uphold federal law??

I suppose you can sue or try for some type of injunction, as a citizen.  You'd need to be a lawyer or be able to pay lots for one to help.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3145 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:04 AM

I commented on this earlier in the thread. I believe that there is a provision where you can sue the police to try and get them to enforce a law but in this case it is the board apparently directing them not to.

#3146 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:05 AM

Unless, as VHF states, you are willing to pay the costs of taking Her Worseship to court, I suspect the only recourse is at the ballot box in the fall of 2018. And if she chooses not to run again she gets away "scot free".  :mad:

#3147 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:24 AM

And when your ex-police chief looks like he is going into business consulting to pot shops!

https://www.linkedin...rs-frank-elsner

If regulation goes properly, pot operations will need no higher security than booze operations, cigarette operations, jewellers etc.   

#3148 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:30 AM

If regulation goes properly, pot operations will need no higher security than booze operations, cigarette operations, jewellers etc.   

Given that even the feds are now saying not to expect any law to be in place before 2019, there is a lot of money available in the mean time if you can make $1K - $2K a month per shop for consulting services.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3149 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:39 AM

A Zagat-rated downtown Victoria restaurant has closed after nearly two decades in business due to what its operators are calling a forced eviction. Restaurant Matisse, a cornerstone of the lower Yates commercial district, opened at 512 Yates Street in 1998 and quickly became one of the Capital City’s top dining experiences...The City of Victoria’s first marijuana dispensary rezoning application tied to the restaurant’s address will go before council next week in the hopes that politicians will sanction the first legal pot-shop in the downtown core...

http://victoria.citi...sed-dispensary/

This is getting totally out of control. Is every other effin retail space downtown going to become a dispensary? The CoV cannot allow this to continue. Oh and just because the city gives a pot shop a business license this does NOT make them legal in the eyes of federal legislation.  :mad:

#3150 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:42 AM

Given that even the feds are now saying not to expect any law to be in place before 2019, there is a lot of money available in the mean time if you can make $1K - $2K a month per shop for consulting services.

I guess.  But you are taking a very active role in drug trafficking in the eyes of the law.  Remember, even here in Greater Victoria we are arresting transporters of pot.  Helijet, the IRSU traffic stop near the ferry, the 420 bike. 

Grow ops are still being shut.

• Nparker likes this

#3151 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:52 AM

^ I am not suggesting that Chief Elsner is doing any consulting to local pot shops. I only pointed out what he has blogged about and this comment from his linkedin profile.

Sitting on various national and provincial committees has allowed me to have a direct influence on how we can better represent communities and, in particular, our First Nations. I've been able to raise my community’s supportive views as they relate to the new cannabis legislation and also advocate for our less fortunate, disadvantaged and homeless. 

Further, my Risk Management and Business Continuity certifications have given me a unique ability to analyze various processes, policies and operations, both proactively and professionally. 

I'm not sure what the future holds, but whatever it might be, it will be driven by passion. I'm excited by the opportunities.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 February 2017 - 10:11 AM.

#3152 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:58 AM

I can't believe I have to keep posting this, but Health Canada's regulations seem pretty clear to me

Already at least one part of that law was determined to be illegal, just because laws are on the books doesn't mean they're not illegal laws.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...uling-1.3461694

Sometimes it's hard to say who's breaking the law...

#3153 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:09 AM

Is that really what I said?

I don't know where I would go in public to see them in Langford but on a Friday or Saturday I am sure to find some at the Red Lion.

Finding them in Langford on any given day is like finding a herd of Freemasons in Oak Bay hanging out at a coffee shop..it just doesn't happen

The Oak bay Freemason chapter seem to move out of Oak Bay they sold the backside of the Saint Mary's church and move downtown it looks like, you can ask one of the Freemasons here on Vibrant Victoria for information.

Edited by todd, 17 February 2017 - 10:09 AM.

#3154 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:11 AM

^ ^ ^  will he use twitter in the consulting business?

#3155 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,754 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:50 AM

Already at least one part of that law was determined to be illegal, just because laws are on the books doesn't mean they're not illegal laws...

Actually the "law" to which I was referring allows for medicinal users to grow their own supply, so no, part of it has not been determined to be illegal since the latest regulations were put in place last summer.

Individuals with a medical need, and who have the authorization of their health care practitioner, will now be able to access cannabis in three ways: they can continue to access quality-controlled cannabis by registering with licensed producers, they can register with Health Canada to produce a limited amount for their own medical purposes, or they can designate someone else to produce it for them...

https://www.canada.c...lations.html#a5

Edited by Nparker, 17 February 2017 - 10:55 AM.

#3156 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

And when your ex-police chief looks like he is going into business consulting to pot shops!

https://www.linkedin...rs-frank-elsner

Not ExChief Lisa Helps is still throwing 10s of thousands of dollars his way for doing nothing 2 first class losers in my opinion

Edited by HB, 17 February 2017 - 11:18 AM.

#3157 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:28 AM

So in this wacky upside down world of Victoria council who is more likely to get busted?

A mobile food vendor parked outside the drug dealer 'dispensary' on Quadra at Kings selling a glass of wine with your food purchase? or the drug dealer 'dispensary' for selling a product that is illegal? 

• Nparker likes this

#3158 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:47 AM

...the largest municipality in the region, Saanich, has managed without a single one.

Easily explained. Pot shops belong in Victoria, especially downtown. They must be in Victoria, especially downtown. The city's very existence necessitates their presence. Essential, inherent, intrinsic, inevitable. Inseparable. They've always been there. They always will be there. Just like the prostitutes and pimps on Government Street.*

*The prostitutes and pimps are still there, right? Because if they aren't that would blow my entire premise right out of the water.

• Nparker and rjag like this

#3159 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:51 AM

So in this wacky upside down world of Victoria council who is more likely to get busted?

A mobile food vendor parked outside the drug dealer 'dispensary' on Quadra at Kings selling a glass of wine with your food purchase? or the drug dealer 'dispensary' for selling a product that is illegal? 

Maybe, but: http://vancouversun....icensing-regime

• rjag likes this

#3160 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:22 PM

When you have a restaurant like Matisse closing so they can open a dispensary in that location, that's just the beginning of many tips of the iceberg.

I think it should be a requirement to limit dispensaries to just streets that have dedicated bike lanes in front of their shops, as cyclists don't like to use side streets.

Maybe the pimps and prostitutes should only be allowed to work the sidewalks outside of dispensaries.

While we are at it...safe injection sites should only be available next door to a dispensary.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users