* * * * * 3 votes

Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#3701 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:07 PM

REJECTED.  The application for the very bottom of Yates has been rejected...

Does that mean it will not operate or will it just function without a license like they have all done for the past 2 years? It's not like anyone in the city enforces these bylaws.

#3702 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:14 PM

Does that mean it will not operate or will it just function without a license like they have all done for the past 2 years? It's not like anyone in the city enforces these bylaws.

Before the vote they asked what would be the enforcement strategy if they rejected it.  Staff said this one is just an application, not already running.  Council seemed relieved.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3703 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:20 PM

Before the vote they asked what would be the enforcement strategy if they rejected it.  Staff said this one is just an application, not already running.  Council seemed relieved.

In other words, Council will either rubber stamp the licenses for all existing outlets or have to admit they don't have an enforcement plan for those that don't meet the licensing requirements.

#3704 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

U.S. cannabis producer lists in Canada

Friday Night Inc., a Nevada-licensed marijuana producer is breaking ground with a Canadian stock listing that allows it to raise funds to grow and sell pot in the legally murky U.S. market, writes Sunny Freeman. Friday Night made its public trading debut on the Canadian Securities Exchange (CSE) and saw its shares spike 467 per cent to close its first day with a market value of $44.2 million, suggesting there is significant investor interest in companies with U.S. state licences to cultivate cannabis. U.S. marijuana companies are forbidden to list on public stock exchanges in their home country because the drug is considered a Schedule I narcotic at the federal level. The Obama administration made it clear it would not step in to prosecute operators in states where the drug is legal, but signals from the Trump administration have been harder to read.

http://business.fina...-day-on-june-19

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3705 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:06 PM

The City of Vancouver has collected only 14% of illegal pot shop fines

The City of Vancouver has fined marijuana dispensaries nearly one million dollars since they started penalizing businesses without a permit.

But not much has been collected.

Vancouver bylaw officers are 10 infractions away from breaking the million dollar barrier since fines came into play a little over a year ago.

READ MORE: Vancouver bylaws close 22 pot shops

The City says it has collected about $140,000, just over 14 per cent of the grand total.

http://globalnews.ca...ollects-little/

#3706 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:48 AM

And probably most of the money that was collected was done in the first few weeks. It has been common knowledge that the fines weren't being paid so I can't see why any of the illegal pot shops would be paying them. 

The broader story though is how many of the operating pot shops have actually gone through the approval process with the City? The answer is not many!

#3707 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:51 AM

...The broader story though is how many of the operating pot shops have actually gone through the approval process with the City? The answer is not many!

Why bother? If no one is going to enforce any penalties, there seems little reason to comply.

#3708 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:56 AM

Why bother? If no one is going to enforce any penalties, there seems little reason to comply.

Is there any chance that, now that the acting chief has become a real chief, that he might actually stand up to the Reich Chancellor and start actually enforcing the law?

#3709 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:09 AM

Is there any chance that, now that the acting chief has become a real chief, that he might actually stand up to the Reich Chancellor and start actually enforcing the law?

I would say there is a zero percent chance of that happening. His obedience is what got him the job without any candidate search being conducted.

• Nparker and Daveyboy like this

#3710 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:21 AM

The incredulity on the part of Victoria Council is rather difficult to believe.

Victoria city council is taking a sober second look at the space between Cannabis Dispensary shops. Right now the bylaw stands at 200 metres but 2 councilors want that moved up to 400 metres, more in line with provincial regulations for liquor stores. Charlayne Thornton-Joe is proposing the change along with Councillor Margaret Lucas.  "We were surprised by how many applications we received and in downtown alone you could see that there was going to be quite a few I think it was up to 30 dispensaries if it was up to 200 metres apart."...

http://www.iheartrad...aries-1.2790340

Surprised? Really? I know Ms. Thornton-Joe is not a resident of Victoria, but surely she has eyes. The proliferation of illegal storefront pot shops can hardly have gone unnoticed, even by this Council.

I still expect there will be a rude awakening for many once Ottawa and the Province implement actual regulations (and presumably enforceable penalties) after legalization comes into effect.

• Daveyboy likes this

#3711 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:37 AM

^Maybe the perception at City Hall was that the regulations would scare away the weak and unorganized, but it appears the pot shops are committed to going all in. I'm still amazed there's enough business for all of them.

#3712 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:44 AM

...I'm still amazed there's enough business for all of them.

I guess there must be lots of "sick" people out there, who were at death's door prior to all these "medicinal" shops opening. I am surprised we haven't seen a sharp decline in the local mortality rates.  ;) 

Seriously though, when you aren't paying any taxes or licensing fees and your product is supplied from dubious sources, I suspect your expenses are significantly less than most businesses.

• Love the rock likes this

#3713 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:44 PM

It appears the 400 meter buffer zone will become the new standard

A move to extend the buffer zone between cannabis retailers in the City of Victoria from 200 to 400 metres is expected to effectively halve the number of operations currently in place. Council sitting as committee of the whole Thursday voted 7-2 on a motion to extend the distance between shops...

http://www.vicnews.c...be-cut-in-half/

I suppose that's a start, however, if the same lack of enforcement for non-compliant dispensaries continues it's all rather a moot point isn't it?

...Councillors also heard from city staff on enforcement issues. While only two dispensaries have so far been granted the rezoning to operate within current city bylaws, all but four or five have begun the rezoning process. Some have been handed the $1,000 a day fine for non-compliance and encouraged to apply for a rezoning and a business licence. It remains to be seen whether some dispensaries will continue to operate even if they are rejected for rezonings given the new buffer zone. Helps acknowledged that enforcement may likely be one of the next challenges the City has in this longstanding issue.

http://www.vicnews.c...be-cut-in-half/

The only "challenge" is the CoV's continued unwillingness to enforce laws & bylaws. None of the unlicensed shops should be allowed to continue to operate.

#3714 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:02 PM

Isitt was on CFAX today and spoke of his vote opposing these changes.  Among the reasons, too few stores would create a situation where it would be too lucrative for the remaining store operators. 

Yes, Ben, people earning a good living is a bad thing. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3715 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:19 PM

Isitt was on CFAX today and spoke of his vote opposing these changes.  Among the reasons, too few stores would create a situation where it would be too lucrative for the remaining store operators... 

What exactly is "too lucrative"? Even for Comrade Ben that is an odd statement...or perhaps it isn't.  :whyme: 

I don't suppose he mentioned the fact that storefront marijuana shops are still against federal laws and by allowing them to proliferate the CoV is complicit in their illegal activity.

• Daveyboy likes this

#3716 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:58 PM

I realize it's a CFAX poll, but still, the results are not exactly in Comrade Ben's favour

poll.JPG

(of course to vote for Ben you pretty much have to be stoned 24/7)

#3717 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:23 PM

https://youtu.be/i_x4YZ8skiA?t=8s

#3718 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:03 PM

I realize it's a CFAX poll, but still, the results are not exactly in Comrade Ben's favour

poll.JPG

(of course to vote for Ben you pretty much have to be stoned 24/7)

Where was the option to say you didn't want them at all, or for that matter any illegal business?

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3719 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:01 PM

Where was the option to say you didn't want them at all, or for that matter any illegal business?

I just voted 10 times so there must be a way.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3720 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:00 PM

I guess there must be lots of "sick" people out there, who were at death's door prior to all these "medicinal" shops opening. I am surprised we haven't seen a sharp decline in the local mortality rates.  ;) 

Seriously though, when you aren't paying any taxes or licensing fees and your product is supplied from dubious sources, I suspect your expenses are significantly less than most businesses.

Yes, it's amazing how few people in Saanch are dying, with no shops there.

• Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users