Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#3821 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:04 AM

I get the impression that you think law enforcement is champing at the bit to take down these pot heads and bust the stores. They're just being held back by Lisa Helps and her leftie Councillors. A substantial number of police officers support legal pot. Any time spent arresting people for pot offences is time not spent investigating or preventing assaults, rapes, vandalism, robberies and other real crime.

• David Bratzer and GaryRanson like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#3822 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:10 AM

^ my understanding though is that a lot of the profit of local pot goes to local crime gangs?

#3823 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:12 AM

I get the impression that you think law enforcement is champing at the bit to take down these pot heads and bust the stores. They're just being held back by Lisa Helps and her leftie Councillors. A substantial number of police officers support legal pot. Any time spent arresting people for pot offences is time not spent investigating or preventing assaults, rapes, vandalism, robberies and other real crime.

The law is the law. You cannot pick & choose which ones to observe and which you will ignore. It is clear that politics is influencing this situation and that is what I object to the most.

• Midnightly and pennymurphy2000 like this

#3824 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:24 AM

The law is the law. You cannot pick & choose which ones to observe and which you will ignore.

But policing is a scarce resource, so they DO have to pick and choose what's worth investigating and enforcing. And as Hotel Mike noted, there's a lot more serious crimes happening in our community that busting a pot shop is pretty far down near the bottom of the priority list. Rightfully in my opinion, given the waste of police resources and further clogging of the court system it would lead to.

• GaryRanson likes this

#3825 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

But policing is a scarce resource, so they DO have to pick and choose what's worth investigating and enforcing...

Funny, it's not a drain on police resources in other parts of the CRD. I wonder what the difference is?

#3826 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

Funny, it's not a drain on police resources in other parts of the CRD. I wonder what the difference is?

Well, for starters, there's the homelessness, mental health and opioid issues in Victoria that take up a lot of police attention and are not really issues in the rest of the CRD. Issues that actually endanger peoples' safety.

#3827 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:08 AM

But policing is a scarce resource, so they DO have to pick and choose what's worth investigating and enforcing. And as Hotel Mike noted, there's a lot more serious crimes happening in our community that busting a pot shop is pretty far down near the bottom of the priority list. Rightfully in my opinion, given the waste of police resources and further clogging of the court system it would lead to.

But what if I opened a liquor store, even buying my booze at a government store, but marking it up 10% for re-sale?  I'd be closed that day.  

So I'm not sure about the policing priority thing.  In the largest municipality here, are rapes, vandalism and robberies way up since Saanich has been keeping pot stores away?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 24 July 2017 - 09:08 AM.

• Nparker and lanforod like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3828 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:25 AM

Well, for starters, there's the homelessness, mental health and opioid issues in Victoria that take up a lot of police attention and are not really issues in the rest of the CRD...

So the fact that the majority of the rest of the CRD has not allowed pot shops to flourish isn't a factor?

#3829 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:48 AM

The law is the law. You cannot pick & choose which ones to observe and which you will ignore. It is clear that politics is influencing this situation and that is what I object to the most.

https://books.google...nal Law&f=false

Harry Anslinger:

“primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races.” “Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.” “There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others.”

• Hotel Mike and johnk like this

#3830 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:21 PM

That's interesting quote, but my only concern is the fact that in the CRD political maneuvering has directly impacted the proliferation of illegal street front marijuana dispensaries.

#3831 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

That's interesting quote, but my only concern is the fact that in the CRD political maneuvering has directly impacted the proliferation of illegal street front marijuana dispensaries.

https://books.google...nal Law&f=false

#3832 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

Well, for starters, there's the homelessness, mental health and opioid issues in Victoria that take up a lot of police attention and are not really issues in the rest of the CRD. Issues that actually endanger peoples' safety.

Yes that's true. You normalize pot shops, provide low barrier shelters, encourage safe illegal drug use and pretty soon your police are very busy with more serious crimes. I don't know why that happens.

• Nparker, spanky123, Midnightly and 1 other like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3833 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:04 AM

I had to laugh at a local pot shop that feels the CoV isn't playing by the rules by "singling" them out for their proximity to a school.

...Bradbury...believes the city is singling out Green Dragon because it sells cannabis products. "Council arbitrarily deciding what's a school? That's not good public policy, that's not good governance," he said. "And that should be a concern for any business in the city."...

http://www.cheknews....hildren-350624/

Talk about the "pot" calling the kettle black. An illegal business doesn't like the way they are being treated? That's hilarious. If Green Dragon were in just about any other municipality in the CRD they wouldn't be allowed to operate at all. It's interesting to note that despite continued fines being levied, the shop is apparently still operating. 

Edited by Nparker, 27 July 2017 - 08:08 AM.

#3834 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:59 AM

"Council arbitrarily deciding what's a school?"

It's one of the oldest extant schools in Victoria so I'm not sure this is really so arbitrary after all. Has there ever been a time when classes for children weren't being offered there for one purpose or another?

Something else to consider: what if downtown's population increases to the point that a (gasp) new school opens somewhere? Victorians might one day be forced to make a "Sophie's choice" on this issue.

Edited by aastra, 27 July 2017 - 09:16 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#3835 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:11 AM

Simple. You put it up on the 48th floor of a tower and you're good. And the kids will love seeing the chopper coming and going throughout the day.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3836 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:18 AM

Victorians might one day be forced to make a "Sophie's choice" on this issue.

Hopefully common sense will prevail and expanding the glut of pot shops will continue to hold priority over the health and welfare of children & the atmosphere and history of Chinatown, the old town, and downtown overall.

• Nparker likes this

#3837 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:30 AM

It's one of the oldest extant schools in Victoria so I'm not sure this is really so arbitrary after all. Has there ever been a time when classes for children weren't being offered there for one purpose or another?

Something else to consider: what if downtown's population increases to the point that a (gasp) new school opens somewhere? Victorians might one day be forced to make a "Sophie's choice" on this issue.

[Shoot - I hate to side with the lawbreakers here] The whole 'think of the children' issue seems silly to me..200M from a school, or the kids might see a potshop?!  Really? - and travelling around the city by other means they won't? To draw an imperfect analogy, every time we visit the London Drugs at Saanich centre, I park outside the liquor store there, and my kids haven't, yet, shown a tendency towards alcohol use/abuse

• todd likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#3838 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:37 AM

Why is Green Dragon so concerned about the letter of the law now? Clearly, they have no issues with breaking federal regulations, but far be it for the CoV to dare impose bylaw restrictions on them. Boo-hoo.

#3839 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:45 AM

The whole 'think of the children' issue seems silly to me...

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying this same premise is applied for all sorts of different things, so why should pot shops be exempt?

Edited by aastra, 27 July 2017 - 09:46 AM.

#3840 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:52 AM

...why should pot shops be exempt?

Illegal businesses apparently feel they are exempt from all rules.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users