Marijuana businesses / dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
3831 replies to this topic

#3821 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 1,314 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:04 AM

I get the impression that you think law enforcement is champing at the bit to take down these pot heads and bust the stores. They're just being held back by Lisa Helps and her leftie Councillors. A substantial number of police officers support legal pot. Any time spent arresting people for pot offences is time not spent investigating or preventing assaults, rapes, vandalism, robberies and other real crime.

• David Bratzer and GaryRanson like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#3822 lanforod

lanforod
  • 4,792 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:10 AM

^ my understanding though is that a lot of the profit of local pot goes to local crime gangs?

#3823 Nparker

Nparker
  • 14,803 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:12 AM

I get the impression that you think law enforcement is champing at the bit to take down these pot heads and bust the stores. They're just being held back by Lisa Helps and her leftie Councillors. A substantial number of police officers support legal pot. Any time spent arresting people for pot offences is time not spent investigating or preventing assaults, rapes, vandalism, robberies and other real crime.

The law is the law. You cannot pick & choose which ones to observe and which you will ignore. It is clear that politics is influencing this situation and that is what I object to the most.

#3824 gstc84

gstc84
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:24 AM

The law is the law. You cannot pick & choose which ones to observe and which you will ignore.

But policing is a scarce resource, so they DO have to pick and choose what's worth investigating and enforcing. And as Hotel Mike noted, there's a lot more serious crimes happening in our community that busting a pot shop is pretty far down near the bottom of the priority list. Rightfully in my opinion, given the waste of police resources and further clogging of the court system it would lead to.

• GaryRanson likes this

#3825 Nparker

Nparker
  • 14,803 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

But policing is a scarce resource, so they DO have to pick and choose what's worth investigating and enforcing...

Funny, it's not a drain on police resources in other parts of the CRD. I wonder what the difference is?

#3826 gstc84

gstc84
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

Funny, it's not a drain on police resources in other parts of the CRD. I wonder what the difference is?

Well, for starters, there's the homelessness, mental health and opioid issues in Victoria that take up a lot of police attention and are not really issues in the rest of the CRD. Issues that actually endanger peoples' safety.

#3827 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • 45,521 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:08 AM

But policing is a scarce resource, so they DO have to pick and choose what's worth investigating and enforcing. And as Hotel Mike noted, there's a lot more serious crimes happening in our community that busting a pot shop is pretty far down near the bottom of the priority list. Rightfully in my opinion, given the waste of police resources and further clogging of the court system it would lead to.

But what if I opened a liquor store, even buying my booze at a government store, but marking it up 10% for re-sale?  I'd be closed that day.  

So I'm not sure about the policing priority thing.  In the largest municipality here, are rapes, vandalism and robberies way up since Saanich has been keeping pot stores away?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 24 July 2017 - 09:08 AM.

• Nparker and lanforod like this

#3828 Nparker

Nparker
  • 14,803 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:25 AM

Well, for starters, there's the homelessness, mental health and opioid issues in Victoria that take up a lot of police attention and are not really issues in the rest of the CRD...

So the fact that the majority of the rest of the CRD has not allowed pot shops to flourish isn't a factor?

#3829 todd

todd
  • 4,254 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:48 AM

The law is the law. You cannot pick & choose which ones to observe and which you will ignore. It is clear that politics is influencing this situation and that is what I object to the most.

https://books.google...nal Law&f=false

Harry Anslinger:

“primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races.” “Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men.” “There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others.”

• Hotel Mike and johnk like this

#3830 Nparker

Nparker
  • 14,803 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:21 PM

That's interesting quote, but my only concern is the fact that in the CRD political maneuvering has directly impacted the proliferation of illegal street front marijuana dispensaries.

#3831 todd

todd
  • 4,254 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

That's interesting quote, but my only concern is the fact that in the CRD political maneuvering has directly impacted the proliferation of illegal street front marijuana dispensaries.

https://books.google...nal Law&f=false

#3832 LJ

LJ
  • 7,189 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

Well, for starters, there's the homelessness, mental health and opioid issues in Victoria that take up a lot of police attention and are not really issues in the rest of the CRD. Issues that actually endanger peoples' safety.

Yes that's true. You normalize pot shops, provide low barrier shelters, encourage safe illegal drug use and pretty soon your police are very busy with more serious crimes. I don't know why that happens.

• Nparker and spanky123 like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users