* * * * * 3 votes

Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#3901 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:55 AM

^ Which was the point we made earlier that only the fools have paid the City anything. Take the profits, ignore the fines and then disappear with the cash once the CRA or the RCMP finally take action.

• Nparker likes this

#3902 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:09 AM

Confirmed all 4 are operating daily.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3903 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:43 PM

Without revealing too much, Horgan presented a balanced take on what provincial policy makers will be developing in the coming months. Given the numerous adverse responses to Ontario's proposed framework, what Horgan had to say was reassuring.

1. He's not opposed to including existing operators. 

Horgan said he plans to put a "system in place that benefits those who want to participate as entrepreneurs," which would involve consultation with city councils. Horgan also talked about the sheer number of dispensaries in Vancouver and Victoria, where muncipal bylaws allow cannabis dispensaries to operate in a "grey" area.  "There's just been an explosion of private dispensaries, on almost every street corner in some cases," he said. "That's not going to work, and the market will sort some of that stuff out." This statement could suggest that a) Horgan likely has no intention of shuttering these dispensaries himself, and b) that he's open to the idea of a more inclusive market.

2. He doesn't seem to be interested in implementing a rigid government-run framework.

Horgan did say a system like Ontario's was an "option", but he also pointed out that dispensaries "have proven to be an effective way of attracting attention". While this doesn't explicitly indicate whether or not he plans to include grey market dispensaries in the province's framework, it does show that Horgan realizes that dispensaries, however illicit they may be, play an important role. He alluded to the potential use of pharmacies, but only for the distribution of medical cannabis.

https://www.straight...mments-cannabis

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 September 2017 - 07:44 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3904 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:56 PM

...Horgan realizes that dispensaries, however illicit they may be, play an important role. He alluded to the potential use of pharmacies, but only for the distribution of medical cannabis

But aren't the current illegal dispensaries only selling medicinal products?

• todd likes this

#3905 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:54 AM

I wonder what Helps take on this is.   Her personal mandate is to focus her efforts to represent marginalized groups;

• The homeless
  • LGBTQ
  • Bicyclists
  • First Nations

Has she just created her first marginalized group...Pot shop owners?

• Daveyboy likes this

#3906 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:57 PM

But aren't the current illegal dispensaries only selling medicinal products?

They've long since stopped pretending. Pretty sure all that happens is you answer a few question with a nurse practicioner so they can "be sure you are otherwise healthy enough to use the product" (no asthma, psychosis, etc) and you sign a waiver about liability of an illegal product. Then boom, here's your canabis card.

Someone who knows more might be able to correct me on that?

#3907 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:03 PM

They've long since stopped pretending. Pretty sure all that happens is you answer a few question with a nurse practicioner so they can "be sure you are otherwise healthy enough to use the product" (no asthma, psychosis, etc) and you sign a waiver about liability of an illegal product. Then boom, here's your canabis card.
Someone who knows more might be able to correct me on that?

Nope not even pretending anymore.
A member of my family( 30 ish if it matters)walked into a dispensary said she had trouble sleeping.
Was asked by the employee behind the till if she was healthy..bam...handed a canabis card .
No medication questions no nurse ,no doctor in and out in a few minutes .
  • Mattjvd likes this

#3908 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:28 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1ftJILUS_s

#3909 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:12 AM

So the City has been giving Terp City Lounge (former Mint Lunch) a $1200 fine weekly for months now.  Now they are seeking a court injunction to close it down.

Apparently, the dispensary on Yates (same guy) was using the top or back tent for consumption, but they lost that space due to construction.

#3910 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:32 AM

Which Yates dispensary is that?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3911 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:39 AM

Which Yates dispensary is that?

900-block Yates.

#3912 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:22 PM

leaf compassion I presume.

Matt.

#3913 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:23 PM

Chatting with a friend who worked for that company, he said the hardest part of his job was making multiple $9,999 cash deposits at the various bank accounts around town.

Rough.

Matt.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#3914 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:40 AM

Lol. The good ol' $9,999 deposit :)
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3915 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

Chatting with a friend who worked for that company, he said the hardest part of his job was making multiple $9,999 cash deposits at the various bank accounts around town.

Rough.

Matt.

Was at a bank downtown on Friday and there were two young, hipster looking ladies with a huge bag of 20's making a deposit. They were just hauling about bills by the first full. One teller was running the bill counter full speed while the other was wrapping the bundles in elastic bands and tallying the totals. 

Although the banks have to report any cash transactions above $10K, they will also report any cash transaction of any value if it appears suspicious. Going to individual banks making $9,999 deposits is pointless.

Edited by spanky123, 17 September 2017 - 09:42 AM.

#3916 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

Apparently not, as it was part of his daily routine. Not just different branches, but different banks.

Matt.

#3917 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:47 PM

An acquaintance told me that some dispensaries you can make it easy for them and just pay with credit or debit.

Obviously the bank would we be liable if they didn't call in any hipsters.

#3918 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:50 PM

leaf compassion I presume.
Matt.

Someone in the biz told me Leaf got turned down on their application for that location. Apparently another outfit on Johnson IIRC got their app in first under the city's dispensary density regs.

#3919 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:52 PM

An acquaintance told me that some dispensaries you can make it easy for them and just pay with credit or debit.
Obviously the bank would we be liable if they didn't call in any hipsters.

Really? I thought it was all cash because banks dont want to deal with them until its all legal.

#3920 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:55 PM

Really? I thought it was all cash because banks dont want to deal with them until its all legal.

Not for some you can still get your reward points or pay with debit.
  • johnk likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users