* * * * * 3 votes

Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#3941 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:15 AM

It's pitiful that so-called businesses that spent the past 2 years breaking the law should get rewarded. Makes me glad that the NDP did not get my vote back in May.

• Nostalgic Victoria likes this

#3942 Nostalgic Victoria

Nostalgic Victoria
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:02 PM

It's pitiful that so-called businesses that spent the past 2 years breaking the law should get rewarded. Makes me glad that the NDP did not get my vote back in May.

Or mine.  Any surprise that left-leaning political parties like the NDP always want what's worst for society and embrace the criminal element?

#3943 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:58 PM

Larry Jangula never expected that standing up against an illegal marijuana dispensary would ignite such anger in Courtenay.

"Well I was quite shocked," says Courtenay's Mayor. "I mean I thought man this is way above and beyond anger about a bylaw. This is personal. I mean this is a direct threat to me," said Jangula.

The calls and emails started Wednesday hours after the Leaf Dispensary on Courtenay's 4th Street was raided by RCMP. The marijuana dispensary that opened Sunday without a business license was told council was not willing to grant approval to until federal laws were changed.

https://www.cheknews...threats-374452/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3944 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

And I thought pot heads were supposed to be mellow.

• sdwright.vic, Nostalgic Victoria and todd like this

#3945 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,870 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:26 PM

The owner of Leaf compassion is a former, failed, MMA fighter.

Matt.

#3946 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:34 PM

The owner of Leaf compassion is a former, failed, MMA fighter.

Matt.

I know him well, he used to work for me.  Our onstage MMA fight never took place, after some significant planning though.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3947 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:27 PM

^^^^ I know Larry, he is a great car guy. I liked his statement on the news tonight that politics should not have any control over law enforcement.

#3948 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:52 AM

Kyle Cheyne is starting to come off as a mafioso king pin with his flaunting of law most anywhere he goes.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 07 October 2017 - 09:00 AM.

• Nparker and Nostalgic Victoria like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3949 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:00 AM

Medical marijuana joint temporarily allowed

Buds and Leaves, a cannabis dispensary located at 732 Tyee Rd., was approved for a three-year temporary use permit. They share a wall with a business owned by Yanik Giroux, who spoke at the public hearing and complained about cannabis smells seeping into his business, where he teaches music lessons to children and adults.

The temporary use permit will expire in three years.

http://www.vicnews.c...-news-in-brief/

#3950 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

http://www.vicnews.c...-news-in-brief/

The youngsters will be well stoned by then. Gotta grow the customer base!
  • VicHockeyFan, Daveyboy and On the Level like this

#3951 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:45 AM

Meanwhile in Nanaimo a pot dispensary that was affecting an adjacent martial arts facility for kids will move after media attention got a little hot.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3952 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 528 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:13 AM

IN Victoria, our decision makers don't really like to get involved in such controversial things as children being affected by marijuana dispensaries. 

• jonny and Nostalgic Victoria like this

#3953 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:23 AM

A lot on CBC today about how the government will prevent kids from getting their hands on pot next year.

We going to go through this again?  We know if kids want alcohol, they get it, right?  Whether they steal their parents supply or get the older brother to buy it.

So lets not again go through a charade pretending kids will never get pot.  They will get it when and where they want it.

Surely we have learned that by now, no?  That when we tell kids they can't have something, they just know they want it.

Tobacco smoking among youth has only gone down along with smoking by adults, not for any other reason.

#3954 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

Hello North Park neighbours,

At its October 19 Committee of the Whole meeting, Victoria City Council turned down the Great Canadian Canna Mall’s rezoning application to operate a cannabis storefront at the 1625 Quadra Street location.

This decision is in keeping with North Park’s guidelines developed at a June 7 NPNA public meeting. Our four recommendations are at npna.ca. For more detail about that special meeting, including the recommendations, click on "What's New?" and go to the July 5/17 blog post Proposal for change - Cannabis Dispensary Regulations. 

It is our hope that the businesses operating out of the Canna Mall will accept this decision and vacate the building.

We are already starting to hear ideas floating around the neighbourhood about other things that could happen in that building to contribute to the vitality of our neighbourhood.

- NPNA Communications

• Nparker likes this

#3955 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

...It is our hope that the businesses operating out of the Canna Mall will accept this decision and vacate the building...

Fat chance.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3956 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:33 PM

Legalizing marijuana and “keeping it out of the hands of our youth” will mean more work for police, according to Victoria Police Chief Del Manak.

Manak, presenting the draft 2018 police budget to city council on Tuesday, said the upcoming legalization will increase the need for police training, the creation of education and enforcement strategies around impaired driving, the monitoring of home grow operations and dealing with minors who illegally use and possess the drug.

Coun. Jeremy Loveday wanted further explanation from the chief, noting that possession will no longer be a crime.

“Organized crime has been involved in cannabis and trafficking for years, there are billions of dollars they are making. They will not walk away just because it’s legalized,” Manak responded. “They will try to find a black market, they will try to find a price point, they don’t have to pay taxes. There is always going to be a need for it.”

http://www.peninsula...lice-resources/

Oh brother, isn't the reason that we leave dispensaries alone in Victoria because it's a waste of police resources (money), according to Helps?

And if you need money to step up the fight on organized crime, Manak, you DO know that every single dispensary gets their stock illegally, right?  And most of it from "organized crime"?  When do we start the fight?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 31 October 2017 - 06:34 PM.

• Nparker, spanky123 and Nostalgic Victoria like this

#3957 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:56 PM

The dispensary near me on Quadra seems to be closing/moving.

#3958 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:48 PM

http://www.peninsula...lice-resources/

Oh brother, isn't the reason that we leave dispensaries alone in Victoria because it's a waste of police resources (money), according to Helps?

And if you need money to step up the fight on organized crime, Manak, you DO know that every single dispensary gets their stock illegally, right?  And most of it from "organized crime"?  When do we start the fight?

C'mon give Del some slack. When he is asking for money he tends to forget all of the good news stuff he told us when he was just looking for an attaboy.

#3959 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:04 AM

I'm shocked to discover that the police need budget increases every year to deal with potential crime (yet seem to have trouble dealing with actual crime), no matter what happens or what laws are passed.  And some how we're safer and crime is reduced, except for that period around the requests for budget increases, when somehow we're all in danger.

Why it's almost enough to drive someone to cynicism.

• VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

#3960 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:02 AM

Great Canadian Canna Mall posted on their facebook page Oct 30 that they're "closing indefinitely" due to increasing bylaw enforcement actions by the City. That includes five (!) "businesses" contained inside that will be closing, though the Green Ceiling lounge is apparently staying open.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users