Photo

Phillips Brewery and Malting Co.

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#101 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:35 PM

Alpine was created in the early thirties by P.W. Oland at Moosehead in Saint John.

I don't drink beer, but I know a bit about the Olands!

• johnk likes this

#102 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:32 PM

I asked Matt Phillips at a beer event today. He said they're in the top 10.

Anheuser-Busch InBev produces Budweiser, Labatt, Beck’s, Stella Artois, Alexander Keith’s, Bass, Lakeport, Lucky, and Oland.

Molson Coors Brewing Company produces Molson Canadian, Coors, Rickard’s, Carling, Granville Island, Keystone, and Pilsner.

Sapporo Brewing produces Sapporo, Sleeman, Okanagan Springs, and Unibroue.

The above three accounted for 90% of sales in 2012, but that has probably fallen slightly. The biggest wholly Canadian brewery is Moosehead, at 3.8% market share across Canada in 2016.

The rest of the Top 10 is probably rounded out with big regional breweries, such as Philips, Big Rock, Steamworks, Steam Whistle, Beau's, and McAuslan Brewing. Each one would have less than 4% market share.

• VicHockeyFan and nerka like this

#103 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:46 PM

^And that barely skims the surface of the entire web of brands. If you order an Apantinsko in a tiny bar in Serbia or a Kaminitza in Bulgaria or a Cobra in New Delhi you're buying a Molson Coors product.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#104 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:58 PM

Anheuser-Busch InBev produces Budweiser, Labatt, Beck’s, Stella Artois, Alexander Keith’s, Bass, Lakeport, Lucky, and Oland.

Molson Coors Brewing Company produces Molson Canadian, Coors, Rickard’s, Carling, Granville Island, Keystone, and Pilsner.

Sapporo Brewing produces Sapporo, Sleeman, Okanagan Springs, and Unibroue.

The above three accounted for 90% of sales in 2012, but that has probably fallen slightly. The biggest wholly Canadian brewery is Moosehead, at 3.8% market share across Canada in 2016.

The rest of the Top 10 is probably rounded out with big regional breweries, such as Philips, Big Rock, Steamworks, Steam Whistle, Beau's, and McAuslan Brewing. Each one would have less than 4% market share.

Interesting!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#105 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:27 PM

Wow. Thanks for that, Jackerbie.
  • VicHockeyFan and Jackerbie like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#106 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:28 PM

^And that barely skims the surface of the entire web of brands. If you order an Apantinsko in a tiny bar in Serbia or a Kaminitza in Bulgaria or a Cobra in New Delhi you're buying a Molson Coors product.

Yah, I only included the ones I know are sold in Canada  :)

Glad to be living in BC where there is such a strong craft scene, especially since so many of the brewers collaborate and support each other. Keeps things interesting!

• johnk likes this

#107 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:17 AM

Development Permit for the taproom has been filed, it's on the tracker here.

#108 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

Good to know. I like beer so I avoid M-C products.

#109 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:43 PM

Good to know. I like beer so I avoid M-C products.

Beer snob.
  • johnk likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#110 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:59 PM

M-C products are great if you're at a bachelor party and need to shotgun some beers or are playing washers or beersbie or beer pong.

#111 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

Beer Pong is very dangerous.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca...etown-1.3505517

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 July 2017 - 03:47 PM.

• jonny likes this

#112 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:35 PM

Having grown up conservative Christian, this is funny: http://babylonbee.co...ing-light-beer/

#113 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:52 AM

Beer Pong is very dangerous.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca...etown-1.3505517

I'm surprised the opposition critics for health and safety aren't proposing new legislation.

I always advocate playing on a smooth, ground level surface.

#114 magmazing

magmazing
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:15 PM

You know what would've been great for the tasting room they're doing? Having a patio on the roof.

#115 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:00 PM

^Nothing better than drunks on a roof.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#116 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:09 AM

The tasting room has all the new windows installed and work continues inside. Development tracker still shows application as under review by the city.

#117 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:11 AM

Victoria-approves-Phillips-Brewery's-plans-for-134-patron-tasting-bar.jpg

An artist's rendering of Phillips Brewing & Malting Co.'s concept for a tasting bar and retail space on Government Street at Discovery Street. The art deco-themed building will feature an iconic, neon lit sign depicting a Phoenix rising above the brewery's name.

Victoria approves Phillips Brewery's plans for 134-patron tasting bar

https://victoria.cit...on-tasting-bar/

12 months after initiating a rezoning application to build a 3,500 square foot tasting bar and 'experiential' space, Vancouver Island's largest independent brewer and liquor distiller is ever closer to making the facility a reality.

Victoria-based Phillips Brewing & Malting Co. set to work in early 2017 to transform a single-storey retail building at 2000 Government Street – adjacent to Phillips’ existing liquor off-sales and reception office near the intersection of Government and Discovery streets – into a 134-patron liquor primary space and retail outlet.

Changes introduced since the initial proposal surfaced include plans to install a striking art deco-themed, three-dimensional neon sign featuring a Phoenix rising above the brewery name, an homage to Phillips' Phoenix Lager that elevated the start-up brewer to local fame nearly two decades ago.

Phillips' founder Matt Phillips described the sign in a written statement to Victoria councillors as a design inspired by "cinemas, diners and theatres" of the era during which the building itself was constructed. [Full article]

• tedward, jonny and gstc84 like this
Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#118 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:31 AM

That looks fantastic! I can hardly wait to go.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#119 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:29 AM

Looks great. The only thing that seems like a real missed opportunity here is any outdoor interaction - rooftop or street level patio, or even windows that open would have been a great addition for the busiest summer months.

#120 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 09:34 AM

I suspect they wanted to be super gentle in terms of noise as there’s a residence right next to the brewery and sensitivity towards future residential expansion remains top of mind for council.

The tasting bar will open between noon and 10PM.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users