Photo

World Cup (soccer) (maybe in North America)

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:37 AM

9AM this morning.  Just type "world cup" into google for today's scores, or "world cup standings" for this list, google is pretty on top of it, I have not had to bookmark any particular scores/standing page.

1403541398555screencapture.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

Ronaldo loves bunting the ball at fans, for some reason. I'm surprised nobody was knocked out in yesterday's game.

The biggest surprise for sure is the US.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

The biggest surprise for sure is the US.

But they are world-ranked 13.  Costa Rica is 28, and in a tough group too.  Maybe a bigger surprise.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

Costa Rica, Columbia and Spain are the big surprises IMO.

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

Colombia is ranked #8 and playing close to home, in a decidedly weak division (Japan is #46, Ivory Coast 23).    I'm not sure, is it that big a surprise?

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

So what happens if Brazil doesn't win this thing? The country is dangerously close to a revolution, for God's sakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdUuae1xR5o

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

Colombia is ranked #8 and playing close to home, in a decidedly weak division (Japan is #46, Ivory Coast 23).    I'm not sure, is it that big a surprise?

Well they hadn't been to a World Cup in 16 years so, yeah, leading their group at this point is a surprise to me. They haven't qualified for the round of 16 since 1990 I believe. Especially since they have won both games so far in convincing fashion against quality teams.

#48 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

I'd agree on CR and Spain. They may have cost me my pool  winnings. ;)

So what happens if Brazil doesn't win this thing? The country is dangerously close to a revolution, for God's sakes.

Would not want to be in the streets when they get knocked out.

• Mike K. likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,528 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

No kidding. What happened in Vancouver will be a blip compared to what's shaping up in Rio. Man...

Know it all.

#50 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

Big fail by CBC. Playing the Brasil Cameroon game rather than Mexico Croatia. Mexico game actually matters where the other game is just filler before next round.
  • tedward likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#51 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

Yes yes, my mistake. Good for Brazil for giving the hometown crowd what they sought. As the announcers of fond of saying - as goes the host country, so goes the tournament.

Here's to hoping the Ellas boys can come up with some offense tomorrow.

#52 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

Buh BYE Italia! One less worry for "die mannschaft".... :) Although the game with the US on Thursday will be very interesting.....

#53 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:43 PM

Ελλας!!

Ok, I know some will doubt the final penalty was deserved (I did at first). But the replays clearly show Sio took out Samaras' feet as he was kicking. I feel bad for the Cote d'Ivoire team and fans, but Greece played a great game and deserved the result.

In retrospect, the CI defense was a bit porous.

Well, on to the round of 16 for the scruffy guys in white and blue. 

#54 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:45 PM

Buh BYE Italia! One less worry for "die mannschaft".... :) Although the game with the US on Thursday will be very interesting.....

Suarez.... oh man...

"It is the third biting incident involving the talented but controversial striker."

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:40 AM

http://www.thestar.c..._world_cup.html

Luis Suarez suspended for 9 matches for biting, barred from all soccer stadiums

#56 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:42 AM

Luis Suarez is a magnificent player, but who bites somebody during a sporting match?

Luis Suarez does, apparently.

#57 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:46 AM

If you really think about it though, biting someone is one of the least likely ways of permanently, or seriously injuring them.  Even the pain only lasts a very short time.  Nobody gets bit then has to leave the game, or sit out many games while the injury heals.  Whereas a lot of guys get their legs broken, sprained, strained by viscous soccer tackles, that never result in such a serious suspension.

It's too bad there is no easy way to explain how today's teams (USA, Germany etc.) will go through, or not.  Most article writers don't even bother to attempt to explain the possibilities, even though it's only based on the results of just two games today.

#58 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

It's too bad there is no easy way to explain how today's teams (USA, Germany etc.) will go through, or not.  Most article writers don't even bother to attempt to explain the possibilities, even though it's only based on the results of just two games today.

The announcers during the CBC broadcast of the USA-Germany match didn't even get it right. It's really not all that complicated.

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

I'm in a pool with 34 people.  I'm in 4th place, with 5 teams left in.  Brazil, Argentina, Netherlands, USA, Nigeria.  Only one guy has 6 teams still in - but two of the next matches feature both his teams playing one another, so at least 2 of his six teams will not advance and he won't pick up any points for them.  All my teams do not play one another this round.

1403892307498screencapture.png

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

Well, it's pretty much coming down to a coin toss (penalty kicks) in a few minutes.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users