Photo

Gas stations.. and the empty lots they become..

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

I have been wondering about vacant gas stations for a while not this was all very helpful. My curiosity began when the Shell on Mckenzie and Shelbourne got bulldozed down a few months ago. Also mc9, WOW that is something else about the purchasing of properties -->

I have seen certain gas companies buy out surrounding properties and houses and kick the tenants out because it is just too contaminated.

Question - is it safe to assume the majority of gas stations are actually owned by the oil company itself? I suspect developers do not want to bye liable for the incidents previously listed. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

Question - is it safe to assume the majority of gas stations are actually owned by the oil company itself? I suspect developers do not want to bye liable for the incidents previously listed. 

I think so, then often leased to operators.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

Oh ya, that reminds me... the Quadra Mohawk seems to be fully converted to a Husky now.  Been the same company for a long time, but I wonder if the use of the name Mohawk was sparking any controversy and they are converting them all.

Old photo, 2012.

4rr.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

Mohawk is a national brand that was bought out by Husky. We only had one Mohawk in the CRD though.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

Mohawk is a national brand that was bought out by Husky. We only had one Mohawk in the CRD though.

I know, but the acquisition happened in 1998.  I just wonder if in light of the recent controversies about use of First Nations names (like for sports teams) that they re-branded away from Mohawk now.

http://ebrandon.ca/m...504331&cat_id=3

You will notice that it will then become the 18th St Husky, as it will be rebranded under the Husky banner. Husky Oil has owned Mohawk for years and has always had the intentions of retiring the Mohawk banner. Although it has taken them years to do so, it will most definately become apparent in the very short future as you will see all the Mohawks dissapear.  

#26 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

No, a lot of the stations are privately owned and sign contracts with the oil companies.  In return they must meet a certain standard, look, etc.  The problem with this is gas station owners don't make a lot of money and are saddled with a lot of the risk, but not all.

Its similar to McDonalds.  Corporate forced the franchisee to upgrade the look of the restaurant every 8-10 years which falls on the store owner.  That isn't always the case if corporate rolls out a new campaign on a certain idea (like those self serve drink stations) then corporate pays a large portion

Some stations are corporate owned, just like some McDonalds

I am not an expert in this area, I've only picked it up thru talking with friends who own McDonalds, gas stations, etc

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

My understanding, at least when I worked at two different ones as a kid (a Texaco and a Chevron) is that the gas company owned the building and land, and the "owner" owned the stock and the business.  That's how the Husky/Mohawk worked too, on Quadra, I know a former owner quite well.

• mc9 likes this

#28 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

"My understanding, at least when I worked at two different ones as a kid (a Texaco and a Chevron) is that the gas company owned the building and land, and the "owner" owned the stock and the business"

The oil companies are liable for the land and clean up.

#29 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

Also, I always found it interesting that the oil companies would clean up and work to the safety standards required by the government here, but go to some other poorer country and it appears that the company could care less about safety and environment there.

#30 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

The environmental trucks are at the Cedar Hill X empty gas lot right now. I find this lot interesting as it's so similar to the old Payless at Cook/Hillside. They might not have the environmental problems that affect their neighbours since both sites are hacked out of solid rock.

Edited by Holden West, 18 August 2014 - 05:18 PM.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#31 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:30 AM

My understanding, at least when I worked at two different ones as a kid (a Texaco and a Chevron) is that the gas company owned the building and land, and the "owner" owned the stock and the business.  That's how the Husky/Mohawk worked too, on Quadra, I know a former owner quite well.

I think it works that way for some stations, but some individuals own everything outright.  Remember when the Shell at Pat Bay and Sayward became a FAS Gas.  I think the owner was not happy with Shell and switched, that is pretty hard to do if Shell owned the land and building

Another example is the Shell at Cook and Fairfield where they removed the pumps and tanks but its still a service station.  Again if Shell owned the land and buildings why didn't they just demo the site and prepare it for redevelopment

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

Another example is the Shell at Cook and Fairfield where they removed the pumps and tanks but its still a service station.  Again if Shell owned the land and buildings why didn't they just demo the site and prepare it for redevelopment

I don't know why the current owner doesn't.  Seems like prime land, just to be used for a mechanical shop.  Gas stations are good at busy corners like Hillside/Shelbourne.

#33 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

I spoke to the owner of the Fairfield/cook shell and shell sold him the site recently as he was the operator. The margins are far
better for car repair than gas selling and the enviro upgrade from gas to repair is very low. That corner is busy but not really a great retail spot and some people just like to run a business on their land, rather than develop it.
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#34 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

Shell wanted to upgrade the Fairfield station to include a small market but they were shot down by the community association because they felt it would be unfair competition for the corner store opposite. I guess Shell lost interest after that.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#35 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:52 AM

The gas pumps were taken out about a year ago not as recent as you think.

#36 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

The service station motel and Brookmans Store are being torn down right now.

The station is gone the motel is one level now and Brookmans has the back side torn apart

Gorge Rd W at Admirals

#37 weisguy86

weisguy86
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

Not sure which company owned the gas station that was at Sooke Rd and Goldstream Avenue that shut down some 15 years ago but they are excavating it now to make way for a new RBC and Rexall.

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

No doubt would-be tenants of Capital City Centre?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:44 PM

This is up at Kilshaw's this week.

19030635_1556693674350299_18773338795706

19059118_1556693567683643_36409762030378

18922140_1556693597683640_45002381779817

#40 Dale S

Dale S
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:52 PM

I miss the old brands.  

As a kid in Richmond in the 1970's we had Esso, Shell and Chevron (Standard), but also we had Gulf (taken by Petro Canada), Union 76 (taken by Husky), Home and Texaco (taken by Esso) and Pacific 66 (taken by who knows...)   I may be missing one.  

I know in Victoria the corner of Burnside and Douglas was a Union 76 station until the late 70's.

Soon it will be Co-Op only. Esso sold their stations in BC to 7-11 (still branded as Esso) and Chevron just sold theirs to Parkland Fuel (will remain branded as Chevron)

• VicHockeyFan likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users