Happy Hour in Victoria + minors in pubs

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

Is the Sunday brunch there any good? Would love to try if it is and can bring my baby now!

It used to be pretty good.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

Time to drag my restaurant concept out?

That's why I have a restaurant concept called "On the Clock" where prices are adjusted every hour. It's a complex algorithm that decides the menu price for each item, changing up or down each hour depending on demand for that item, and general sales volume history for that hour. A big computer screen shows the current prices, but better get your order in before the top of the hour. The price is changing! "You're on the clock!"

I believe they call this kind of restaurant, "an airline".

#23 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:45 AM

Bard & Banker now allows kids until 9pm.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:37 AM

The Sticky Wicket now allows kids.

The Red Lion made an application, but it was not accepted, pending further review.  Right now they just have one license for their two LP areas, so they have to find a way to work that out, so kids can't go the the stripper part.

#25 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

so kids can't go the the stripper part.

If it's your night to babysit and your idea of babysitting is the peeler bar then maybe babysitting isn't the right gig for you. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#26 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

Took my 18.9-year-old to the Penny Farthing this weekend.  He was allowed to sit in the rear of the pub or on the patio but not in the bar area or upstairs.

Okeydokey.

Incidentally, food good, portions modest.  I've been served so many too-huge plates that at first, my dinner looked stingy.  But then I ate it and realized it was just right.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

10469690_10154441945555347_9013154985785

#28 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

Go on...

#29 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

Minors allows in 6 mile now too, that's nice, maybe my 31 year old wife will stop getting carded there.

But boy oh boy has 6 mile changed since I was in there last time.  Tiny $16 burgers.  Sorry not 6 mile, it's the "Riverside Kitchen and Apiary at 6 Mile House".  Pouring the pretentiousness on pretty thick, but I guess you have to to sell basic pub food for $16+

Edited by Baro, 16 July 2014 - 10:31 AM.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

Is there anything that satisfies you lately? Where's the Baro we knew and loved from years past?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

is anybody offering $5. beer during happy hour combined with a really cheap appy?

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:48 AM

is anybody offering $5. beer during happy hour combined with a really cheap appy?

3-6pm Mon/Tu/We Sticky Wicket has $3 sleeves of select beers, and they have a daily appy special.

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:16 AM

VicHockeyFan, on 07 Jun 2011 - 1:57 PM, said:snapback.png

The problem is the dead times.

That's why I have a restaurant concept called "On the Clock" where prices are adjusted every hour. It's a complex algorithm that decides the menu price for each item, changing up or down each hour depending on demand for that item, and general sales volume history for that hour. A big computer screen shows the current prices, but better get your order in before the top of the hour. The price is changing! "You're on the clock!"

The Kalamazoo Beer Exchange is a two-story multi-tap bar and grill located in the beautifully restored Globe Building in downtown Kalamazoo. Offering 28 rotating draught beers from around the world, the Kalamazoo Beer Exchange bases pricing of these draught beers on real-time sales, like the stock market, resulting in an ever-evolving happy hour. Occasional “market crashes” will occur daily, dropping beer prices to their all-time low. The Kalamazoo Beer Exchange also offers a menu of interestingly prepared classic pub fare. Classic dishes will be made new again from the Bar Plates to the Main Fare and the open kitchen design will allow you to see just how “hand-made” the food really is.

http://kalamazoobeerexchange.com/

#34 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

3-6pm Mon/Tu/We Sticky Wicket has $3 sleeves of select beers, and they have a daily appy special.

but everyone knows a pub should be serving pints. LOL

Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#35 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

Ah but isn't a sleeve 12 oz.? So it's the same price per ounce as a $5 20oz. pint!
Just order 2...

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

It's about 14oz I think.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

There are different sizes for sleeves.  You have to charge a minimum of $0.25/oz. so the Sticky ones are likely 12oz. or less.

#38 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

I guess my query was: can you attract customers by having a happy hour with a full price beer with a free or 1 cent appy?

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

I guess my query was: can you attract customers by having a happy hour with a full price beer with a free or 1 cent appy?

The trouble with the 1 cent appy is that you are losing money, any way you slice it.  And you can't get anyone to eat 72 wings, even if they were slightly above cost.  At 25c per ounce, depending on the beer, you are still at 40-80% mark-up over cost.  You might get 5 or 6 of those into one person.

• vicernie likes this

#40 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:56 AM

up until lately, a sleeve was always 16oz, then places started cheating customers and using 14oz ones. they look the same only have a thicker base.

a 12oz sleeve??????

thats a whole new level.

Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users