Real-estate development Q&A

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#61 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:31 AM

Of course Gann would now manage the tech park as well, but why the massive jump in compensation? $300k is a massive amount of money.

Gann never ran anything but the tech park.  And what massive jump in compensation?  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#62 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

Thats great thanks guys!

Edited by Mixed365, 18 August 2014 - 07:35 AM.

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#63 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

So, it was in the 2012/2013 under the Public Sector Salaries link that it lists Dale Gann as "President of UVic Properties Investments Inc." As VicHockeyFan mentioned Gann was fired in spring of 2013 and then as the TC article mentions Peter Kuran was brought on to:

"run a restructured group of properties, including Heritage, the 191,000-square-foot Vancouver Island Technology Park on Markham Road, the 40,000-square-foot Marine Technology Park on the Saanich Peninsula and other off-campus holdings."

If you look at Peter Kuran's LinkedIn it states he is the CEO of UVic Properties and the position began in September 2013. 

Question - Is it safe to say that Dale Gann doesnt work for UVic at all anymore? Or is he involved with UVic Properties Investments Inc., but perhaps under Peter Kuran. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#64 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

Gann never ran anything but the tech park. And what massive jump in compensation?

Wait wait, so he earned $300k managing the tech park, then was fired, then rehired?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#65 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

Wait wait, so he earned $300k managing the tech park, then was fired, then rehired?

Jeez.  He worked for 10 years and 10 months running the park.  Then he was fired.  End of story.  He had one job.  The whole time.  And for all we know, he made $300k the whole time, or less, than it increased with inflations or whatever.  But there is nothing to suggest that job was not the #2 paying job at UVic the whole time.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#66 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

Yeah I get that, but why did his employer fire him and then rehire him?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#67 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

Yeah I get that, but why did his employer fire him and then rehire him?

Now I trust you are just being silly.  He was never re-hired, he remains, today, unemployed.  His wife/partner owns a long-established retail outlet in town.

#68 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

He may also work on the sale of technologies developed by the University. One of the biggest sources for income at a Uni is the licensing and sale of new technologies. If you invent a new chip while working at the school it belongs to the school.
  • Mixed365 likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

Oh, ok I misunderstood. This conversation was hard to follow and it sounded like Gann was let go as manager of the tech park but rehired as Ceglarz's replacement.

Know it all.

#70 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

Oh, ok I misunderstood. This conversation was hard to follow and it sounded like Gann was let go as manager of the tech park but rehired as Ceglarz's replacement.

I was as well Mike K, especially with his title being "President of University of Victoria Properties Investments Inc." I too thought he was rehired post firing of the tech park. 

• Mike K. likes this

- Jane Jacobs 

#71 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

Is it true that the leaky condo scenario of the 1990s was created by poor provincial government building code?

- Jane Jacobs 

#72 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

Is it true that the leaky condo scenario of the 1990s was created by poor provincial government building code?

In my opinion yes. The requirement to install a vapour barrier on both sides of a wall created a "terrarium" of sorts with it's own weather pattern inside the wall.

#73 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

They were based on guidelines developed in California, no? And for the most part they applied to the entire country and continue to work to this day -- save for southwest BC -- is that right?

Know it all.

#74 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

yes, but it was also certain municipal building inspectors coming up with details and made developers/contractors build it a certain way which caused the building to leak.  If I remember correctly Delta was put on the hook for millions alone

It really came about by trying to make buildings much more energy efficient.  Anyone who remembers living in an older building could feel drafts, etc, but by closing up the walls completely on both sides once water made it past the building paper (which has been around a for a long time) it had trouble getting out because there was a new layer of poly.

I also believe only stucco buildings had leaky condo problems, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong

• Mixed365 likes this

#75 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:08 AM

I also believe only stucco buildings had leaky condo problems, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong

It was the acrylic stucco that added to the problem. The new chemical additives helped create an envelope that would also hinder the ability for the wall to breathe. This could have been the connection that Mike referred to that may have started in the states...I don't know.

The combination of all these factors mentioned resulted in a non workable design that seemed to have a greater affect on building in moist climates.

It was hoped that Dave Barrett was going to be able to identify the building codes as being the source of the problem, but in the end politics won out and this effort ended up in the back room. More than one politician blamed leaky condos on shoddy workmanship and greedy developers and the press ate this up.

Here is a perfect example.

http://www.theglobea...article4161503/

• Mixed365 likes this

#76 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:18 PM

Who are the 5 largest local developing families in Victoria?

Definition of largest and developing - amount of land that is currently in their portfolio and they still build and/or renovate (doesn't need to be often, but are active occasionally)

Definition of Victoria - the whole damn CRD

- Jane Jacobs 

#77 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:00 AM

When you say developing, do you mean land owners or families that build

#78 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:16 AM

Who are the 5 largest local developing families in Victoria?

Definition of largest and developing - amount of land that is currently in their portfolio and they still build and/or renovate (doesn't need to be often, but are active occasionally)

Definition of Victoria - the whole damn CRD

The extended Jawl family.I say extended because their is a friendly (I think) rivalry and they compete for tenants. New projects and maintaining older ones like Fort/Vancouver. Mike Jawl frequently partners with Travis Lee of:

The Lee Family (of Tri-Eagle). Many big projects. 

Klara Kramer (and late husband) was a big landowner, I still think she may own some of that Bear Mountain land, correct? Of course, not a developer, just a holder.

Rohani was one of the older ones, not sure if still active.

There are high profile properties that have been in family hands for decades...I think the Lund's Auction adjacent parking lot and the Sugar nightclub adjacent parking lot are two that the owners have been sitting on waiting for the right moment.

The McColl family (father and son) have been active. Again, a lot of built (Mosaic, Reef) and cancelled projects (Highlander).

Illich family (father/son) of Townline (Hudson). 

Edited by Rob Randall, 22 September 2014 - 07:19 AM.

#79 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:01 AM

The Rohani's are Alpha, no?

Fraser McColl's partner is Don Charity.

Mike Miller heads up Abstract and Chris Lefevre is Lefevre & Co.

Know it all.

#80 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

When you say developing, do you mean land owners or families that build

I mean buy land to develop on it and then either hold or sell off. 

Im not meaning families in the construction/contracting industry if that's what you meant by families that build. 

- Jane Jacobs 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users