Sult Pierogi Bar | Victoria | 600-block of Yates Street

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:44 PM

As mentioned in the restaurant comings and goings thread, we're going to have another eastern European eatery downtown. The name of this place is Sult Pierogi Bar, with "pierogi" spelled the Polish way.

Opening this fall.

Attached Images

• Sult-Pierogi-Bar.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

So it's true, they don't just come out of a bag in the freezer...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:41 AM

Has anyone tried this spot? Is it still there, I don't recall seeing it.

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:44 AM

Work continues on the space improvement. They were to open in the fall but I can't see them opening before the spring considering the condition of the space.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:14 PM

Work continues on the space improvement. They were to open in the fall but I can't see them opening before the spring considering the condition of the space.

You mean spring of 2016?   That's a long time to have to suck up the rent.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:07 AM

Troy Barnaby, our good friend who has made himself a well respected soul food chef amongst his peers in the Victoria food industry has been, as many of you know, working for some time to bring Sült to Victoria. The concept (a pierogi restaurant and bar that looks like it’ll soon be the place to get your grub on in Victoria) has started to take distinct shape, and it’s like nothing else in that city. It’s long been Troy’s dream to be a restaurant owner, and Sült is the fruition of that dream. He and his mother have invested more than $300,000 into renovating the space and getting it ready for the hungry hordes, but now, at his eleventh hour, his funding is about to run out. He’s got to pay a few bills and buy a few more items for the kitchen and then he’ll be ready to open, but it’s not looking like he can do this on his own. We’ve all seen the photos of the restaurant as it’s developed, and this is going to be nothing short of world-class. We’ve just got to chip in a bit to help our good friend clear this final hurdle. The pierogi fries he’s promised us are within our grasp, but we’ll only get to taste them if he can get through these next few weeks. Let’s make this happen for him. He deserves the restaurant he’s dreamed of for so long, and we deserve the pierogi fries he’s promised us. 

If you haven’t seen the photos of the almost-finished restaurant, here's a link to the facebook page:
https://www.facebook...921101781255314

Below is a list of some of the items he still needs to get his kitchen and restaurant up and running. If you can provide anything on this list, let us know. If you can chip in (anything at all is greatly needed and appreciated), you can send Troy an e-transfer through the following email address: troybarnaby@me.com 

Troy is there pretty much everyday so if you would like to have a tour just give him a shout at 250-881-4488. 

Still needed:

Dough sheeter $3000
Pierogi roller $1500
Fire suppression equipment $6000
Final painting $500
Stereo and install $300
Signage $1000
Dish and prep tables $3000
Two stand-up fridges $3500

$18,800 short.

https://www.facebook...65350923655619/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:43 AM

There's more than the cost of an entire home construction site invested into that space already?

Know it all.

#8 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:46 AM

For 300 grand I would've guessed you could replace that entire building. Could Mr. Barnaby not have found a more suitable space for his brand new restaurant than one which required a massive amount of retro-fitting? The now vacant restaurant space on Johnson (Lady Marmalade?) comes to mind.

• Rob Randall likes this

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:49 AM

For 300 grand I would've guessed you could replace that entire building. Could Mr. Barnaby not have found a more suitable space for his brand new restaurant than one which required a massive amount of retro-fitting? The now vacant restaurant space on Johnson (Lady Marmalade?) comes to mind.

Or the salad place on Douglas, closed for a year or two.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:53 AM

The former Podium location is another.

Perogies are dirt cheap to make. This shouldn't be an expensive operation!

#11 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 10:52 AM

He better have some top notch pierogis and he better have sauerkraut up in there.

• Nparker likes this

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 11:23 AM

And some very good kiełbasa.

• Mike K. likes this

#13 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:11 PM

If this was an episode of Dragons' Den this would be the point where Arlene cries and begs them to throw in the towel and do something else.

It sounds harsh but this guy won't have a nickel to spend on marketing; every penny in revenue has to go to pay his debts. A new restaurant has to come out strong and hard to be a success.

• Nparker likes this

#14 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:21 PM

It's hard to run a small business. I've done it. I've also failed at it once. But GoFundMe is not a business model and people should stop pretending that it is IMHO.

• Nparker, weirdie and Dr. Barillas like this

#15 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:23 PM

someone in the near future is going to be able to lease a very fancy outfitted restaurant. Of course it won't have a fire suppression system

Edited by sdwright.vic, 22 May 2015 - 02:25 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#16 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 12:37 PM

If this was an episode of Dragons' Den this would be the point where Arlene cries and begs them to throw in the towel and do something else.

It sounds harsh but this guy won't have a nickel to spend on marketing; every penny in revenue has to go to pay his debts. A new restaurant has to come out strong and hard to be a success.

Sounds like he's already pretty much insolvent.

Rather than soliciting for donations, why isn't he soliciting for equity investors? Why would someone gift a stranger money for their business idea that they will never recoup? They might just buy some shares in his company if they really believe in the vision.

Oh, and how does it take a year to renovate a restaurant space? Mike's first post was in June 2014!

Edited by jonny, 22 May 2015 - 12:38 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#17 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:10 PM

GoFundMe isnt just a business model, its a personal model too. Never has their been a way to obligate your friends into helping you out without shame or even true personal contact.

#18 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 May 2015 - 04:44 PM

Wait... The pierogi bar doesn't have enough money left for the pierogi roller? Priorities man!
  • Rob Randall, Nparker and KAS like this

#19 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:54 PM

How is he going to buy the supplies if he is out of money before it is finished? If he and his mom invested $300k in this already I'm pretty sure the bank could come up with another $20k on that equity.

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#20 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:24 PM

I don't see any money in that budget earmarked for food, beverages and liquor, staff training and salaries, uniforms, menu printing, telephone hookup etc. but I'm positive there is a plan already in place to take care of that!

The renovations that transformed Wharf Street's Garlic Rose into The Local cost $1 million.

Edited by Rob Randall, 22 May 2015 - 09:39 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users