The Fairmont Empress Hotel

• Please log in to reply
443 replies to this topic

#401 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:48 AM

I don't think that anything has replaced the BL. It's an extra space for events according to staff.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#402 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:54 AM

New lounge is called "Q".

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#403 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:56 AM

^But that lounge is us up front in old dinning room space.
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#404 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:00 AM

I was there on Saturday and asked about the Bengal. The staff member said it sits empty unless required for an event. Q is the only bar and it fronts onto Government. East of the bar in its regular place is the restaurant. Then to the south along Government you've still got the tea lounge.

I must say, Mr. Bosa pulled all the stops with that reno. All that bickering for naught.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#405 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:41 AM

I was there on Saturday and asked about the Bengal. The staff member said it sits empty unless required for an event...

There must be a better way to utilize this space.

• rjag likes this

#406 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:58 AM

I was there on Saturday and asked about the Bengal. The staff member said it sits empty unless required for an event. Q is the only bar and it fronts onto Government. East of the bar in its regular place is the restaurant. Then to the south along Government you've still got the tea lounge.

I must say, Mr. Bosa pulled all the stops with that reno. All that bickering for naught.

Kind of sounds like the result of most Victoria construction projects.

• jonny likes this

#407 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:10 AM

What a shame to trade a popular destination for a place that mostly sits empty.

• Nparker and mbjj like this

#408 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:14 AM

We were told at Chrisrmas by a staffer there that all kinds of traffic was down.  But I guess wait and see, the place does look pretty good.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#409 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:52 AM

New lounge is called "Q".

They could hire Jian Ghomeshi as a waiter, he's available.
  • Nparker and kafkaesque like this

#410 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:53 AM

There must be a better way to utilize this space.

Dont tell Isitt!!!

• Nparker likes this

#411 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

Don't tell Isitt!!!

My only thoughts for the former BL space were ones that create more revenue than having it sit empty most of the time. I'd like to think that even Comrade Isitt wouldn't see this space as the ideal social housing project. Then again, other than announcing he was running as the new leader of the BC Liberals, there is very little he could say that would actually shock me.

• rjag likes this

#412 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:15 PM

Sometimes addition revenue is a money losing proposition, I guess. Managing and staffing an additional eatery/lounge is likely quite costly.

Know it all.

#413 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:58 PM

Sometimes addition revenue is a money losing proposition, I guess...

So they're employing the V2V model: you need to lose money to make money.  ;)

• kafkaesque likes this

#414 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:57 AM

A massive custom-designed chandelier with a floral theme is being crafted by renowned Czech lighting company Lasvit for the renovated lobby of the Empress Hotel.

The chandelier is being manufactured in the company’s Shanghai studios in what the company described as crystal mesh. While the chandelier will weigh in at 1,300 kilograms, the overall installation will be more than 2,000 kilograms, a hotel official said.

The hotel did not release any images or design drawings of the chandelier, but said the lighting will have a diameter of more than six metres.

Titled Twill Flower, it will be a major feature in the redesigned lobby and the crowning touch of the final stage in the Empress Hotel’s multi-million makeover. The final cost of the massive renovation — which has included rooms, restaurants and bars — is expected to fall between $30 million and $50 million.

http://www.timescolo...ation-1.2404240

Twill Flower

20170625_191009.jpg

#415 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:06 AM

Help wanted: individuals and firms experienced in construction project oversight, including quality inspection and implementing comprehensive oversight of subcontractors and overseeing testing plans for a major chandelier manufacturing project in Shanghai. Those with experience with the Johnson Street Bridge project need not apply.
  • mbjj likes this

#416 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:42 PM

Crystal Meth chandelier?!

I miss the Ivy.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#417 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:14 PM

I miss the Bengal Lounge. We used to spend a few hundred dollars there every year. Now we spend 0 at the Empress.

• Nparker likes this

#418 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

I miss the Bengal Lounge. We used to spend a few hundred dollars there every year. Now we spend 0 at the Empress.

Ditto.

#419 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

Ya I'd say the same. Have not spent any money there since it closed.

#420 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:45 PM

I have. It's great.

The food at the Bengal Lounge started to slip a couple of years before it closed. It turned from a high-class lounge to a mediocre buffet where you wouldn't want to order anything off the menu out of fear the chef-du-jour was having trouble finding his spice rack.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users