[Saanich] Panama Flats

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,510 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

Word on the street is the $4 million price tag for Panama Flats was hyper inflated and Saanich should not have spent that amount of money to acquire the land. There are rumblings that this issue will be pushed to the forefront come election time to hear from each incumbent candidate what information was made available to them to ensure that the purchase of the land was in the best interests of tax payers.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

Can you tell me why Saanich bought that property? Are they going to make it a park?

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,510 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

I do not know much about the purchase other than there has been an ongoing issue with flooding due to runoff from neighbouring developments. What I gather is Saanich was complicit in some form in the erosion of farming opportunities on Panama Flats (likely to due to insufficient drainage requirements for nearby properties higher in elevation) thereby turning the land into an undervalued asset for the owner(s?).

As to whether or not Panama Flats will become a park, I do not know.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:47 PM

Saanich has done fairly extensive planning for the Panama Flats:

http://www.saanich.c...ml?ref=shortURL

TL;DR - yes, some will be a park, some will remain farmed

#5 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

Saanich has done fairly extensive planning for the Panama Flats:

http://www.saanich.c...ml?ref=shortURL

TL;DR - yes, some will be a park, some will remain farmed

Does a community garden count as a farm?

#6 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:03 AM

Word on the street is the $4 million price tag for Panama Flats was hyper inflated and Saanich should not have spent that amount of money to acquire the land. There are rumblings that this issue will be pushed to the forefront come election time to hear from each incumbent candidate what information was made available to them to ensure that the purchase of the land was in the best interests of tax payers.

The property was purchased 3.5 years ago. Opponents are a little late to the party!

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,510 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:54 AM

It's never too late to bring information to light, regardless of when something was done.

Now just to be clear these are not opponents. They are people with information that they believe sheds light on the possible a mis-allocation of tax payer money and this may be brought to the forefront before the election. That's all I know.

Know it all.

#8 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

So some farmers bought the property to farm on it, but farming didn't happen because of water problems?

So Saanich then bought it at a higher price than the farmers paid for it because of the water problem?

Is the water problem Saanich's fault?

I know someone that lives near this area and when they bought their house on Carey Road, they thought that they had bought waterfront property on a lake.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,510 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:43 AM

Panama Flats, as I understand it, naturally flooded in the late fall every year. But because of insufficient care and attention given to developments around the property drainage from those lands onto Panama Flats caused it to flood much earlier thereby devastating crops.

It's the same story at the Durrell Creek area not far from Panama Flats. Farmers there are facing the same problem with excess drainage from developed properties all around them collecting on their land much earlier than it did in previous years.

Know it all.

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

Sounds like someone drumming stuff up for an election run in the fall. Timing is all out of whack otherwise.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,510 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

I think there are many people upset with the political status quo in Saanich. Leonard isn't necessarily a well liked mayor from what I gather, he just hasn't been challenged in a very long time and his last challenger didn't put up much of a fight.

Know it all.

#12 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

So some farmers bought the property to farm on it, but farming didn't happen because of water problems?

So Saanich then bought it at a higher price than the farmers paid for it because of the water problem?

Is the water problem Saanich's fault?

I know someone that lives near this area and when they bought their house on Carey Road, they thought that they had bought waterfront property on a lake.

The owners were preparing the land for farming.  The neighbours didn't want to be next to a farm, so the municipality stepped in and bought the land. 

Leonard claims it was done to "save" the farmland and ensure food security.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,510 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

My understanding is Panama Flats was a high producing farm well before most of us were even born.

Know it all.

#14 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

How much did Saanich pay for it? Was it really because the neighbours didn't like the farm idea?

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,510 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:41 PM

$4 million.

Know it all.

#16 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

What did the farmers pay?

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,510 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

That I don't know, but the allegation is Saanich paid 2/3's too much for that land.

This is just the allegation I heard, not something I'm putting out there as a personal opinion or a definitive value.

Know it all.

#18 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:16 AM

That I don't know, but the allegation is Saanich paid 2/3's too much for that land.

This is just the allegation I heard, not something I'm putting out there as a personal opinion or a definitive value.

Value on land of course is very subjective ,especially land that has a restricted use.

I agree with your earlier comment that Frank Leonard hasn't had a serious challenge for Mayor in years and some of his recent comments / decisions have left me wondering whether he has forgotten that he was elected. I don't see any serious contenders on the horizon though and even if the amount paid for Panama Flats was too high I think that it wouldn't stick to Frank anyways.

#19 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

Can you tell me why Saanich bought that property? Are they going to make it a park?

Or clay tennis courts.

#20 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,938 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:15 AM

Saanich spikes 37-acre ALR expansion at Panama Flats

Council to explore small-scale farming at the wetlands instead

https://www.vicnews....t-panama-flats/

saanich should try one of those floating villages like they have in vancouver.  or delta or richmond or whatever.  i can't find it on google now.  but all the homes are run down and attached via piers and boardwalks.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 February 2021 - 08:18 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users