Photo

What's next? A discussion on upcoming buildings and future construction in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

Any news of new projects coming in the near future, we seem to be topped out on all the current projects.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

A little birdie has told us a six storey residential project is coming up real soon on Johnson at Chambers in Fernwood.

Lefevre will be starting another phase of condos at The Railyards in Vic West and Bayview will be moving on a seniors residence before too long.

1075 Pandora is expected to move forward in the fall and Janion's foundation work will begin real soon.

Mountain West Properties has a rezoning application under way for a woodframe lowrise on McClure.

What I'm wondering about is the Admiral Inn property. It's got the zoning, it's got the approvals, and its got the location, but it appears deader than a rock.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

look who is hooked in to the up and coming

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#4 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

Wasn't there supposed to be some news coming regarding the Jukebox site?

#5 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

I'd love to know! it's pretty much accross the street from me.  Speaking of that site, it seems every year the adjacent parking lots are getting bigger and bigger puddles.  That area really is sinking.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

Yes, Jukebox is coming down the pipes. The developers are ready to move soon and will be providing an entry-level product on to the market.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

I wonder if the success of the Janion has spurred more interest among other developers in micro-lofts.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

They won't be micro-lofts, more like smaller to medium size units aimed at the entry to mid-market buyer.

Know it all.

#9 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

Yes, Jukebox is coming down the pipes. The developers are ready to move soon and will be providing an entry-level product on to the market.

Hm "entry level product" doesn't sound terribly exciting although I'm sure it's needed in this city given the high cost of real estate.

Whatever it is I certainly do hope the final outcome is better than that sinfully ugly mid-rise immediately to the east of the site. That abomination is, bar none, one of the blandest building designs I've ever encountered. To refer to it as boring and utterly uninteresting would be an insult to boring and utterly uninteresting things. Hopefully Jukebox or whatever is built on that site can, with some creative landscaping perhaps, take the sinfully dull edge off that block.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

Everything comes with a cost, I guess, but it'll be good to see an entry level product -- finally. Janion is certainly not entry level in terms of cost per square foot.

That being said the developer is not know for "boring." They're responsible for Mosaic, St. Andrew's Square and their latest little gig was the tech office on Vancouver at View.

Know it all.

#11 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

Nothing wrong with entry-level. The city could use an influx of young professional homeowners.

#12 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

I've heard that the King Lasik building at Tillicum and the Island Highway should start in the fall

#13 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

Victoria International Marina should also start in September

#14 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

I've heard that the King Lasik building at Tillicum and the Island Highway should start in the fall

Concorde what is this one all about, do you have a link? Thanks

#15 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

The King Lasik guy advertises that he has performed 86,000 surgeries on eyes. I am guessing he counts each eyeball.

I guess it's time for his own building.

#16 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

Victoria International Marina should also start in September

I wish. I'll believe that one when I see it.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#17 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

Concorde what is this one all about, do you have a link? Thanks

Its a three storey concrete building with underground parking on that grassy lot across the street from the Chevron.  Sorry, I don't have a link, I was just told about it verbally

I wish. I'll believe that one when I see it.

They have hired a guy to head up construction recently so I think this might actually start this year.  If it makes financial sense, I'll leave that up to smarter ones than me

#18 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

Here's pics of the King Lasik building - http://vibrantvictor...reads/?p=189522

#19 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:22 AM

A little birdie has told us a six storey residential project is coming up real soon on Johnson at Chambers in Fernwood.

Change that to 5 storey

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

Change that to 5 storey

Phew! That extra storey had me plenty a-feared! :o

• AllseeingEye and thundergun like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users