Photo

The Drake Eatery: Pandora

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,329 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:55 AM

Anybody else visited The Drake yet, across from Swan's on Pandora? They've quietly opened and I had a couple of beers there yesterday afternoon.

High level of friendly attentiveness from staff, seemed like they had had a crash course on beer (and since many of us early visitors will be beer geeks, I'm sure they'll be challenged). Limited menu, but that's OK, the focus is clearly beer. Drinks are between $5.50-$6.00 for the most part and serving sizes (which are clearly indicated) are either 13 or 16 ounces. No pints, but I'm not bothered as long as I know what I'm getting.

One oddness was the way ordering and serving is done. When you arrive it's up to you to belly up to the bar and order a drink. They take your name, get your tab started and then your server brings it to you. All subsequent ordering is done thru your server. I had Driftwood Gose and Townsite Blackberry, both nice.

https://www.facebook...eeatery?fref=nf

#2 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

Moon Under Water used to do their ordering that way. It's the British way afaik.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

Yup, Tartan Toque does that as well. It's weird.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,329 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

The British way is completely self-serve at the bar, no table service at all.

It's the British way afaik.

#5 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

The British way is completely self-serve at the bar, no table service at all.

I much prefer this model, at least in pub or non-formal dining situations. You never have to wait for a server to order something and you pay up as you order - meaning you can leave whenever you want.

The annoying model, is where you order at the bar then have to deal with servers afterwards for additional items and payment. It's the worst of both worlds and hopefully the Drake isn't using this model.

I'm looking forward to checking it out! Any idea if they have any patio space on either side of the building or is it all inside?

#6 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

I think they are working with the owner of Market Square to get some sort of patio seating inside the square that could be used even when the square is closed.
  • Mr Cook Street likes this
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#7 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

Checked this out today, and really liked the feel of the place. Great beer list. Friendly staff. Plus they had the seasonal Hoyne Entre Nous Belgian Cherry Witbier on tap, which was pretty cool.

#8 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:12 AM

8j.jpg

What purpose does this sign serve?  Other than point out that the staff is incompetent.

I found the place downright odd.

Beer and wine, no spirits.  I've never heard of a bar with no spirits.  Spirits are 25% of the market, and probably closer to 40% of the female market.   Look around next time you are at a busy bar like Cactus or Browns, the females are not drinking beer and most are not drinking wine.  

c-g3-eng-02.jpg

Yet another bar with no online menu, no website at all.  The owner is aware that 95% of us have a computer in our pocket, right?

And it closes at 10pm most nights.  That's odd too.  Most bars I know do very well from 10pm to 12am, any day of the week. 

I'm giving it only until fall of 2016 to survive.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:06 AM

Beer and wine, no spirits.  I've never heard of a bar with no spirits.  Spirits are 25% of the market, and probably closer to 40% of the female market.   Look around next time you are at a busy bar like Cactus or Browns, the females are not drinking beer and most are not drinking wine.  

True, when me and Mrs. West go out I'll typically have a draft beer while she'll start with a spirit-based drink, or as Ferris's Oyster Bar puts it, "Things that look like martinis".

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:09 AM

I know very few females that drink wine, certainly the younger ones don't.  I was out at a recent birthday party, where there was 11 females under 30.  None had wine or beer.  They like fancy drinks like Margaritas, Bellinis, or almost anything with a fun name and nice presentation.  They also like creamy drinks like Long Island's.  A bar I used to work with sold over 500 Long Islands on a busy Friday night.

Here is the Moxies daily specials list, no doubt they do their research.  I've crossed off all the stuff you can't get at Drake.

4r.png

Also, no shots?  You might think it's down and dirty, but shots make you money.  They are easy to make, fast, and almost nobody has a shot and not another drink before or after.   It's a quick $5 out of the customer's pocket and $3.50 into your bank account.

OSJ, what are your thoughts?  What kind of wine numbers do you go through, at your bars?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:51 AM

The Moon Under Water recently started opening 7 days a week so I wonder if it's only that it just opened.

Edited by amor de cosmos, 13 August 2014 - 08:02 AM.

#12 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

What purpose does this sign serve?  Other than point out that the staff is incompetent.

What does this have to do with competence? As for the purpose I see it as a warning to minors that staff face actual legal penalties for serving them and as an explanation to younger patrons why servers are vigilant about checking ID's.

What it suggests to me is that the management believes it will slow down complaints from entitled young people who think they should not be subject to Provincial Law and regulations.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:17 AM

What does this have to do with competence? As for the purpose I see it as a warning to minors that staff face actual legal penalties for serving them and as an explanation to younger patrons why servers are vigilant about checking ID's.

What it suggests to me is that the management believes it will slow down complaints from entitled young people who think they should not be subject to Provincial Law and regulations.

Why not remind the law-breakers, the minors, that they can be fined?  Why point out the staff penalty?  Competent staff simply don't serve minors.

I've never seen that sign in use anywhere else, I find it amateurish to put it in glorious view at the counter.

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:18 AM

Come on, all young people know the laws, they get ID'd over and over again, they are used to it.

#15 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

, I find it amateurish to put it in glorious view at the counter.

This....I find any kind of negative signs like this at any establishment (food, drink, retail or whatever) to be very off putting. And this one would in no way apply to me with my many grey hairs. It gives me a bad impression of the management and usually a reason not to return.

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:32 AM

^ Ya, I hate to see any negative sings, for the staff or customers.  A bar I go to often in Saanich has some very lame signs reminding staff of this and that in an area very clearly visible from where I normally sit at the bar.  Come on (good) management, you don't train staff by excessive signage, and if you choose that style, do it nicely, and do it in the staff-only area. Better yet, read a book or two about good management and staff morale etc.

#17 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

Those signs look like they're government issued, perhaps in conjunction with all the new permissive liquor laws. Maybe as a new establishment they are desperate to please and do everything by the book.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#18 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

Those signs look like they're government issued, perhaps in conjunction with all the new permissive liquor laws. Maybe as a new establishment they are desperate to please and do everything by the book.

This could be true...but another thought that came to mind is that they are putting up a  negative sign, anticipating problems that they have not yet encountered. They just opened!

I've always been of the mind in our business to not create rules until AFTER we have had a problem. Once we have a problem, we figure out a way to not have that happen again by creating a policy for ourselves and that may involve what we will agree to do in an interaction with a customer. But we have no signs stating these things. When a possible problem arises, we discuss the policy with that customer. No need for a negative sign to turn off most of the customers that policy doesn't apply to.

#19 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

must be... MUW has one just like it, but they keep it on the wall in a less obvious place.

#20 simonaitch

simonaitch
  • 14 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

Why no 20 oz pint servings ?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users