Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:55 AM

I would let Bautista go.

#262 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:06 AM

I would let Bautista go.

Let's see what he is asking.  He did not have a career year.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#263 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:08 AM

I would let Bautista go.

Personally, I'm ready to turn the page on the Bautista era. He says too much stupid stuff, like his dumb "circumstances" comment from the Cleveland series. 

I would go all out on Encarnacion, but he is going to be very expensive. One thing in Toronto's favour is that Edwing doesn't seem to love the limelight. David Price's experience in Boston this season is yet another tale of an overpaid veteran player under extreme scrutiny in a huge market. Does that deter a quiet guy like Encarnacion?

I really can't see the team losing Bautista and Encarnacion in the same off season. The Jays have qualified Jose, which means any team that signs him now has to give Toronto their first round pick, which may deter some teams given Jose's age, declining defensive utility and slowly declining offensive ability. 

• Bingo likes this

#264 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:49 AM

Kind of agree on not trying too hard to keep Bautista. I hate to say it, as he's been the face of the team for years, and been part of its backbone, but he hasn't been great this year and seems to keep finding ways to put his foot in his mouth (which has in some cases become pretty overblown). OTOH, Edwin is worth trying hard to keep, because he's still good at 1st and at the plate (though not the fastest runner). Losing one of them would sting, but losing them both I think would really hurt. They have both expressed the desire to finish their careers as Blue Jays, so who knows.

Saunders (who is from Victoria if you didn't know) is a so-so option, which I've read the Jays will be reluctant to make an offer because he might just accept it. He had a weird season (half-and-half), and has been injury-prone before. Still see him as a big question mark.

Fortunately it overall seems like the rest of the team is pretty stable with a fairly strong lineup, with some gaps that may need filling.

#265 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:47 PM

They need to get faster, better defensively and have more 'contact' hitters. 

As a fan, I'm confident they'll be a good team again next year. I don't think I have ever had more faith in the team's management than I have in Atkins and Shapiro. 

#266 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:59 PM

They need to get faster, better defensively and have more 'contact' hitters. 

As a fan, I'm confident they'll be a good team again next year. I don't think I have ever had more faith in the team's management than I have in Atkins and Shapiro. 

Ya, it's hard to believe we are that good, yet so slow on the bases.   We stole .33 bases per game, 25th in the league.  We attempted at the 25th level too, but we were #4 in caught stealing.

We had a collective batting average of .248 too, 23rd in the league.  We were 24th in hits per game.  But #4 in homers per game.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#267 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:56 PM

We had way too many strikeouts as well. 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#268 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:04 PM

Those batters need to get better gloves where the Velcro dosen't keep needing to be adjusted, otherwise they forget why they are up at the plate.

#269 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:10 PM

Anyway, what a game tonight.

Rain minor delay over, let's go!

#270 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:27 PM

Batting this year hasn't been excellent. Certainly not like last year, but that was more an anomaly. Also, runners being left on was happening too much.

#271 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:50 AM

Game 7 had it all. Glad to see the Cubs take it. Great come back after being done 3-1.

#272 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 08:48 PM

Gregg Zaun and Sid Seixeiro at the Taphouse tonight.

File_001 (77).jpeg File_000 (121).jpeg

#273 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:43 AM

Bizarre game last night at the Cardinals. Russell Martin started at 3B (apparently he was initially drafted at that position), crazy dive at home by Chris Coghlan to score (see it), pinch-hit double by Stroman (see it) who later scored on an error. Oh yeah, and they won the game too, 6-5 in 11.

Now 6-14 this season, 0.300, with game 2 in St. Louis tonight (overlapping the election debate unfortunately, may record the latter for later watching).

Edited by grantpalin, 26 April 2017 - 10:45 AM.

#274 catfluff

catfluff
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:00 AM

Bizarre game last night at the Cardinals. Russell Martin started at 3B (apparently he was initially drafted at that position), crazy dive at home by Chris Coghlan to score (see it), pinch-hit double by Stroman (see it) who later scored on an error. Oh yeah, and they won the game too, 6-5 in 11.

Now 6-14 this season, 0.300, with game 2 in St. Louis tonight (overlapping the election debate unfortunately, may record the latter for later watching).

You're safe! Tonight's game has been postponed due to weather. :(

#275 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:30 AM

You're safe! Tonight's game has been postponed due to weather. :(

Bugger that. Though that means a doubleheader tomorrow, should be interesting. Guess that frees up tonight for the debate.

#276 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 12:15 PM

Lambrick Park product Nick Pivetta up with the Phillies. My daughter went out with Nick in high school, good kid who ate, slept and dreamed baseball. Good luck to him in the bigs!

#277 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:30 AM

grantpalin, on 26 Apr 2017 - 11:43 AM, said:

Was a very different game.  Made for some interesting/spectacular moments.

#278 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:07 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uyxllz-i3Y

#279 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:14 AM

Blue Jays starter Marco Estrada couldn't believe it.

"When I saw Coghlan do a front flip over Molina, it was like I saw a unicorn or something," Estrada said. "It's just something that never happens. You might not ever see that again."

Blue Jays manager John Gibbons was impressed.

"He got up there didn't he? You've got to win that game because that's what made it worthwhile," Gibbons said. "You probably don't see that for 100 years."

And then some are saying "what the hell is Stroman doing hitting?" but it's inter-league play so pitchers were batting and Stroman pinched for a lesser-hitter Grilli.

Amazing.

#280 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 06:01 PM

That was pretty awesome!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users