Toronto Blue Jays, Seattle Mariners and MLB discussion

• Please log in to reply
569 replies to this topic

#301 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

Nice little turn-around, considering we are still short our two best all-arounders.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#302 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:55 PM

Tulowitzki is projected to rejoin on Wednesday when the team is in Atlanta. Sanchez is expected to start tomorrow. Happ is still a ways away, nada on Donaldson.

#303 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:40 PM

The Jays did it again. First series sweep, three consecutive series wins, five straight game wins.

Kevin Pillar hit the walkoff HR in the 9th to end it. Sanchez was back and looked decent, though got in trouble a couple times.

17-21, .447, 7 games back.

• thundergun likes this

#304 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:58 PM

The Jays bizarrely fell behind in the series with the Braves, taking only one out of four. Pitching was problematic for most of it except for today. Stroman was excellent on the mound, and belted his first career HR during one of his at bats. Maile hit a homer just before Stroman. Also, Ceciliani (a minor call-up) hit a solo HR which dislocated his shoulder.

Last night was controversial for a few reasons. One, multiple Braves hitters were hit by Jays pitchers. Unlikely intentional, particularly as pitching as all round poor before today. Kevin Pillar uttered an unpleasant word after striking out, which after much outcry has netted him a 2-day suspension (started today, back on Saturday). And Jose Bautista hit a solo HR and flipped his bat, to more hue and cry over his sportsmanship. Granted, given the circumstances (HBPs, Kevin Pillar, behind on the score) the bat flip wasn't timely. It earned him an HBP early in today's game, which he took with grace.

18-24, .429, 8 games back. Three games in Baltimore starting tomorrow.

#305 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:26 PM

Bizarre game hosting the Reds tonight. Tonight was a Jays hit-fest helped with a comedy of opposition defensive errors and questionable pitching. And a botched rundown. And a balked run.

Final score was 17-2. The team collectively batted .500 with 23 hits, and only Kevin Pillar was hitless (his hitting ability has seemed somewhat diminished following his suspension, dunno if there's anything to it). Tulowitzki smacked a grand slam. Overall a fun game to watch.

24-27, .471, 6.5 games back. They are climbing.

Edited by grantpalin, 29 May 2017 - 06:32 PM.

• jonny likes this

#306 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:55 PM

Crazy for sure.

Two weekends from now is the big Canadian road trip to see them play the lowly Mariners. Should be something to see.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#307 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:32 PM

Well, after they are done with the Reds they get to host the Yankees for four games (gulps) then they go west. Wish I was going to that northwest showdown but alas not to be this year.

#308 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:47 AM

Divisional games haven't been kind to the Jays yet this season. Time to turn that around by taking 3 of 4 from the Yanks, after sweeping the Reds of course!

Happ is expected to start today and Liriano is expected to be back this week as well. Things are looking up! *knocks on faux wood desk*

#309 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:48 AM

Note that the Jays are 7-3 in their last 10 and the Rays and Sox are 6-4. The Yankees, Red Sox and Orioles are 5-5 and 3-7. The standings are beginning to regress to where they should be.

#310 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:53 AM

Crazy for sure.

Two weekends from now is the big Canadian road trip to see them play the lowly Mariners. Should be something to see.

I'm guessing this will be the largest Canadian invasion of Seattle ever.

screenshot-mlb.mlb.com-2017-05-31-07-52-04.png

#311 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:50 PM

Blue Jays did their sweep of the Reds today. Offense was a little weak, but they gave some of the big guys a break and used some bench players. Both because of playing a day game after an evening game, and because they have a four-game series with the Yankees starting tomorrow.

One win short of .500!

• jonny likes this

#312 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

Blue Jays split a four-game series with the Yankees. A sweep would have been excellent (or terrible, depending on the direction) but a split was the likely and actual outcome.

Liriano made a good showing on his return from the DL on Friday. Stroman was in good form today. Starting pitching was otherwise weak. Bullpen was decent, except for Jason Grilli who gave up four solo HRs yesterday (the most for a Blue Jays reliever in a single inning).

Jays got the win today courtesy of Josh Donaldson's solo HR in the 8th, especially appropriate on his bobblehead day.

The Yankees overall outscored the Jays by 14 runs.

Thu Jun 1: 2-12

Fri Jun 2: 7-5

Sat Jun 3: 0-7

Sun Jun 4: 3-2

Jays now:

28-29, .491, 5.5 games back

Team is going to Oakland tonight for three games to start the week, then to Skydome North Safeco Field to take on the Mariners starting Friday. Hoping to gain some ground this week.

Edited by grantpalin, 04 June 2017 - 11:59 AM.

#313 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:48 AM

Bautista taking 2nd base on a walk!

http://m.mlb.com/cut...-up-baserunning

#314 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:00 AM

^ That was pretty awesome.  And pretty aware on Bautista's part.  Of course, he walks a lot, so he knows to look.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 June 2017 - 08:01 AM.

#315 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:41 PM

Pretty heads-up on Bautista's part. I like the reaction of the Mariners' manager in the video.

#316 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:22 AM

screenshot-mlb.mlb.com-2017-06-12-08-20-30.png

#317 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:42 AM

Need to finally get and stay over the. 500 hump!

#318 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:05 AM

Gotta break that glass ceiling. Shame that the road trip only yielded 3-3 for the Jays. The Oakland games could have gone much better.

#319 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:18 PM

The concept of an MLB team in Vancouver has been the subject of another discussion on Reddit: https://www.reddit.c...putting_a_team/ (/r/baseball) https://www.reddit.c...putting_a_team/ (/r/torontobluejays). Some good points and counter-points in those.

Overall impression seems to be unlikely in the immediate future, but not impossible. Big factors include where to put a purpose-built stadium (BC Place would be OK as a stopgap, but not long-term), financing, local fan support, and realigning the divisions.

Personally, I would not mind an MLB team in Vancouver as I could go there more frequently than I do Seattle at a lower cost (no exchange rate), even if it's not the Blue Jays.

Edited by grantpalin, 13 June 2017 - 01:22 PM.

#320 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:23 PM

Vancouver would be great. They would need a fabulous stadium though. Aren't too many teams that are looking at moving.

The Jays are blowing another chance at getting to. 500 tonight. They are currently playing like crap again vs the Rays.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)