Photo

Toronto Blue Jays, Seattle Mariners and MLB discussion

• Please log in to reply
567 replies to this topic

#321 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:36 PM

It's been discussed many times apparently. This particular one showed a concept image (below) that looks really good and checks off a number of boxes, namely location, available space, transit connections, and a view.

Vancouver-MLB.jpg

It's obviously modeled off of Safeco Field, but shows a modified outfield wall to allow a view of the North Shore mountains. It evokes AT&T Field down in San Francisco, which is a gorgeous looking ballpark.

Map shows what is currently there now.

And boo on the Jays for letting .500 get away again. It's almost as if they don't want to break that glass ceiling.

Edited by grantpalin, 13 June 2017 - 08:40 PM.

• lanforod and thundergun like this

#322 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:49 PM

Hopefully people would stop cheering on the Blue Jays if that happened. Maybe we could take the Vancouver Canadians then?!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#323 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:55 PM

Blue Jays split the four-game series at the Texas Rangers. Their ninth attempt to to reach .500, and the seventh this month. They are the only MLB team this season that has not yet reached .500.

4-7 on the season vs the Rangers. No more of them this year except possibly the playoffs :)

The mid-season break is approaching. I'd personally like for the team to make up it's mind on where it wants to be, below .500 or above. In part so management can decide what direction to take for competing or rebuilding.

#324 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:17 PM

Blue Jays have signed Victoria native Michael Sunders to a minor league deal. Funnily enough, he was with the Blue Jays for a year or two before he became a free agent - wasn't made an offer from the Jays - and eventually signed on for a one-year deal with the Phillies. Having since been released, Saunders will be joining the Buffalo Bisons.

• Bingo likes this

#325 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:01 AM

Blue Jays have signed Victoria native Michael Sunders to a minor league deal. Funnily enough, he was with the Blue Jays for a year or two before he became a free agent - wasn't made an offer from the Jays - and eventually signed on for a one-year deal with the Phillies. Having since been released, Saunders will be joining the Buffalo Bisons.

Good deal for Toronto.  He gets the balance of his $8M contract from Philadelphia, Jays just have to pay him league minimum to end of season, and they have a back-up on the farm.

Now, they also designated Grilli for assignment. 

• Bingo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#326 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:38 AM

The mid-season break is approaching. I'd personally like for the team to make up it's mind on where it wants to be, below .500 or above. In part so management can decide what direction to take for competing or rebuilding.

I think they still have the team to get things done they just need to put balls over the fence.

Too bad they couldn't have kept Encarnacion, rather that Bautista

#327 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:33 AM

I think they still have the team to get things done they just need to put balls over the fence.

Too bad they couldn't have kept Encarnacion, rather that Bautista

Why? Does Edwin play the outfield?

#328 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:49 AM

Why? Does Edwin play the outfield?

Their stats are no too far off this year each other.  And ya, Edwin does not play the OF.  He's played 1B a bit.  But we have a good one of those suddenly, this year.

And ya, Morales is doing better than both of them this year.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 29 June 2017 - 10:50 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#329 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:54 AM

1B and DH have been strengths this year. Letting Edwin walk has so far worked out just fine.

Joey Bats has quietly hit 14 HRs and 37 RBIs.

Our issues have been:

1. Health

2. Left Field

3. Bullpen

4. Martin, Tulo and Pillar offensively. More and more, Tulo and Martin look to be on severe offensive declines.

I'd love for Pompey to stay healthy for a stretch and get a long look at LF. LF has just been a tire fire all year. Pearce sucks.

Edited by jonny, 29 June 2017 - 10:55 AM.

#330 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:16 AM

I can't believe how much Martin gets paid.  Like $12M a year I think.

#331 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:33 PM

Bautista is now the franchise's #4 for RBIs at 738. #3 is George Bell at 740. source

Agree with the issues the team has had this year. Tulowitzki and Martin are here for some years yet with high dollar contracts.

Martin: 2017-2020 @ $20M/y. Tulowitzki: 2017-2019 @ $20M/y, 2020 @ $14M, 2021 @ $15M

I do miss Edwin's presence, but not so much his bat.

#332 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:12 PM

I can't believe how much Martin gets paid.  Like $12M a year I think.

Martin is an excellent catcher. Team wasn't a winner until him and Tulo came onboard.

#333 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:33 PM

Martin is an excellent catcher. Team wasn't a winner until him and Tulo came onboard.

Both are great in their fielding positions, but the bats have not been what is expected of them.
  • jonny likes this

#334 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:14 PM

Boy, these guys need to get it together. Lost another series to the garbage birds. Boo.

#335 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:12 PM

The Orioles had been on a skid and the Jays still couldn't take advantage. Schedule not any easier over the next 10 days - Red Sox, Yankees, and Astros leading to the break.

• jonny likes this

#336 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:29 AM

The Blue Jays almost have to beat the Red Sox and Yankees. Two series wins including a sweep would do wonders.

#337 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:52 PM

Red Sox swept the Blue Jays this weekend, capped with a 15-1 blowout today, with a current four-game skid.

Outscored 29-6 over the series.

37-44, 0.457, 9.5 games behind the Red Sox.

Three games at the Yankees, then four hosting the Astros leading up to the break. Not going to be an easy week.

Boys in blue just haven't been in the game lately. Frustrating to watch their anemic offense, and defensive misplays. A rebuild is looking better and better.

Edited by grantpalin, 02 July 2017 - 12:57 PM.

#338 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:55 PM

15-1 ...Yikes!      :badpc:

#339 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:05 PM

The Blue Jays almost have to beat the Red Sox and Yankees. Two series wins including a sweep would do wonders.

Not the sweep we would be looking for.

#340 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:47 PM

Nope. They are in a rut, for sure, but at this rate they're going to need to have a hell of a second half to make the post season. This season is looking like a dud, so far.

Starting pitching has fallen off a cliff. The bullpen is thin, at best. Donaldson Martin and Tulo are not the hitters they have been in the past.

I'd really rather see Pompey in LF than Pearce.
  • Wayne likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users