Photo

Toronto Blue Jays, Seattle Mariners and MLB discussion

• Please log in to reply
569 replies to this topic

#341 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:47 PM

I'd really rather see Pompey in LF than Pearce.

Nope...Michael Saunders.

#342 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:30 PM

We're paying the price now for the trades that AA did in 2015. Bought us two consecutive ALDS wins - those rides were great, but hoo boy are we feeling the cost now. There's little depth currently. A rebuild and restocking of the farm could have the team competitive again in '20.

Tulo has a no-trade clause, and even then both he and Martin are unlikely to be taken by other teams unless the Jays pay part of their salaries. Liriano and Estrada are free agents this postseason, Bautista as well unless the mutual option is picked up. Happ is FA next year.

If things really crater this month I think the mgmt needs to be looking hard at trades they can make before the deadline with maximum return.

• jonny likes this

#343 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:42 AM

It's really  hard to put into words how disappointing this season is turning out.

After being arguably the best starting rotation in baseball last year, our rotation has been a tire fire all year. Injuries, on top of bad seasons for Liriano and Estrada. Halfway through the year, our 20 win man from last year JA Happ has TWO wins. 2! Now Stroman has the same or similar blister issues as Sanchez. We didn’t have the depth to handle two injuries, forget about three, four or five. That’s on management.

Funny, the concerns most fans had going into the season (losing Encarnacion, Smoak at 1B, big contract to Morales) really haven’t been issues at all. In fact, those have been rare bright spots. If it wasn’t for Justin Smoak, we’d be getting nothing offensively.

Our bullpen, which was held together with duct tape to start the year, has been pretty much atrocious.

To have Tulo and Martin absolutely crater offensively at the same time is painful. Donaldson hitting .240 and Bautista hitting .230…I mean, c’mon guys.

Kevin Pillar still can’t figure out how to handle a big league bat at a consistent level. If he ever could, man, would he be a superstar. Similarly, if Devon Travis ever put in a full season, he would be a star. I thought he was going to put together an 80 RBI year. Alas, he is turning out to be super injury prone and is untradeable at this point.

Any of our decent prospects are at least a year or two away from graduating to the Blue Jays. It’s getting really hard to see Atkins and Shaprio not blowing things up at the trade deadline. If Stroman, Sanchez or Osuna are moved, the return better be absolutely massive. I’d lean towards keeping those three around.

#344 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:06 PM

Split the series versus the Astros after taking two of three from the Yankees. Both respectable results considering the opponents (esp. the league leader)

However, the Jays took two dreadful losses from the Astros, including a 19-1 blowout today. If Carrera hadn't belted a solo homer in the ninth, the Jays would have been in line for a new franchise record shutout loss (previous was 16-0 from 2012). The record for largest shutout is 22-0, Indians at Yankees in 2004 [source].

Despite splitting the series, they were still outscored 37-17:

Jul 6: 7-4

Jul 7: 2-12

Jul 8: 7-2

Jul 9: 1-19

Going into the All-star break, the team record:

41-47, .466, 8.5 games behind the Red Sox, 5 behind the wild card

Not out of the race currently, but they need to step it up to have a chance.

#345 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:56 PM

Nick Pivetta got blown up today. He struck out the first four batters, then gave up eight runs, including a grand slam, before the next out. Altogether gave up nine runs over five innings. Brewers beat the Phillies 9-6.

#346 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:02 PM

Solid Jays game tonight.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#347 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:10 PM

Looked great. Still too many runners left on base (which has plagued them all year).

#348 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:13 PM

Looked great. Still too many runners left on base (which has plagued them all year).

True. But when you've generally got slow baserunners in base the defence can set the way it wants. There's little risk of chaos as each batter comes up. That's a problem.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#349 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:01 PM

Runners in scoring position has been a big problem this year. Happened last year too, though maybe to a lesser extent. Definitely evidence of aging players.

Sanchez had a good showing today, much better than his previous. 6 innings, 1 unearned run, 4 strikeouts, 2 walks. No apparent blister issue. His first win of the season.

Also, Bautista now holds third place in Blue Jays history for RBIs with 741. George Bell now sits fourth at 740. Ahead of Bautista is Vernon Wells at 813 and Carlos Delgado at 1058 (damn, but that guy could hit!).

Edited by grantpalin, 14 July 2017 - 09:02 PM.

#350 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:29 PM

The Jays Season.

A smart man knows when to say when.

When!
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#351 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

Interestingly the Jays just completed a four-game sweep of the Athletics, ending with a grand slam walk-off by Steve Pearce (watch him willing the ball fair, it was moving towards the left field pole). Last time they swept was the Reds in late May. It's also the first time in franchise history that they have won consecutive walk-offs via home runs. Also, Buck Martinez is the only other Blue Jay, prior to game three, to hit a game winning solo HR following a preceding HR (1986).

Also of interest, the Blue Jays are 12-3 versus AL West opponents at home this season. Previously the Mariners, Rangers, Astros, and lately the Athletics. Angels are next in line this weekend.

Currently a few games back of where they were this time in 2015. They aren't likely to win the division, unless they go on a crazy tear. The wild card is still a possibility, being six games back, but there are multiple teams between here and there.

Edited by grantpalin, 27 July 2017 - 09:12 PM.

#352 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:10 PM

Blue Jays avoided a sweep by the Angels today with a spectacular walk-off grand slam [video link] by Steve Pearce. He finished the Jays' sweep of the Athletics a few days ago in a similar fashion, and is now the third recorded MLB player with two grand slam walk-offs (Cy Williams 1926, Jim Presley 1986) in a single season, and he did both within a week. Ironically the Angels fell victim to a similar ending less than a week ago as well.

The Jays went into the bottom of the ninth with a 10-4 score, clawed in a few runs, and set the table for Pearce to walk it off.

Edited by grantpalin, 30 July 2017 - 02:11 PM.

#353 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:14 PM

Crazy end. Fun to watch live.

#354 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:24 AM

Blue Jays avoided a sweep by the Angels today with a spectacular walk-off grand slam [video link] by Steve Pearce. He finished the Jays' sweep of the Athletics a few days ago in a similar fashion, and is now the third recorded MLB player with two grand slam walk-offs (Cy Williams 1926, Jim Presley 1986) in a single season, and he did both within a week. Ironically the Angels fell victim to a similar ending less than a week ago as well.

The Jays went into the bottom of the ninth with a 10-4 score, clawed in a few runs, and set the table for Pearce to walk it off.

That was something!
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#355 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:51 AM

No trades announced yet, but it sounds like Liriano, Smith and Estrada may be on their way out. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bautista traded, either.

#356 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:06 AM

Who need em. We got Pearce!

#357 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:46 AM

Trade pending physical

Astros <=== Francisco Liriano

Teoscar Hernandez (AAA) [did this] & Nori Aoki ===> Blue Jays

Both incomings are outfielders which will add some depth for the Jays.

Rumors continue over talk over Estrada & Happ.

Edited by grantpalin, 31 July 2017 - 10:50 AM.

#358 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:01 AM

Prospects Ramirez, McGuire, Teoscar and 130+ innings from Liriano for Drew Hutchison. That's pretty darn good.

#359 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:53 AM

The Cubs made peace with Steve Bartman today by giving him a 2016 World Series ring.

http://wgntv.com/201...mpionship-ring/

For those who may not know, in the 2003 NLCS between the Cubs and the Marlins, Bartman reached for a foul ball headed into the stands which might have been catchable by the Cubs' left fielder Alou [video]. The Cubs lost the game and were eliminated from the NLCS in the next one. Bartman was crucified in the media and by the fanbase for his "interference" (no interference was ruled as the ball was already over the stands). Though the Cubs lost the game just fine on their own later giving up multiple runs. But Bartman's action was seen as the first domino to fall.

With the gifting of the ring today, the Cubs take a big step towards reconciliation.

Statement from Bartman:

Although I do not consider myself worthy of such an honor, I am deeply moved and sincerely grateful to receive an official Chicago Cubs 2016 World Series Championship ring. I am fully aware of the historical significance and appreciate the symbolism the ring represents on multiple levels. My family and I will cherish it for generations. Most meaningful is the genuine outreach from the Ricketts family, on behalf of the Cubs organization and fans, signifying to me that I am welcomed back into the Cubs family and have their support going forward. I am relieved and hopeful that the saga of the 2003 foul ball incident surrounding my family and me is finally over.

I humbly receive the ring not only as a symbol of one of the most historic achievements in sports, but as an important reminder for how we should treat each other in today’s society. My hope is that we all can learn from my experience to view sports as entertainment and prevent harsh scapegoating, and to challenge the media and opportunistic profiteers to conduct business ethically by respecting personal privacy rights and not exploit any individual to advance their own self-interest or economic gain.

Moreover, I am hopeful this ring gesture will be the start of an important healing and reconciliation process for all involved. To that end, I request the media please respect my privacy, and the privacy of my family. I will not participate in interviews or further public statements at this time.

Words alone cannot express my heartfelt thanks to the Ricketts family, Crane Kenney, Theo Epstein, and the entire Cubs organization for this extraordinary gift, and for providing the City of Chicago and Cubs fans everywhere an unforgettable World Championship in 2016. I am happy to be reunited with the Cubs family and positively moving forward with my life.

Edited by grantpalin, 31 July 2017 - 12:01 PM.

#360 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:07 PM

Indians <=== RHP Joe Smith

LHP Thomas Panonne, 2B Samad Taylor ===> Blue Jays

Apparently one possible factor in this trade is that Joe is now closer to his mom who has Huntington's.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users