Victoria

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:20 PM

Jeremy Loveday has formally announced his candidacy for City of Victoria council.

Facebook: https://www.facebook...edayforVictoria

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:23 PM

Jeremy might want to get himself an actual website soon.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

Oh, I suspect he will soon enough.

Jeremy has done some neat things. My favourite is the poem Come Home Canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI-94i5EY_g

#4 J_Loveday

J_Loveday
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

Hi VibrantVictoria!  I've been reading these forums for years. Thank you for creating a page for my candidacy.  I'll try to check back regularly to answer any questions that you all may have.

We'll be launching my website soon.  I'll post a link here once it is live. 

• Nparker likes this

#5 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:25 AM

I just met with him for coffee and I am very impressed with him.  He is the sort of person that will change the council for the better.  

• Amused likes this

#6 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

I wont be voting for him by any means as he is much too left wing and idealistic, but I would love to see him voted in to witness rhythmic rhymes being spouted during a hearing. 

• J_Loveday likes this

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#7 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:54 AM

Any website yet?

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#8 J_Loveday

J_Loveday
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:29 AM

Yes!  We've re-launched the site at:

http://www.jeremyloveday.ca

Any website yet?

#9 J_Loveday

J_Loveday
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

Bernard, It was great to meet with you. Thank you for your time and for sharing your ideas for Victoria.  I'm glad to have your support. 

I just met with him for coffee and I am very impressed with him.  He is the sort of person that will change the council for the better.  

#10 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

Webiste looked good until I got to

2. Speaking out about important issues even when it is difficult. Whether the issue is gender violence, dangerous pipelines, poverty, or food security, I have consistently advocated for safer, fairer and more sustainable communities.

Gender violence, dangerous pipelines and food security...my lord those are not even close to the top three issues facing Victoria.

I'm curious as to what "dangerous pipeline" issues you have had to speak out about and what these issues could have possibly had to do with Victoria, which to my knowledge doesn't have any pipelines going through it?

• Mixed365 likes this

#11 J_Loveday

J_Loveday
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:26 AM

To be fair, that is not my platform or a list of the issues I think are most important in our city. Please keep reading the website or click on "platform".  Good feedback though. I don't want a sentence drawing attention to my past advocacy work to distract from the important local issues we face.

Webiste looked good until I got to

Gender violence, dangerous pipelines and food security...my lord those are not even close to the top three issues facing Victoria.

I'm curious as to what "dangerous pipeline" issues you have had to speak out about and what these issues could have possibly had to do with Victoria, which to my knowledge doesn't have any pipelines going through it?

• Nparker likes this

#12 R0ark

R0ark
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:58 AM

www.jeremyloveday.ca

Your menu link for your blog doesn't work.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:55 AM

Whoa, that's a pretty nice site. Winner of the 2014 municipal election website contest? I think so.

• J_Loveday likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

http://www.jeremyloveday.ca

It's a good looking site.

However, my Kaspersky Antivirus alerted me that the site might be a possible "phishing" site.  Not sure if that's going to be an issue for other readers or not.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that your three endorsements are from the same people endorsing Erik Kaye, and two of them are very similar to Erik's. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#15 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

...Also, I couldn't help but notice that your three endorsements are from the same people endorsing Erik Kaye, and two of them are very similar to Erik's. 

That is a serious concern of mine as well. Victoria ABSOLUTELY does not need any more councillors whose first concern seems to be shouldering all the burdens of the world on the taxpayers of Victoria. I reiterate from my previous post in the "Erik Kaye" thread: municipal politicians should keep the infrastructure in good working shape; promote an appropriate balance between business and residential interests; and manage/fund the necessary local emergency and peace-keeping services...and that's pretty much it.

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

If a candidate came to me and said "I support fact/statistic based planning" for transit, road and bike then I would support that.  Let the numbers guide the decisions.  But to say "I support sustainable transport initiatives" is a bit concerning for me.  What does that mean exactly?  That's what was said before by previous candidates and it's resulted in quite the hodge-podge network of bus and bike lanes that many of us feel are under utilized or otherwise don't properly serve the transport needs of the community.

It's like the LRT - we don't have the ridership to make that viable yet there are still councillors that want to get behind that plan.  Meanwhile water pipes are on the verge of collapsing and our fire trucks are set to be under a pile of rubble in the event of a significant earthquake. 

• Nparker, AndrewReeve and Mixed365 like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#17 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

Yeah it's nice to hear someone's federal or global level concerns and passions, but I want to know what they'll do at the city level as a councilor.  Tell me Victoria-specific issues and platforms.  I mean unless there's some pipeline being built in the city that will be used for human trafficking and smuggling tainted food that I don't know about.

• Nparker, jonny and thundergun like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#18 J_Loveday

J_Loveday
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for the heads up.  I will check in with my web guy.  

It's a good looking site.

However, my Kaspersky Antivirus alerted me that the site might be a possible "phishing" site.  Not sure if that's going to be an issue for other readers or not.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that your three endorsements are from the same people endorsing Erik Kaye, and two of them are very similar to Erik's. 

#19 J_Loveday

J_Loveday
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:29 PM

I'm hoping that you took a minute to look at my 3 core platforms points as well as the one sentence that talks about National and Global issues in my introduction.  I hope you take the time to check back as well as I will be posting in depth views on the major issues over the coming days and weeks.

I understand that for a government to provide cost-effective public services, we need a thriving local economy.  I've been meeting with leaders from many sectors to hear their ideas for how the City of Victoria can better support our business community. I would look forward to hearing ideas from any of you as well.  

Good eye on catching that my first three endorsements are similar to Erik Kaye's. That does not make me any less proud to have their support. 

I will be announcing three very different endorsements this week.  

Yeah it's nice to hear someone's federal or global level concerns and passions, but I want to know what they'll do at the city level as a councilor.  Tell me Victoria-specific issues and platforms.  I mean unless there's some pipeline being built in the city that will be used for human trafficking and smuggling tainted food that I don't know about.

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:15 AM

http://www.timescolo...rglar-1.1398562

A Victoria council candidate out door-knocking got a first-hand look at neighbourhood crime issues when he interrupted a house burglary.

Jeremy Loveday said he and a volunteer were campaigning around mid-day in the Fernwood neighbourhood Saturday when a knock on a door prompted an unusual response.

[...]

• John M. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users