Photo

McDonald's restaurants in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
707 replies to this topic

#321 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:23 PM

^You'd really want to live directly above a McDonalds?

I would lose my mind in any condo.

But VHF is right. People will buy anything. There's a McD development that went in on West Broadway. Talk about an area that you think would be fairly anti-McD's, but they still sold.

#322 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:31 PM

Vancouver loves McDonald's just as much as Victoria does. Before the Mack came along there was already a McDonald's on that site. I would have no problem living in that building.

#323 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:35 PM

And I would love to see that sort of mixed-use format on the Pandora site.

Edit: So when a McDonald's is renovated, how does it all work re: getting a unique exterior as versus a standard-issue one?

Contemporary-McDonalds-by-Mei-Architects

pic from http://www.thecoolis...mei-architects/

Edited by aastra, 30 October 2015 - 12:45 PM.

#324 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:53 PM

Uhh no. Mixing at the volumes and speeds of motor vehicles on Pandora doesn't work. This is why we have protected walking lanes (aka sidewalks) and will soon have protected bike lanes on Pandora.

How many bike/car accidents have happened on Pandora in the last 25 years?  And don't forget, we reduced Pandora speeds by 20% in just the last 12 months.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#325 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:54 PM

I would lose my mind in any condo.

But VHF is right. People will buy anything. There's a McD development that went in on West Broadway. Talk about an area that you think would be fairly anti-McD's, but they still sold.

They need not be condos either, they could be rentals.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#326 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 12:57 PM

And I would love to see that sort of mixed-use format on the Pandora site.

Edit: So when a McDonald's is renovated, how does it all work re: getting a unique exterior as versus a standard-issue one?

pic from http://www.thecoolis...mei-architects/

That's worse.  Everyone has to see the hideous interior of a McDonalds then.  I'd rather it be a black box with a white M over a door, and tinted windows.

#327 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:05 PM

How many bike/car accidents have happened on Pandora in the last 25 years?  And don't forget, we reduced Pandora speeds by 20% in just the last 12 months.

A fair number: http://www.icbc.com/...s/Cyclists.aspx (although none at this intersection). As for reducing speeds, no, they reduced the speed limit. That is totally different to reducing the actual speed.

But it isn't just crashes, it also how many near-misses we have had: https://bikemaps.org...123.3533978,16z and how comfortable the existing road is. There haven't been all that many bikes using Pandora because the road is a very low comfort place to bike.

• Baro likes this

#328 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:10 PM

A fair number: http://www.icbc.com/...s/Cyclists.aspx (although none at this intersection). As for reducing speeds, no, they reduced the speed limit. That is totally different to reducing the actual speed.

But it isn't just crashes, it also how many near-misses we have had: https://bikemaps.org...123.3533978,16z and how comfortable the existing road is. There haven't been all that many bikes using Pandora because the road is a very low comfort place to bike.

I would agree that Pandora from Vancouver to Douglas is not a comfortable ride.  I would much rather take Yates, but then it's annoying to get on the JSB from there.

The problem with that section of Pandora as it currently is, is the right lane is truly massive, so you get these people speeding (over 60 easily) and they're all over the lane.  It's not a great feeling to try and pick a line somewhere in that zone and bike it.  Looking forward to next summer...

#329 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:13 PM

I'd rather it be a black box with a white M over a door, and tinted windows.

Gotcha. So exactly like this, but with a white "M" instead of yellow:

019.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#330 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 01:35 PM

^touche but I still hate it.  It's giving me that post-McD's feeling just looking at it.

#331 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:53 PM

I'm often the first to engage in a bike/car debate, but even I'm starting to get sick of them.

Why can't we just agree that some people like/want/need to drive and others like/want/need to bike and call it a day?  By golly, maybe we could even have "bike thrus" one day with a protected lane just for cyclists!

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#332 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:58 PM

Part of the appeal of a place like Red Robin is the bright jovial atmosphere, the music, the flurry of staff tending to your needs, the bottomless french and yam fries, stuff like that. And you can order off of a pretty big menu.

I admit I actually enjoyed myself there despite the long wait, but it's not a place I've visited more than a handful of times in my whole life.

My wishes for Victoria are:

- Red Lobster

- Outback Steakhouse

- IHOP

- Chipotle

Olive Garden

• Nparker and LocalMom like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#333 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:04 PM

I'm often the first to engage in a bike/car debate, but even I'm starting to get sick of them.

Why can't we just agree that some people like/want/need to drive and others like/want/need to bike and call it a day?  By golly, maybe we could even have "bike thrus" one day with a protected lane just for cyclists!

I am tired of the debate too. It takes way too much effort to get council's to do the right thing and build the proper infrastructure for bikes. Glad we agree that councils just need to get it done on bike infra ;)

• Baro, thundergun and nagel like this

#334 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:31 AM

McDonalds-pandora-renovation.jpg

Pandora Avenue McDonald's restaurant in queue for renovation and expansion

http://victoria.citi...-and-expansion/

The McDonald’s restaurant at 980 Pandora Avenue will undergo a renovation and expansion later this year, according to documents filed with the City of Victoria. [Full article]

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#335 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:33 AM

...The McDonald’s restaurant at 980 Pandora Avenue will undergo a renovation and expansion later this year...

Will the renovation address the issue of some of its more questionable customers?

#336 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:37 AM

It looks like it will be adding capacity for more.

• sebberry likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#337 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:38 AM

^ Yes, because it'll double its drive-thru capacity.  Few of the homeless drive.

Right now it's very loud in there as most of the the seating is low, in moveable tables and chairs.  I'd expect them to add a few partitions and some booth seating like you see in the Rona parking-lot one.

#338 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:40 AM

I see an Audi in the parking lot and what appears to be another Audi in the drive-thru. 

But no dedicated bicycle or shopping cart parking.  This isn't going to go over well.

• Nparker and nagel like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#339 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:11 AM

I don't know, will the neighbourhood allow them to raze every other building for miles around as shown in the rendering?

Seriously, no context at all? And what's the deal with all of that parking seemingly right out front? It seems crazy to me that the most urban McDonald's on this site was the very first one, even though it had that classic suburban appearance. Although considering that whole de-urbanization trend that happened on Pandora, maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

#340 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:19 AM

I don't know, will the neighbourhood allow them to raze every other building for miles around as shown in the rendering?

I believe the rendering is showing an eventual post-apocalyptic setting.

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users