McDonald's restaurants in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
707 replies to this topic

#381 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:59 AM

Well I guess when minimum wage employees start demanding $15-20 an hour, you start putting kiosks in to replace them.

That's exactly right.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#382 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:14 AM

Actually, the move to kiosks and robotic cooking and eliminating jobs was going on a lot longer than the call for a living wage.

It's more driven by the fact that fast food companies are seeing a slow down or dip in growth, and the easiest/fastest way to cut costs is to always slash the lowest ranks of the labor force (because why the heck would the CEO take a pay cut, that's crazy talk).

So this has nothing to do with the $15/hour wage issue, and everything to do with the last 30 or so years of corporate group-think.

• Nparker, http and tedward like this

#383 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:47 AM

Actually, the move to kiosks and robotic cooking and eliminating jobs was going on a lot longer than the call for a living wage.

It's more driven by the fact that fast food companies are seeing a slow down or dip in growth, and the easiest/fastest way to cut costs is to always slash the lowest ranks of the labor force (because why the heck would the CEO take a pay cut, that's crazy talk).

So this has nothing to do with the $15/hour wage issue, and everything to do with the last 30 or so years of corporate group-think.

I think it has everything to do with keeping prices down.  That's what the consumer demands.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#384 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:47 AM

I think it has everything to do with keeping prices down.  That's what the consumer demands.

That and Speed they want quick service faster than a human

#385 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:34 AM

McDonald's spends 13x more on daily employee wages (approximately $13 million globally) than the CEO earns annually (base salary of $1.3 million per annum). Cutting his salary accomplishes absolutely nothing and jeopardizes McDonald's chances of ensuring they can keep that daily $13 million employee wage going full tilt.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#386 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:55 PM

We went into Tim Hortons to grab a coffee yesterday. We asked for one regular and one decaf.

The young lady asked if we would like a apple fritter for $.25. She then turned to another young lady that was watching over her and said "see, this time I remembered to ask them" We said "sure we will do that."  A minute or so later she told us it would be a ten minute wait, they were just baking them. We said "forget it".

Then another young lady came up and said we could get a doughnut for the same price, so we said "OK", and picked out a doughnut. As I was standing there I asked the young lady who was obviously being helped along if it was her first week on the job. She said "oh no, I've been here two years."

That's why they are paid minimum wage.

To cap it off, she handed me the two cups of coffee and I asked "how do I tell which one is decaf?"

She said "oh, was one of them supposed to be decaf?"

She then poured one out, got me a decaf and off we went.

Sheesh.

• VicHockeyFan and Matt R. like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#387 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:03 PM

We went into Tim Hortons to grab a coffee yesterday. We asked for one regular and one decaf.

The young lady asked if we would like a apple fritter for $.25. She then turned to another young lady that was watching over her and said "see, this time I remembered to ask them" We said "sure we will do that."  A minute or so later she told us it would be a ten minute wait, they were just baking them. We said "forget it".

Then another young lady came up and said we could get a doughnut for the same price, so we said "OK", and picked out a doughnut. As I was standing there I asked the young lady who was obviously being helped along if it was her first week on the job. She said "oh no, I've been here two years."

That's why they are paid minimum wage.

To cap it off, she handed me the two cups of coffee and I asked "how do I tell which one is decaf?"

She said "oh, was one of them supposed to be decaf?"

She then poured one out, got me a decaf and off we went.

Sheesh.

Classic.  Lately my dollar store has been asking me if I'd like to buy one random extra thing each time at the check-out.  I appreciate the attempt at the up-sell.  The guy told me has was at 18 one days, and had done 44 the day before, he was keeping a list.  So it must work.

#388 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:16 PM

...As I was standing there I asked the young lady who was obviously being helped along if it was her first week on the job. She said "oh no, I've been here two years." That's why they are paid minimum wage...

It sounds to me like they must have a TERRIBLE manager who hasn't a clue how to ensure his/her staff are properly trained. Of course that's what you get when you pay crap salaries to all your staff. The "manager" probably makes $13/hour.

#389 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:00 AM

The Pandora redesign was unanimously rejected by Victoria City council.

#390 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:05 AM

Because of the expanded drive thru?

#391 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:11 AM

I don't know, the minutes are not yet available online.  But I'd guess that expanding drive-thrus is not on this councils to-do list.

#392 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:30 AM

Council likely envisions this as Victoria's first fast food/ safe injection site.

#393 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 July 2016 - 07:53 AM

The bigger drive-thrus often have fewer cars idling for as long as the single-lane drive-thrus.
  • Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#394 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:29 AM

Largely the bigger drive-thru I expect. Not all councillors articulated their reason why.

I wrote in to say that drive-thrus are terrible urbanism in general and even worse when on two major bike routes (Pandora & Vancouver). Given the property is already zoned for a drive-thru, I think they could probably do an upgrade that doesn't trigger a parking variance, but I am not sure.

• Mr Cook Street and nagel like this

#395 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:51 AM

Largely the bigger drive-thru I expect. Not all councillors articulated their reason why.

I wrote in to say that drive-thrus are terrible urbanism in general and even worse when on two major bike routes (Pandora & Vancouver). Given the property is already zoned for a drive-thru, I think they could probably do an upgrade that doesn't trigger a parking variance, but I am not sure.

You'd think somehow technology would still allow them to speed up the drive-thru even with just one lane.  It seems to me the bottle-neck is payment.  Interac Tap should be speeding that up already.

#396 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:56 AM

If you are going to allow a drive thru anyways who cares if its one or two lanes?
  • sebberry likes this

#397 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:59 AM

You'd think somehow technology would still allow them to speed up the drive-thru even with just one lane.  It seems to me the bottle-neck is payment.  Interac Tap should be speeding that up already.

Tap requires you have a tap-enabled card. I don't (Coast Capital member).

Regardless, I think the city should rezone to prevent new drive-thrus, as well as make the existing ones legal non-conforming. Then we can be free of them sooner rather than later.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#398 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:09 AM

Did anyone mention the big setback along Pandora and how this redesign represents a chance to finally correct it?

• Nparker likes this

#399 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:09 AM

I won't get fast food unless the place has a drive thru. I'll drive across town just to use a drive thru
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Matt R. and 1 other like this

#400 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:11 AM

Tap requires you have a tap-enabled card. I don't (Coast Capital member).

Regardless, I think the city should rezone to prevent new drive-thrus, as well as make the existing ones legal non-conforming. Then we can be free of them sooner rather than later.

People like them though.  Look at the Starbucks on Douglas across from Mayfair.  Why deny people what they like?

• sebberry likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users