Photo

McDonald's restaurants in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
707 replies to this topic

#401 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:37 AM

People like them though.  Look at the Starbucks on Douglas across from Mayfair.  Why deny people what they like?

It's not a net benefit for society, given the totally needless emissions released, the atrocious quality of food provided at such a convenience that it only exacerbates the negative health impact.  Wasted land needed for the vehicle infrastructure, increased conflicts with other modes of transportation at both entry and exit points.  They also encourage people to eat and/or consume hot liquids while driving, which is pretty stupid given the duty of care you have when driving a vehicle, especially in an urban environment where pedestrians often outnumber vehicles.  They also de-prioritize the actual in-restaurant service.  It's well known you will be served faster at drive thru for Starbucks than at the counter because they will escalate drive thru beverages.  So that's just another incentive to drive vs. walking to the location.

And quite simply they're a symbol of what's wrong with our society, where we value convenience over quality, and don't give a damn about the repercussions.

#402 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:40 AM

Wasted land needed for the vehicle infrastructure, increased conflicts with other modes of transportation at both entry and exit points.  

Some would argue the overall footprint of the store is smaller when you have a drive-through.  You do not need extra seating for dine-in customers (and the associated costs and environmental effects of heating it).  You do not need extra parking spots for people that have to go in to buy the food.

It seems to me the perfect drive-thru is you drive up to a console.  Stop, turn off your engine.  Order by voice or by touch.  Pay by card after you have entered your order.  Then however many seconds or minutes later, your order arrives at the console, comes up from a dumb-waiter type thing with a door facing the driver.  The door slides open, you collect your meal.  Start your engine, drive away.  You have 12 of these things at each location.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#403 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:45 AM

Some would argue the overall footprint of the store is smaller when you have a drive-through.  You do not need extra seating for dine-in customers (and the associated costs and environmental effects of heating it).  You do not need extra parking sports for people that have to go in to buy the food.

Heat pumps are not that environmentally damaging compared to dozens of idling cars.

The Douglas McD's has zero parking and does just fine.  I think this location needs a lot less parking than it has.  Why not develop the land and have a McD's on the ground floor.  This happened in Vancouver on West Broadway.  There are other options for this location, and there's no reason for council to rubber stamp the option that goes against not only its values, but the values of a lot of people who live in the core.

#404 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 09:55 AM

Why not develop the land and have a McD's on the ground floor.  

That's a great idea.   :teacher:

• Mr Cook Street likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#405 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 01:44 PM

MCDonalds re- signed a 30 year lease with the Diocese and it didnt include building something else

#406 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:10 AM

We restrict the flow of traffic at every possible opportunity, but complain about a drive-thru?

We have more idling traffic now than we've ever had before ...and it's not because of population growth.
  • Nparker and sebberry like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#407 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:16 AM

If you've gone inside this McDonald's it's just awful, no wonder they want to expand the drive thru.  

Went in there a few months ago, people sleeping at the tables, garbage everywhere, and don't mention the bathrooms.  I think this was the first bathroom in Victoria I saw the lightning to prevent shooting up.

#408 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:25 AM

I think a car emits far more carbon by driving from downtown to a Saanich McDonald's drive-thru, than idling at the Pandora one for 6 minutes.

#409 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 July 2016 - 09:07 AM

I think a car emits far more carbon by driving from downtown to a Saanich McDonald's drive-thru, than idling at the Pandora one for 6 minutes.

Ok, I'll admit it. I drive past two Timmies to get to #3 with the drive-thru. Usually it's because there's some interesting conversation on the radio. If the drive-thru is backed up to the road, I'll park and go inside.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#410 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:57 AM

Remember when our council was fretting over the expansion plans of the Shell station on Yates?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#411 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 11:44 AM

Ok, I'll admit it. I drive past two Timmies to get to #3 with the drive-thru.

Usually it's because there's some interesting conversation on the radio.

If the drive-thru is backed up to the road, I'll park and go inside.

I don't go to TIM's with a drive through because the folks at the window keep getting served before the folks who come in the door.

I go to the one at Shelbourne and Cedar Hill X Road. No drive through so I get faster service with my chili order. 

• nagel likes this

#412 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:12 PM

But from the CoV Council perspective, that carbon is Saanich's problem.

#413 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:15 PM

But from the CoV Council perspective, that carbon is Saanich's problem.

I don't think many people are actually going from downtown to Saanich by car to avoid getting out of their car at McD's.  That could easily take you an hour, because the traffic is so bad on that route.

• RFS likes this

#414 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:17 PM

I don't think many people are actually going from downtown to Saanich by car to avoid getting out of their car at McD's.  That could easily take you an hour, because the traffic is so bad on that route.

Well, to Hillside or Shelbourne and Cedar Hill X Rd. then.  That's not an hour. 

#415 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:22 PM

Well, to Hillside or Shelbourne and Cedar Hill X Rd. then.  That's not an hour. 

15 minutes from Yates & Douglas by car.

One hour by bicycle.

Edited by Bingo, 19 July 2016 - 12:23 PM.

#416 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:38 PM

15 minutes from Yates & Douglas by car.

One hour by bicycle.

If there's no traffic, and not return.

I'd beat you by bike from Yates and Douglas to the Hillside McD's.  And I'd also have worked off 1/3 of the milkshake.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#417 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:34 PM

I'd beat you by bike from Yates and Douglas to the Hillside McD's.  And I'd also have worked off 1/3 of the milkshake.

If I'm driving my Aston Martin DB5 you won't, and I will have had three Martini's during the trip.

https://www.youtube....h?v=r_PpAslO33k

• VicHockeyFan and nagel like this

#418 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:05 PM

9:58pm on Sunday, July 31st.  Hillside.

Maybe 11 people in the place total, dining.

File_003 (3).jpeg File_002 (6).jpeg

I just think zero people on staff even care.

• Nparker likes this

#419 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:19 PM

Its actually customers who have done this they act as though their mom works there and will clean up behind them.

#420 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:56 PM

A few customers are like that. Probably not most. But I'm not going to clean up after the last guy, save for maybe wiping the table, so that's the staff job.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users