Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:23 AM

The budget version is the

Unhappy Meal

#502 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:49 PM

But this has been going on since the beginning of time tedward. Are you upset that your car or clothes were built by machines?

Who said I was upset? :confused:

It is simply a reality that has to be addressed with new ways of living. I am no Luddite trying to smash industrial machinery, that would be pointless.

you are very wrong about predicting the demise of cooks whether slow or fast food and tellers don't think so they predicted that 4 decades ago

There is nothing prepared in a McDonald's restaurant that could not be prepared and served by robots TODAY. The only thing preventing their adoption is cost per unit and that will come down rapidly.

We will see automated fast-food restaurants in the next decade where they will be loaded like pop machines are today. A truck will pull up and one or two humans (yep, that "job" will last for a while longer) will "load" the freezer units from which point the next human to touch the food will be the consumer. A single restaurant of this type will have one person on duty to troubleshoot at best.

The technology is already feasible but not yet cost-effect for full implementation and consumer attitudes have been slowly changed to the point where I think people would be willing to try it if not today then in only a couple of years.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#503 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:24 PM

^ Why do I see a future where the stocking robot gets it wrong, and we'll get thin slices of frozen filet-o-fish as a garnish on our tomato burgers!

• VicHockeyFan and tedward like this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#504 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:32 PM

There is nothing prepared in a McDonald's restaurant that could not be prepared and served by robots TODAY. The only thing preventing their adoption is cost per unit and that will come down rapidly.

We will see automated fast-food restaurants in the next decade where they will be loaded like pop machines are today. A truck will pull up and one or two humans (yep, that "job" will last for a while longer) will "load" the freezer units from which point the next human to touch the food will be the consumer. A single restaurant of this type will have one person on duty to troubleshoot at best.

This is the dream, though I think McDonalds hopes to replace the loader & truck with a self-driving truck and robot loader, and the one site person on-duty with a remote trouble call center in Bangladesh.

Maybe the Pandora McD's will be the trial for this.

#505 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:11 PM

Most of the packaged food you buy at a grocery store is machine prepared.

From pizza to pierogies to potatoe chips, humans are no longer directly involved in the production of the items. They just prep the ingredients for the machines to put together into recognizable products, and even then I'm sure many of the jobs in food processing plants are in place because of unions but which could be automated.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#506 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:04 PM

There is nothing prepared in a McDonald's restaurant that could not be prepared and served by robots TODAY.

The only thing preventing their adoption is cost per unit and that will come down rapidly.

Once that happens technology will be so cheap that we will be able to have our food prepared at home with robots.

What a minute, maybe some of us have that now, but the cost of our unit it seems to have gone through the roof...eh dear? 

#507 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:41 AM

Once that happens technology will be so cheap that we will be able to have our food prepared at home with robots.

What a minute, maybe some of us have that now, but the cost of our unit it seems to have gone through the roof...eh dear? 

Different type of operation. Automating a set menu on a bulk scale is a very different technology than a robot chef that can make a wide variety of dishes. Eventually it will happen but much further down the road I think.

#508 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:10 AM

This is the dream, though I think McDonalds hopes to replace the loader & truck with a self-driving truck and robot loader, and the one site person on-duty with a remote trouble call center in Bangladesh.

Maybe the Pandora McD's will be the trial for this.

Why stop there? You can be driven up in your driverless car to have your seat automatically recline for your per-chewed food to be discharged through an automated feeding dispenser from the vat of your choice.

#509 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:00 AM

Why stop there? You can be driven up in your driverless car to have your seat automatically recline for your per-chewed food to be discharged through an automated feeding dispenser from the vat of your choice.

Wall-E was a frightening glimpse of the future of humanity based on just that idea hidden in a cute animated movie about robots in love.

Where is my autonomous La-Z Boy chair/car to take me to the McDonald's bio-shale dispenser? I hear they have blue cups today!

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, rjag and 1 other like this

#510 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:54 PM

" ... then I'm sure many of the jobs in food processing plants are in place because of unions but which could be automated."

quickly skimming over this conversation, I read that as onions and then wasted several minutes trying to figure out why you couldn't use a machine to slice them...

• Mike K. and dasmo like this

#511 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:38 PM

Don't worry all. Organic is the fastest growing sector in the US food industry... plus in the future we all get a living wage and we only work for extra money or for fun. Until the singularity occurs and the robots all turn on us....
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#512 Jables

Jables
  • 130 posts
  • LocationHappy Valley

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:16 AM

It looks like somebody has already punched one of the touchscreens at the Douglas Street location and broken it.  I imagine that this will be a common occurrence and I feel for the owner!

#513 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:26 AM

It looks like somebody has already punched one of the touchscreens at the Douglas Street location and broken it.  I imagine that this will be a common occurrence and I feel for the owner!

Didn't like the choices offered???

#514 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:31 AM

common downtown at either Douglas or Pandora not in the suburban locations

#515 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:10 AM

So much for the foreign temp workers coming here to work for 3 years at minimum wage, have their employer put them up in a group home, then save half of their take home to then purchase a middle class home outright when they return. It was a good gig while it lasted.

#516 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:57 PM

Free small coffee all this week at McDonald's.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#517 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:04 PM

Free small coffee all this week at McDonald's.

Still free refills.

#518 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:54 PM

Anyone tried the table service? Available at Mt Newman X. Perhaps other locations as well?

#519 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:08 PM

did it at uptown. very strange but the build a burgers are actually quite good
  • 57WestHills likes this

#520 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:37 PM

So much for the foreign temp workers coming here to work for 3 years at minimum wage, have their employer put them up in a group home, then save half of their take home to then purchase a middle class home outright when they return. It was a good gig while it lasted.

That is not an accurate description

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users