• Please log in to reply
707 replies to this topic

#521 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 06:22 AM

McBarge coming to Victoria?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#522 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:52 PM

That is not an accurate description

How so?

FTW making $11 an hour and living in a group setting which was common, after taxes, rent etc you can send home $8,000 a year or $24,000 after 3 years.

Where the average home in Canada is what $400k?, what Canadians would consider to be a middle income home is 900k Philippine Pesos which equates to about $24,000 Can.

If a Canadian youth had the same opportunity, they would be earning $182 an hour at McDonald's. In a way I guess they do.....provided they leave Canada.

#523 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 03:12 PM

McDonald Managers dont pay for or put their employees in a group home.

they need to find a place to rent just like anyone else.

TFWs pay about $5000 to come here to work

Most stay here after their 2 year work visa is up and most apply for PR status at end of 2 years or they renew/extend visa.

While working they head down to make their monthly payments on their $5000 loan to come here.

Dont for 1 moment think they are getting rich and running home to PH to buy a home.

After their 2 years are finished at 1 continuous employer they can then have their familys come here at their own expense 

You seem to think they come here and fill up a sack of money from Tims or McDonalds and head on home to buy property...

thats is your answer to HOW SO

What you posted is a fallacy 

#524 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:18 PM

You seem to think they come here and fill up a sack of money from Tims or McDonalds and head on home to buy property...

thats is your answer to HOW SO

What you posted is a fallacy 

http://www.vancouver...0290/story.html

The amount of money that leaves Canada in remittances is staggering. At $24 billion a year in 2012, according to the World Bank, the sum is equivalent to the annual budgets of 12 Universities of British Columbia. Or enough to buy 70 of Vancouver’s tallest building, the Shangri-La tower. The top countries receiving Canadian remittances are middle-income nations — China (which receives $3.9 billion), India ($3.5 billion) and the Philippines ($2 billion). Remittances also often go to poor countries.

Many who send home remittances are “circular migrants” who move back and forth between their high-income host country and generally low-income homeland. The World Bank says these temporary foreign workers (whose numbers have tripled in Canada, to more than 400,000, under the Conservative government) are responsible for two-thirds of all remittances.

Now things have been corrected now that many of the loopholes are closed for TFW, but it's still an issue.  

#525 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:28 PM

My understanding was that confiscating remittances was one way trump could fund the wall with Mexican funds.

#526 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 11:02 PM

My understanding was that confiscating remittances was one way trump could fund the wall with Mexican funds.

So his companies can hire them, put the squeeze under threat of deportation, and then pimp their wages.  A true free market comrade.

#527 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:22 AM

I think before we worry about remittances to other countries, we really need to focus on the 40 billion in unpaid taxes that our own citizenry finds unnecessary.
  • HB likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#528 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:14 AM

Waffle fries. Get them while you can because the seasonal offering is available exclusively in Canada* and will only be available for a short time.

• 57WestHills likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#529 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

✪ ✪ COMING to Canada: McDonald's to launch home delivery, mobile ordering and table service at restaurants

Kiosks will become even more commonplace at restaurants around the world, allowing customers to order their meal and head straight to a table, where staff will deliver their food tableside.

A mobile order and pay service will also allow customers to bypass the front counter altogether and pick up their meal upon arrival.

#530 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,598 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

Guess they need to adapt in order to compete like everyone else; regardless everyone knows however that McD's is really a real estate company first and foremost and only secondarily a burger/fast food outfit.....

#531 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:30 PM

17424786_10158403047560427_7464451266090

Get ready Canada! Launching on grocery shelves this spring. #BigMacSauce

#532 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:33 PM

Mayonnaise "style" sauce, eh? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#533 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:33 PM

Now if they can only capture and bottle the essence of the french fries cooking, they'll really have something.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#534 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:37 PM

Mayonnaise "style" sauce, eh? 

From the folks who brought you cheese in a spray can.

ke-8-12-ce.jpg

#535 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:31 AM

^ Ah yes, "spreadable cheese".....although when I was a kid you had to squeeze it from a plastic sack.  I never acquired a taste for it (because I would never try it) but some in school would get in trouble for eating their white glue.   This is back in the day when frozen pizza contained "imitation cheese".

leeho-megalh-500x500.jpg

Anyways, back on topic.  I've gone to McDonalds twice in the past 6 months.  Has anyone noticed how long it takes to get your food if you use the automated teller?  The last time it turned into such a joke I ended up eating the wrong order (cold) because I had run out of time and had to get to my next meeting.  They couldn't get anything right except the drink (since I poured it).

• Nparker and jonny like this

#536 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:08 AM

I think white glue might be the main ingredient in a lot of McDonald's products. How else to explain their popularity with school-aged children?

• On the Level likes this

#537 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:36 AM

I always use the automated kiosk at McD's unless there is absolutely nobody in the line-up.  Never had an error.  It's quicker in almost all cases.

#538 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:42 PM

I always use the automated kiosk at McD's unless there is absolutely nobody in the line-up.  Never had an error.  It's quicker in almost all cases.

You don't even have to show the slip with your order number, so you can grab anything that's ready if you're fast.

#539 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 04:57 AM

McBarge coming to Victoria?

Staying in Vancouver.

The famous floating McBarge from Expo 86 has finally found a permanent home, as a deep-sea museum in Vancouver. 

The Deep Discovery Centre, which will celebrate the history of Pacific Ocean exploration and conservation, is under development by Howard Meakin, owner of the 57-metre-long barge, and Phil Nuytten, president of the Historical Diving Society of Canada and curator of the new centre.

“We completely gutted the barge,” said Meakin on Friday, adding it is now about 90 tonnes lighter and sits 15 centimetres higher in the water. The museum will be spread over 15,400 square feet, plus a 4,000-square-foot rooftop, and will feature submersibles, deep-sea artifacts and a movie theatre.

http://www.timescolo...uver-1.23064613

#540 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:45 PM

Following that foreign worker issue at the Pandora McDonald's, did it not become a corporate store?

Now that that child has been pricked by a needle at that location there were references in the media to the "owner" making a statement, or something like that. So it was re-sold by McDonald's Inc. to a franchisee?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users