2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#1341 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:21 PM

The Federation of Post-Secondary Educators of BC is sending out pamphlets asking for voters to "Close the book on the Harper Conservatives."

The colouring of the pamphlet is orange and green, indicating they are siding with those two parties and not the Liberals.

Good catch!

Attached Images

• img087.jpg
  • Harper.jpg

#1342 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:33 PM

I don't remember a by-election in 2012. Then again, I don't remember much after 10 minutes ago. Could you refresh my memory? Please and thank you.

Sure. Rankin won over Galloway (Green) by about 1,200 votes with a total of just over 15,000. In 2011 Denise Savoie (NDP) got about 15,000 more than the runner-up (Cons, I think), while Galloway got just over 7,000.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1343 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:47 PM

I don't really understand why there isn't more debate about Justin Trudeau's alarming lack of qualifications. The con's "just not ready" slamline was pretty forgettable. Lest we forget, this guy has done nothing noteworthy in his entire privileged trust-funded life. He doesn't even have a Masters degree. If we are ok to pick a leader based on who his father is, why don't we just go back to a monarchy. I am astonished this is not a bigger issue for voters.

#1344 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:27 PM

Mike K., on 17 Oct 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

Silent poll at http://vibrantvictor...-election-poll/

Let's get a sense of how VV's readers will vote in this election. At least with our own poll we know the user base it represents and the direction our readers are leaning.

Hey, my ridings not included.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1345 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:38 PM

SamCB, on 17 Oct 2015 - 6:47 PM, said:

I don't really understand why there isn't more debate about Justin Trudeau's alarming lack of qualifications. The con's "just not ready" slamline was pretty forgettable. Lest we forget, this guy has done nothing noteworthy in his entire privileged trust-funded life. He doesn't even have a Masters degree. If we are ok to pick a leader based on who his father is, why don't we just go back to a monarchy. I am astonished this is not a bigger issue for voters.

I was going through the qualifications of Alistair Macgregor the NDP candidate in my riding, attended college(graduation unknown), got a DUI, and worked as a gofor for a couple of years for Jean Crowder an NDP MP. Pass.

#1346 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:40 PM

57WestHills, on 17 Oct 2015 - 5:40 PM, said:

I'm in Langford Cowichan Whatever riding and am frustratingly still undecided... In a perfect situation I would probably vote Liberal but I'm under the impression they're non-players in my area. And my hate of the Conservatives is exceptionally strong; thus, I am debating NDP to get them out vs the Liberal platform with which I'm most in agreement with. Sigh.

The first Liberal candidate in the riding was the only one who showed up on our doorstep and explained her personal platform, the guy that took her place I don't know anything about.

#1347 RoadRunner

RoadRunner
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:45 PM

Here are a couple of articles that describe the position each party has with respect to the TFSA...

http://business.fina...ederal-election

http://business.fina...-give-you-pause

#1348 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 06:54 PM

I was going through the qualifications of Alistair Macgregor the NDP candidate in my riding, attended college(graduation unknown), got a DUI, and worked as a gofor for a couple of years for Jean Crowder an NDP MP. Pass.

Oh, it's just a little better than that.

http://alistairmacgregor.ndp.ca/about

Back to the Murray Rankin thing...I wouldn't vote for him but I wouldn't hold that court case against him either. If he was defending a serial killer he'd fight to make sure the prosecution brought forward a proper case regardless. It wouldn't mean he approved of the actions of a mass murderer, obviously. That's life as a lawyer.
  • tedward likes this

#1349 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:35 PM

I recall the CPC backing right down on questioning JT's résumé after he said, "I was a teacher. That's a real job."

Whatever one may think of this, it's prudent not to slag teachers if you want their votes.

#1350 sam

sam
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:33 PM

Back to the Murray Rankin thing...I wouldn't vote for him but I wouldn't hold that court case against him either. If he was defending a serial killer he'd fight to make sure the prosecution brought forward a proper case regardless. It wouldn't mean he approved of the actions of a mass murderer, obviously. That's life as a lawyer.

Rob, your comparsion is off on a few points. Rankin wasn't defending anybody and he wasn't in “court.” He appeared as a paid expert witness on behalf of a mining company that was suing the Canadian government through the provisions of NAFTA. NAFTA is completely separate from the Canadian judicial system.

Rankin was, in effect, on the plaintiff's side in a civil suit. How did he get there? Rankin was asked by the mining company---Bilcon---to represent its interests in the suit. If Rankin had been someone who, say, was opposed to the way in which NAFTA Investor-State Dispute Settlement tribunals work against a country's sovereign interests, he wouldn't have taken the job. Instead, he didn't seem to have any problem with that; in fact his responses to our reporter suggest he may have been unaware of how the tribunals work.

It was Rankin's personal choice to help Bilcon. That's the issue. He hasn't provided a satisfying answer as to why he did something that contributed to a decision that is going to cost Canada hundreds of millions and, as the dissenting member of the tribunal, Professor Donald McRae, noted, has resulted in “A remarkable step backwards in environmental protection.” Instead, Rankin has portrayed his involvement as something he was legally compelled to do.

This is an important part of Rankin's recent record as an elected official. Focus decided it was worthy of his constituents' considersation before an election. If it had been Elizabeth May, we would have done that story, too.

David Broadland

• AllseeingEye and Princess Chica like this

#1351 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 October 2015 - 11:14 PM

Silent poll at http://vibrantvictor...-election-poll/

Let's get a sense of how VV's readers will vote in this election. At least with our own poll we know the user base it represents and the direction our readers are leaning.

You totally messed up the riding names. I had to guess which is mine. You're completely missing a riding too.

#1352 Princess Chica

Princess Chica
  • 149 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:16 AM

Rob, your comparsion is off on a few points. Rankin wasn't defending anybody and he wasn't in “court.” He appeared as a paid expert witness on behalf of a mining company that was suing the Canadian government through the provisions of NAFTA. NAFTA is completely separate from the Canadian judicial system.

Rankin was, in effect, on the plaintiff's side in a civil suit. How did he get there? Rankin was asked by the mining company---Bilcon---to represent its interests in the suit. If Rankin had been someone who, say, was opposed to the way in which NAFTA Investor-State Dispute Settlement tribunals work against a country's sovereign interests, he wouldn't have taken the job. Instead, he didn't seem to have any problem with that; in fact his responses to our reporter suggest he may have been unaware of how the tribunals work.

It was Rankin's personal choice to help Bilcon. That's the issue. He hasn't provided a satisfying answer as to why he did something that contributed to a decision that is going to cost Canada hundreds of millions and, as the dissenting member of the tribunal, Professor Donald McRae, noted, has resulted in “A remarkable step backwards in environmental protection.” Instead, Rankin has portrayed his involvement as something he was legally compelled to do.

This is an important part of Rankin's recent record as an elected official. Focus decided it was worthy of his constituents' considersation before an election. If it had been Elizabeth May, we would have done that story, too.

David Broadland

http://thetyee.ca/Op...mmunity-Values/

....more confirmation that murray rankin is a traitor to CANADA from The Tyee

#1353 Princess Chica

Princess Chica
  • 149 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:19 AM

Oh, it's just a little better than that.

http://alistairmacgregor.ndp.ca/about

interesting that when you go to Jo-Ann Roberts web page you find events calendar and other info but when you go to rankins web page its just "type your name here"

#1354 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:21 AM

You totally messed up the riding names. I had to guess which is mine. You're completely missing a riding too.

Oh c'mon, I'm sure you can tell the difference between Saanich-GI and Esquimalt-JDF (that part I messed up with the JDF, oops). I've added Cowichan.

My goofs, thanks for pointing them out  :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1355 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:23 AM

David Broadland

A lot of his supporters maintain he was forced to be a witness because he's an expert. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Know it all.

#1356 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:06 AM

Definitely an interesting trend among regulars on VV in the poll. In years past I would have expected far more support for the NDP, but this year the Greens are leading in the Victoria riding.

Know it all.

#1357 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:21 AM

My prediction:

Prime Minister: Harper with an ever so slight majority

Victoria: Green

Saanich-GI: Green

Esquimalt-Sooke: NDP

Cowichan-Langford: NDP

Know it all.

#1358 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:25 AM

same thing happened to may last election

Kane, who arrived on the scene just minutes after the crash, was trying to find the silver lining in a situation that could set back his campaign: “This is symbolic of the Liberal breakthrough we are having here,” he said.

The campaign planned to move to another location, Kane said, adding it couldn’t have come at a worse time as there’s just days to go before Monday’s vote.

“It costs us half a day or more, and one of the issues is we have 11 phone lines in that office, so we won’t really be able to ramp up in a cohesive way,” he said, noting they will be using cellphones and what landlines they can accommodate at the other location.

“It is a bit of a setback.”

http://www.timescolo...h.MXOb9Wrp.dpuf

#1359 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:31 AM

My Prediction Nationally

Green                 1 Seat

Independant       1 Seat

Conservative      77 Seats

NDP                    122 Seats

Liberal                137 Seats

• Matt R. likes this

#1360 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:32 AM

Victoria                            orange

Saanich                           Green

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users