2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#1381 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:21 PM

I dunno, if anything the support for the Greens in Victoria has only intensified while Rankin is now facing serious criticism over his Bilcon affair. Anyone who isn't taken aback by Rankin's showing with Bilcon is playing favourites.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1382 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:34 PM

Don't underestimate the NDP machine though, Mike.  They are pretty good at getting their vote out.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1383 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:35 PM

Fair enough.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1384 sam

sam
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:41 PM

I'm not really clear on the Rankin controversy, and I'm by no means a supporter of his. If Canada is to have trade and industry then companies need to be treated fairly and the nationality of the company has nothing to do with it. Rankin need not approve of the particular environmental law or the particular plans of a company to testify that they were not treated fairly by the process. The guy was doing his job as a lawyer and I don't think that fact disqualifies him or makes him disloyal to Canada in any way shape or form.

Say the Joint Review Panel for Kinder Morgan's proposed TransMountain pipeline decides that the project can't proceed. Kinder Morgan could then sue Canada through the ISDS tribunal process set out in NAFTA. What would be the basis for such a suit? Kinder Morgan would hire lawyers to comb through the EA process and find the weakest points in the process. Kinder Morgan's lawyers would then approach expert witnesses with a shopping list of opinions and bags of money. Any particular expert witness they approached would then have to make a personal decision on whether to contribute their expertise to Kinder Morgan's suit or not. Let's say the Dogwood Initiative's Will Horter (who is a lawyer) decided to take the money.

If, after taking the money, Will Horter ran for political office and emphasized his past record as a protector of the environment and his opposition to tankers on the coast, it's likely his role in the NAFTA suit would be challenged during the election.

In the Bilcon/Rankin case, to understand the exact nature of the opinion Rankin provided, you need to read his 75-page expert opinion. You also need to read Donald McRae's dissenting opinion about Rankin's opinion. You can find these at www.italwa.com/cases/1588.

A second summary of the Rankin/Bilcon case was posted on thetyee.ca yesterday in an article by Andrew Nikiforuk. Interestingly, the article was labelled “Opinion” by The Tyee, even though the author, Andrew Nikiforuk, is a well-know journalist.

David Broadland

#1385 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:44 PM

I dunno, if anything the support for the Greens in Victoria has only intensified while Rankin is now facing serious criticism over his Bilcon affair. Anyone who isn't taken aback by Rankin's showing with Bilcon is playing favourites.

I could definitely be wrong. Victoria's the closest race in the city for sure. But the NDP's GOTV apparatus in Victoria is unbelievable (as VHF already said).

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#1386 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:16 PM

IMG_20151017_124520.jpg

#1387 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 03:48 PM

I've been moved from my work assignment of the somewhat sedate poll division of Margaret Jenkins, to the hustle and bustle of inner-city Central Middle School.

Can't wait!  Less than 14 hours until go time!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1388 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 04:11 PM

Ill be at Lakewood in Langford it is the largest Polling Place in all of Cowichan Malahat Langford with 11 Polls It cover much of Bear Mountain Subdivision and up to and including Malahat area homes near the Petro Can and Aspen Road

Cowichan Malahat Langford has a total of 38 Voting Venues and that includes 201 Polls

#1389 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 04:24 PM

I've been moved from my work assignment of the somewhat sedate poll division of Margaret Jenkins, to the hustle and bustle of inner-city Central Middle School...

How many polls at Central VHF?

#1390 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 04:24 PM

Why illegal?  The front page of newspapers has been for sale for months, if not years now.

Mind you, rarely in the trade dress of Elections Canada...

#1391 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 04:36 PM

How many polls at Central VHF?

I don't know.  The poll supervisor I talked to tonight said Margaret Jenkins only had 6, so it sounds like Central has many more.  It'll be a bit more chaotic with a more transient population, more voter's list changes etc.  I'll rule with my traditional iron fist, and use all the executive powers I've been issued.

j/k, like HB says, it's easy if you just follow the steps set out for us.

• Nparker likes this

#1392 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 04:43 PM

A supporting says the following on Rankin's Facebook page:

I will hold the Greens directly responsible if Rankin is unseated. Their divisive misleading smear tactics here on the West Coast and particularly on Vancouver Island have revealed them to be not the ethical choice that they purport to be, and certainly not those that they lead their party faithful into thinking they are.

Crazy.

Know it all.

#1393 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 04:44 PM

I don't know.  The poll supervisor I talked to tonight said Margaret Jenkins only had 6, so it sounds like Central has many more.  It'll be a bit more chaotic with a more transient population, more voter's list changes etc.  I'll rule with my traditional iron fist, and use all the executive powers I've been issued.

j/k, like HB says, it's easy if you just follow the steps set out for us.

To confirm, anyone can vote anywhere in their riding, correct?

Know it all.

#1394 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:01 PM

no you can Only vote in your Polling division . It is the number on your card and it matches the number on the box.

#1395 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:03 PM

To confirm, anyone can vote anywhere in their riding, correct?

No.  You have to vote at the poll (the actual ballot box) that's assigned to your address of residence.  If you are unclear, just go to any old polling place in your riding.  If they are on their game, they will send you then to the right place.

It's not rocket science.

#1396 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:04 PM

A supporting says the following on Rankin's Facebook page:

Crazy.

Partisan, surely, but not crazy. This person has a point. The Greens using a blanket poll to try to convince people that they were competitive everywhere on the island was very misleading, as was saying there was no chance for the Conservatives to win any island ridings when they're definitely competitive in at least three of them.

Certainly the Greens will do better than 2011, but they could have fished for votes without trying to manipulate numbers to suit their agenda. I only bring those two points up because the party also tries to convince people they're doing politics differently.

no you can Only vote in your Polling division . It is the number on your card and it matches the number on the box.

Really? Unless that's a new rule from the Fair Elections Act, I was under the impression you could vote anywhere in your riding as long as you swore some sort of oath, similar to advance voting where you do that to attest you are only voting once.

On the other hand it's probably splitting hairs if you're in an urban riding, since it shouldn't be that difficult to vote at your assigned voting place instead of just anywhere.

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#1397 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:09 PM

There are only 2 exceptions.

the First is if a candidate wants to do a photo op while voting he or she can make advance Notice to the Returning officer and the RO will give a form to the person to take to the polling location to Vote.

The other is in extreme cases where a person can not get to their polling place. Again they need to have a signed from from the returning officer

In You may be thinking of PROVINCIAL ELECTIONS they do things different

#1398 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:11 PM

Really? Unless that's a new rule from the Fair Elections Act, I was under the impression you could vote anywhere in your riding as long as you swore some sort of oath, similar to advance voting where you do that to attest you are only voting once.

We need to know where you live.  Either prove it with documentation (very generous rules), or get someone else that lives very near you (in the same home, or same street etc.) to swear you in (they will need clear ID).

You have to vote at the poll (actual voting ballot box) that's assigned for your address.

Trust me, there will be screw-ups on voting day, I may or may not feel a certain way about eligibility (and it's solely my call, nobody can overrule me), but in the end it gets done well.

#1399 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:17 PM

In You may be thinking of PROVINCIAL ELECTIONS they do things different

Or municipal, where technically you can vote at every polling place and it's not checked until after.

#1400 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:17 PM

We need to know where you live.  Either prove it with documentation (very generous rules), or get someone else that lives very near you (in the same home, or same street etc.) to swear you in (they will need clear ID).

The person attesting needs to be voting in the same Poll Box not just the same street

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users