#1441 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:36 AM

Yes.

DB

Thanks, David.

So there we have it. Which makes Rankin's decision to get involved and find a loophole for Bilcon even that more questionable in light of Rankin's and Mulcair's statements on the Conservative's position on environmental issues.

• Princess Chica likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1442 sam

sam
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:47 AM

The Conservative government sided with the decision to kill Bilcon's proposal, did they not? I'm genuinely curious.

Conservatives were elected in January 2006. The White Pines Quarry proposal was rejected in October 2007. So it was a Conservative government that rejected Bilcon's proposal at the federal level.

The Nova Scotia government of the day was also Conservative.

Both these governments were minority governments at the time.

David Broadland

Edited by sam, 19 October 2015 - 09:51 AM.

#1443 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:54 AM

The Conservative government sided with the decision to kill Bilcon's proposal, did they not? I'm genuinely curious.

And they got whacked for it in the NAFTA ruling.   Just saying, playing devils advocate here, these cases are an inevitable outcome of free trade agreements where states lose the power to protect their interests.  In this case the tribunal ruled the objection to the mine was not sufficiently strong (the objection being based on "core community values" and not a concrete environmental harm).  

Obviously I myself am not in favour of these kinds of rulings, just wondering why there is this sudden abandonment of free trade once it comes back to bite us (by the way, Canadian companies are suing states all around the world in cases just like this).

#1444 Princess Chica

Princess Chica
  • 149 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:54 AM

Where else on Vancouver Island could we see a Green take the seat?

Ya ...thats what ive been talkin aboot :)   Vote Jo-Ann Roberts for a Green voice in Victoria

#1445 Princess Chica

Princess Chica
  • 149 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:57 AM

Typing from the Jo-Ann Roberts election HQ .....on the phones and doing data entry....lots of great energy here....Jo-Ann just walked in ...lots of cheers ;)

#1446 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:04 AM

Where else on Vancouver Island could we see a Green take the seat?

Assuming Victoria is close and ESS is in play.
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#1447 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:07 AM

And they got whacked for it in the NAFTA ruling.   Just saying, playing devils advocate here, these cases are an inevitable outcome of free trade agreements where states lose the power to protect their interests.  In this case the tribunal ruled the objection to the mine was not sufficiently strong (the objection being based on "core community values" and not a concrete environmental harm).  

Obviously I myself am not in favour of these kinds of rulings, just wondering why there is this sudden abandonment of free trade once it comes back to bite us (by the way, Canadian companies are suing states all around the world in cases just like this).

I would have no problem with this if every expert who reviewed the case agreed with Rankin's findings. But they don't, and that's why this whole situation just plain stinks.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1448 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:08 AM

Just curious: Is there any rule in Canada preventing a non Canadian born Prime Minister (like in the US, a president must be born American)?

IE. Elizabeth May was born American.

Regarding a possible 3rd Green win, I'd have thought Claire Martin would do better than she has been polling.

#1449 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:09 AM

Elections sign are exempt

THE CORPORATION OF THE DISTRICT OF OAK BAY

BYLAW NO. 3946
(**amended by Bylaws No. 4111, 4159 and 4181)
A Bylaw to regulate signs

Political Signs
The regulations of this Bylaw shall not prohibit political signs provided such signs:
(1) shall not be erected more than 30 days prior to election day;
(2) are removed within 7 days following election day; and
(3) shall not be erected on public property or where they could interfere with

^That I have seen all other parties are complying with this bylaw.

Council instructed the bylaw department to ignore the "shall not be erected more than 30 days prior to election day" due to the extended campaign this year but still generally enforces the rest of the bylaw.

Edited by todd, 19 October 2015 - 10:20 AM.

#1450 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:12 AM

In case anyone hasn't seen it (contains some naughty words)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V5ckcTSYu8

Edited by pherthyl, 19 October 2015 - 10:14 AM.

• Gary H likes this

#1451 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:18 AM

The NDP's Andrew Thompson just said on CPAC that the NDP is willing to work with both parties if a minority happens and dodged a question on supporting Harper.   

More here.

The NDP would be ready to work with the Conservatives in a minority government to make Parliament work, star NDP candidate and frequent spokesperson Andrew Thomson suggested on television Monday.[...]

Edited by gumgum, 19 October 2015 - 10:29 AM.

#1452 sam

sam
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:29 AM

In this case the tribunal ruled the objection to the mine was not sufficiently strong (the objection being based on "core community values" and not a concrete environmental harm).  

The Joint Panel Review that did the Environmental Assessment found the project would have "significant adverse environmental effects that the project would cause to the physical, biological and human environment on Digby Neck and in the Bay of Fundy, including on the 'core community values' of the affected communities."

That's from page 19 of Canada's Statement of Defence: http://www.italaw.co...talaw1145_0.pdf

Rankin's criticism of the EA process, rejected by other expert witnesses and the dissenting tribunal panel member Donald McRae, focussed on the way in which "core community values" had been included in the EA process without properly notifying Bilcon that they would be incorporated.

David Broadland

Edited by sam, 19 October 2015 - 10:31 AM.

#1453 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:34 AM

Guy in front of me at the polling station is snapping away with his camera phone. Once he leaves, I ask if photos are permitted, Elections Canada staff have no idea.

Who hires these people?

If you are worried some one might snap a picture of you at a polling station, you could put a paper bag over your head and you would still be allowed to vote.( I'm not making this up! )

On the Elections Canada website, it currently says if an elector wearing a face covering arrives to vote, the deputy returning officer will ask the elector to show their face.

"If the elector agrees to remove their face covering, the election official will follow regular voting procedures," the website says.

"If the elector does not wish to remove their face covering, the deputy returning officer will advise the elector that they must provide two pieces of authorized identification, one proving their identity and the other proving their identity and address, and then take an oath attesting to their eligibility to vote."

If that is done, regular voting procedures will follow.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...anada-1.2975181

#1454 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:35 AM

The Joint Panel Review that did the Environmental Assessment found the project would have "significant adverse environmental effects that the project would cause to the physical, biological and human environment on Digby Neck and in the Bay of Fundy, including on the 'core community values' of the affected communities."

That's from page 19 of Canada's Statement of Defence: http://www.italaw.co...talaw1145_0.pdf

Rankin's criticism of the EA process, rejected by other expert witnesses and the dissenting tribunal panel member Donald McRae, focussed on the way in which "core community values" had been included in the EA process without properly notifying Bilcon that they would be incorporated.

David Broadland

And yet the ruling was made 2 to 1.   So what's the next step here as far as damages or appeals go?

#1455 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

Just curious: Is there any rule in Canada preventing a non Canadian born Prime Minister (like in the US, a president must be born American)?

IE. Elizabeth May was born American.

Regarding a possible 3rd Green win, I'd have thought Claire Martin would do better than she has been polling.

No restrictions here. I believe you just need to be a citizen.

#1456 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:46 AM

If you are worried some one might snap a picture of you at a polling station, you could put a paper bag over your head and you would still be allowed to vote.( I'm not making this up! )[/url]

My point is polling stations should be free from photography. This is a sacrosanct component of a democratic election. If EC staff don't know that then their training process is flawed.

Know it all.

#1457 sam

sam
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:55 AM

And yet the ruling was made 2 to 1.   So what's the next step here as far as damages or appeals go?

The process to determine damages will take place in 2016. I have no idea how long such a process wouldl take.

DB

#1458 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:11 AM

17 of 36  responders to VV's member-only poll say they are supporting the Green Party in this election. Interesting.

• todd likes this

Know it all.

#1459 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:16 AM

http://www.ew.com/ar...-stephen-harper

#1460 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for spreading misinformation, John Oliver.

The good news, for Oliver: he need not fear being sent to the slammer. The law he made fun of is actually not all that different from the U.S. ban on foreign political donations, although that country’s politics has hundreds of millions of harder-to-track dollars sloshing around in political-action committees.

Canadian elections authorities explained Monday that there’s no law against foreigners expressing an opinion. They said the legal provision in question — section 331 of the Canada Elections Act — has been on the books since the 1920s and it doesn’t cover people stating their view.

“The expression of personal political views by Canadians or non-Canadians as to which parties or candidates they support is not an offence under the Act,” said Elections Canada spokesman John Enright.

“This also applies to Mr. Oliver.”

http://www.thestar.c...ast-harper.html

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users