2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#2401 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:56 AM

So how long before the left labels him a white supremacist, a bigot, a racist and a nazi for daring to speak his mind?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2402 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:59 AM

Conservative leadership candidate Kevin O'Leary took time off from the campaign trail this week to pitch his "exclusive" wines on an American home shopping channel, prompting accusations from at least one rival that he's simply not a serious contender.

O'Leary was featured on an hour-long "today special value" segment of QVC, where he extolled the virtues of his reserve wines, selling some 7,500 cases of red, white and rosé blended wines to U.S. shoppers, while sipping the product alongside the show's two co-hosts.

"I know why they call you Mr. Wonderful now, because you make some wonderful wine," said Mike, a caller to the program. "Keep bringing us the delicious wines, Kevin, we enjoy you on QVC and we enjoy you on Shark Tank," said another caller, Nancy from California. QVC segments are taped from the company's studios in West Chester, Penn.

"Blending wine is half art, half science, and I'm getting better all the time. Whatever I bring forward, I put my name on it, it's going to be amazing, I have your back," O'Leary said while hawking his wares.

O'Leary writes on his website that he created O'Leary Fine Wines "to help give Americans access to amazing wine at an amazing price." ​A three-bottle set of O'Leary's wine was sold by QVC for $43 U.S. with free shipping and handling.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...pping-1.3988057

#2403 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:18 AM

So how long before the left labels him a white supremacist, a bigot, a racist and a nazi for daring to speak his mind?

i dunno, he pretty much tows the liberal party line on immigration. Some people who get their news exclusively from huffington post might think hes a racist but I think Leitch gets that label (undeserved) far more than oleary. he really isnt much like Trump. not enough like Trump as far as I'm concerned. As it stands I'm still leaning Bernier but I'm not convinced he can win.

#2404 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:50 PM

O'Leary appealed for $25,000 in 24 hours the other day, got more of course.

On behalf of Team O'Leary and Brad, THANK YOU! We set out to raise $25K yesterday in honour of Brad's birthday and 382 of you helped us reach $39,304 instead. With your support we will win the Conservative Leadership race and beat Justin Trudeau in 2019!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2405 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:37 PM

Conservative leadership candidate Kevin O'Leary took time off from the campaign trail this week to pitch his "exclusive" wines on an American home shopping channel, prompting accusations from at least one rival that he's simply not a serious contender.

Well I guess it is pretty easy to run a campaign when you are getting a MP's salary and perks and don't have to produce anything.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2406 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:06 PM

^ My thoughts too.

None of the MPs are stepping down from their day job to be more "serious" about their campaigns.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2407 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

i dunno, he pretty much tows the liberal party line on immigration. Some people who get their news exclusively from huffington post might think hes a racist but I think Leitch gets that label (undeserved) far more than oleary. he really isnt much like Trump. not enough like Trump as far as I'm concerned. As it stands I'm still leaning Bernier but I'm not convinced he can win.

O'Leary is vulnerable on his business track record and the fact that he lives in Boston. I think that name recognition and the lack of depth in the party may help him with the Conservative race but he will struggle once the LIberal machine takes over.

Trudeau is already starting with the narrative that the economy and workers are suffering because of business people like O'Leary and the corporate elite. His argument is that they are all greedy and keep money to themselves instead of sharing it with workers and paying their fair share of taxes. Not a bad plan if you think about it. Trump was successful arguing the opposite of that so you might as well get out ahead of the message with your own.

#2408 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:46 PM

^Ahh, The "Bernie" philosophy. Didn't work out too good for him.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2409 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:32 PM

^Ahh, The "Bernie" philosophy. Didn't work out too good for him.

Bernie doesn't have nice hair :-) If it had been a straight up contest between Trump and Sanders he likely would have won

Edited by spanky123, 19 February 2017 - 08:33 PM.

#2410 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:07 PM

Kevin O'Leary has set up an online membership tool to let his supporters easily urge others to join the party.  Smart.

#2411 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 February 2017 - 08:57 PM

The CPC leadership race is about one thing and only one thing - signing up members.   Whoever signs up the most will win.   Nothing that anyone says or does matters in relation to winning the race.   As best as I can tell O'Leary and Bernier are doing the best by far in signing up members

#2412 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:55 PM

^ I signed myself and my wife up today, on the CPC website. It doesn't ask anywhere who you support or who encouraged you to sign up. So I don't know if that is true. A lot of people could be signing up because of O'Leary - not to vote for him, but to vote against him (like me!).

#2413 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:06 PM

^ I signed myself and my wife up today, on the CPC website. It doesn't ask anywhere who you support or who encouraged you to sign up. So I don't know if that is true. A lot of people could be signing up because of O'Leary - not to vote for him, but to vote against him (like me!).

either way the party gets your 15 bucks
  • http likes this

#2414 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:38 AM

I suppose that would depend on if what he says is, you know, racist nazi white supremacist stuff.

• http likes this

#2415 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:40 AM

The trouble is, if you and the others split your vote among the other 13 or 14 candidates.  O'Leary gets 50,000 to sign up.  20,000 vote for him, and 2,500 each vote for each of the others.  He still gets almost 10x the votes of the others.

#2416 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 07:43 AM

This is what the party wants, what any party wants. It’s what Justin Trudeau and his team pulled off in between his leadership bid in 2013 and his massive 2015 electoral victory.

When O’Leary arrived, the crowd erupted in cheers, people thronged towards him, and before he could get 10 feet into the place, he was surrounded by selfie seekers.

The other candidates don’t generate anywhere near this type of hype. They have to work the room. But with O’Leary, the room works him.

http://www.torontosu...-factor-is-real

#2417 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:42 AM

I suppose that would depend on if what he says is, you know, racist nazi white supremacist stuff.

thats false. the left labels anyone they can't control with these attacks. they rarely require actual evidence

#2418 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:52 AM

What we have here is a three, maybe four person race.

2017-02-24 08_48_58-Scheer climbs, top three slide in latest Mainstreet Tory leadership poll.png

https://ipolitics.ca...eadership-poll/

I think Leitch would be an absolute disaster and relegate us to second party status for many years.

#2419 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 08:54 AM

thats false. the left labels anyone they can't control with these attacks. they rarely require actual evidence

It's pretty simple really.

Take two figures that the left doesn't like. George W Bush and Donald J Trump. The former didn't constantly spout borderline racist comments. The latter does. GWB was rarely attacked as a racist. DJT's racism is widely discussed.

• http likes this

#2420 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:06 AM

Conservative leadership candidate Kevin O’Leary may have more experience in international business than other candidates — but many party members themselves see that as a liability rather than an asset, according to an iPolitics CPC Leadership Tracker poll powered by Mainstreet Research.

From February 13 to 17, Mainstreet reached 1,895 Conservative party members and found — with a margin of error of +/- 2.24 per cent, 19 times out of 20 — that among Conservative supporters, 44.05 per cent of undecided voters and 61.98 per cent of decided voters view O’Leary’s international business experience as a liability.

Meanwhile, 27.02 per cent of undecided voters and 38.02 per cent of decided voters view O’Leary’s international business experience as an asset.

Conservative strategist and vice-chair of Summa Strategies Tim Powers said members likely interpreted the question as being about how “legitimate” O’Leary’s international business is, rather than whether that experience is an asset.

“It’s a question of credibility rather than liability,” said Powers.

Another possibility is that O’Leary’s business dealings further connect him to his time in the United States — a point of vulnerability for a candidate who routinely gets accused of running his campaign from the wrong side of the border. Rival candidate Lisa Raitt recently sent a fundraising email asking supporters if they remember the 2011 election:

“Do you remember the Liberal Party getting firmly rejected by Canadians, in part because of statements from their leader attacking Canada and Canadians?” Raitt wrote, citing a devastating Conservative media campaign slogan that punctured Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff’s hopes of trading U.S. academia for Canadian politics.

“Remember ‘Just Visiting’? Remember ‘He didn’t come back for you?'” Raitt added.

http://ipolitics.ca/...as-a-liability/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users