Photo

2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#2481 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:34 AM

Deal-maker O'Leary out.  Do not count out a deal with him and Bernier, off the record.

http://www.ctvnews.c...ource-1.3386019

Has already endorsed Bernier. Must have run the numbers and figured that he won't win the race.

#2482 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:37 AM

Has already endorsed Bernier. Must have run the numbers and figured that he won't win the race.

It's like when you are the last two in a reverse draw, deals will be made.  I'm sure it has been.  Smart move by both camps.  This race is over.  And my #2 guy is in.  I'm happy.  

• rjag likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2483 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:39 AM

It's like when you are the last two in a reverse draw, deals will be made.  I'm sure it has been.  Smart move by both camps.  This race is over.  And my #2 guy is in.  I'm happy.  

I don't think that O'Leary has any intention of involving himself further with politics so I don't see any deals per sey. Losing would be very bad for the O'Leary brand and my bet is that that was the only consideration.

#2484 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

I don't think that O'Leary has any intention of involving himself further with politics so I don't see any deals per sey. 

Oh, he has no use for politics.  But a few chair/commission appointments, and an invite to the circle of, and the ear of the PM here and there work just fine, thanks.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2485 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

Now O'Leary can focus on what he does best, what he's really talented at. Which is...um. There must be something he excels at. Well, there's talking on TV. He doesn't stutter or have a weak voice. And guitar, I suppose. He's a decent guitar player. I guess that's about it.

• Hotel Mike and shoeflack like this

#2486 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:54 AM

When was the last time the Conservative party had a true francophone leader?  This will be very interesting.

• DavidSchell likes this

#2487 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:55 AM

Now O'Leary can focus on what he does best, what he's really talented at. Which is...um. There must be something he excels at. Well, there's talking on TV. He doesn't stutter or have a weak voice. And guitar, I suppose. He's a decent guitar player. I guess that's about it.

He built up a software company to the point where he sold it to Mattel for $4B.  Then later Mattel discovered it was only worth $195M.

• Matt R. likes this

#2488 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:58 AM

When was the last time the Conservative party had a true francophone leader?  This will be very interesting.

The current party never.

The PCs that came before had Jean Charest 1993-1998. That didn't go very well, however circumstances are different this time.

Before that - never.

#2489 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:01 AM

And Mattel ended up selling it off for like $20 million. Makes the Fast Ferries look like child's play!

Goitta give O'Leary some credit...it takes a lot of balls to do what he did. Had a massively indebted company that he sells for $4 billion, paying off all the debts in the process. Gets some stock as part of his contract to work for Mattel. Literally cashes out his Mattel stock within weeks of the takeover, and takes his multi-million dollar severance package when Mattel fires him after only six months.

The balls on that guy.

• VicHockeyFan and Matt R. like this

#2490 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:08 AM

Not just a Francophone, but a born and bred Quebecois!

#2491 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:15 AM

Not just a Francophone, but a born and bred Quebecois!

His inability to speak English well will be a plus in the rest of Canada!  We'll think it's cute.  Plus he's good-looking and single.

• jonny likes this

#2492 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:59 AM

Kevin O'Leary
Canada desperately needs a change in government. While Justin Trudeau basks in the glow of celebrity status and focuses on his next opportunity for a selfie, he is destroying the strong fiscal position that Prime Minister Harper left Canada in. If Trudeau isn't beaten in the next election, he will leave the next generation of Canadians, those thousands of Millennials I've been talking about, with a mountain of debt and high taxes. This cannot be allowed to happen.

The Conservative Party needs someone who has the best chance of beating Trudeau. Someone who will command the support of Canadians from every region of the country and who can build a consensus among all members of the Party.

I am proud that my team and I have been frontrunners in this 14-candidate race since the very launch of my campaign in mid-January. In particular, I am touched by the 35,335 people who purchased memberships to support our cause. This list includes a whole new generation of young Canadians, many of whom are new to the Conservative Party, and I’m hoping will be lifetime Members.

I am not a politician, so I never pushed a shopping list of promises. I've had only one, to achieve 3% economic growth in Canada. In order to do this, I said I would have to deliver the Conservative Party a majority mandate in 2019 so that we could reverse Trudeau’s irresponsible and destructive policies.

I have now spent four months on the campaign trail. My team has done extensive polling during this time, but more importantly I have spoken directly with thousands of Conservatives from across the country, and the concerns they are expressing are the same.

Here is what I know:

Maxime Bernier and I are statistically tied as front runners.
Because I am an outsider I have very weak 2nd ballot support.
I am extremely strong in the West but have not generated material support in Quebec.
Second ballot support is always a concern for any candidate and all you can do is live with that risk and see where the votes settle.

The Quebec data is a different kind of issue and a big problem for me. There are 78 seats in Quebec, and the Conservative Party currently holds only 12 of them. In other words, the Liberals politically own Quebec. Without growing the Conservative base in Quebec, beating Trudeau in 2019 would be a huge challenge. The Conservatives did it in 2011, but only with a perfect vote split and in a political environment much different than the one that exists today. This is obviously very disappointing for me. As someone who was born in Montreal, I had hoped I would do much better there.

Like the other candidates, I have worked like hell on this campaign and I want the DNA of my policies and objectives to survive into the general election. The candidate that best mirrors my policies is Maxime Bernier, and he has strong support in Quebec. He is perhaps the first Conservative in a long time that has a chance of winning over 40 seats there, which would materially improve our chances for a majority mandate.

So here is what I’m going to do; I’m withdrawing my candidacy from the Leadership Race and throwing my full support behind Max. I’m going to do everything I can to ensure he gets elected, and I’m going to ask my supporters to do the same. Together we will drive Justin Trudeau out of power in 2019, and we will work to get Canada’s economy growing at 3 percent.

This was not an easy decision for me to make but after much thought and deliberation, it is the right one for the Conservative party and the country. The campaign and travelling and meeting with Conservatives has been an experience of a lifetime, and I owe so much to my Team, and the thousands of volunteers and Members that have supported me. Together we will move forward to change Canada’s direction for the better in the election of 2019.

Sincerely,

Kevin O'Leary

Donate

Twitter Facebook
olearyforcanada.ca
O'Leary for Canada
PO Box 607, STN B
Ottawa, ON K1P 5P7
Canada

Add us to your address book
If you would like to unsubscribe from this list, click here.

For questions or comments, please contact us at: https://olearyforcanada.ca/en/contact/.

Please do not reply to this email.

Authorized by the financial agent for Kevin O'Leary.

#2493 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:25 PM

He excels at getting fired from jobs. That is how he made his 'fortune' - on golden parachutes!

#2494 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:10 PM

He built talked up a software company to the point where he sold it to Mattel for $4B.  Then later Mattel discovered it was only worth $195M.

There, fixed it for you..

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#2495 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:43 PM

For some reason lots of people are hoodwinked into believing businessmen have the political answers. They don't.
Trumpf is flailing.
Herbert Hoover? Uh-huh.
Paul Martin was a good Finance Minister, lousy PM.
G.W. Bush was a "businessman" who basically sold family connections. Bush poppa was actually a businessman.
Bullroney was a corporate lawyer.
FDR, JFK, Eisenhower, LBJ, Pearson, Trudeau pere, Clinton, Obama, Nixon, Diefenbaker, King? Nope.
Most of the above were lawyers, administrators or career pols.
Businessmen have one task- make shareholders happy.
Running a government is way more complex which is what Trumpf is finding out and what O'Loser decided to bail from (as if he had a chance).

Edited by johnk, 26 April 2017 - 04:44 PM.

• Janion Fan likes this

#2496 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:01 PM

For some reason lots of people are hoodwinked into believing businessmen have the political answers. They don't.
Trumpf is flailing.
Herbert Hoover? Uh-huh.
Paul Martin was a good Finance Minister, lousy PM.
G.W. Bush was a "businessman" who basically sold family connections. Bush poppa was actually a businessman.
Bullroney was a corporate lawyer.
FDR, JFK, Eisenhower, LBJ, Pearson, Trudeau pere, Clinton, Obama, Nixon, Diefenbaker, King? Nope.
Most of the above were lawyers, administrators or career pols.
Businessmen have one task- make shareholders happy.
Running a government is way more complex which is what Trumpf is finding out and what O'Loser decided to bail from (as if he had a chance).

what a terrific analysis, you must be a great thinker

#2497 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:04 PM

^ it's okay, you think it's okay for a businessman to take the GST they collect or the source deductions from a paycheck to buy themselves a boat, a car, or house because it's "good for the economy".
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2498 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:37 PM

Let's keep it civil, folks.  I liked Johnk's list.

• sdwright.vic and DavidSchell like this

#2499 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 07:58 PM

I want my money back!!

• rjag likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2500 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

I want my money back!!

Me too. I kick myself now for actually thinking that a person that did not speak French could be prime minister.

22% of Canadian citizens speak French. That means that 78% of Canadian are unqualified to be Prime Minister.

I thought that O'Leary wanted to break that glass ceiling. Now he says he can't.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)