Photo

2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#2541 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:24 AM

Americans meddling in foreign elections? That's impossible. Only Russia can meddle in American elections. Anything else is preposterous.

Certainly not impossible, but a new technique for sure! Normally the Americans just go the straight up stage coup/overthrow government/insert new leader route. I guess that route wouldn't fly here...have to be more "democratic" about it.

#2542 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

http://news.national...-report-alleges

Americans are rightly concerned about Russia hacking into U.S. government emails. Well, this appears to be much worse — foreign money, in many cases by very wealthy people — was donated and arguably changed the outcome of our Canadian election.

If this turns out to be true, I wonder how upset Canadians would be.

Imagine the outrage if it had been ExxonMobil financing the Conservatives.

#2543 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:49 AM

I'm not sure if "upset" is the word?

It's not like we're blind to the corruption inherent in the modern political campaign system (which is why we try to have all the limits and laws we do), nor that big-money international corporations will try to spend to influence policy, legislation and outcomes of elections (which is, again, why we've tried to limit their influence with laws and regulations).  I don't think any reasonable political watcher is going to be going "Oh gosh, I had no idea!"; a more likely response is going to be "wow, I wonder what kind of ROI they're hoping to get with that spend."

There is, however, a difference between these third-party corporations spending money and circumventing the rules, and a government directly supporting actions to ensure their compromised agent gets put into power in a foreign country.

#2544 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

http://news.national...-report-alleges

Americans are rightly concerned about Russia hacking into U.S. government emails. Well, this appears to be much worse — foreign money, in many cases by very wealthy people — was donated and arguably changed the outcome of our Canadian election.

If this turns out to be true, I wonder how upset Canadians would be.

if they had any connection to clinton or obama I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't see a problem. i notice they called it 'vote together', which sounds slightly familiar

07CLINTONPLANEweb1-facebookJumbo.jpg

Edited by amor de cosmos, 23 May 2017 - 03:24 PM.

#2545 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

:( Bad hair day in Ottawa:

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...-dies-1.4131692

Hair stylist Rinaldo, made famous by Mila Mulroney's bob, dead at 82

Over more than four decades cutting hair in downtown Ottawa, he cut the hair of MPs, senators, judges and celebrities. Prime ministers including Stephen Harper, Brian Mulroney and Pierre Trudeau all reportedly sat in his chair, as did many of their wives. ......................

.............. Rinaldo’s salon was once voted the best in Canada, and his work was known around the world. His famous clients included Sophia Loren; Sarah, the Duchess of York; Queen Noor of Jordan and even former British prime minister Margaret Thatcher, whose signature bouffant was softened by his touch. ..............

........ http://www.citynews....bob-dead-at-82/

"he always had fresh cut flowers, and never raised his rate for me"

#2546 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:12 PM

My fellow conservatives will likely find this an interesting read.  I did. Mike Coates was O'Leary's campaign manager.

Mike Coates: Did Kevin know what he was getting into? Inside O’Leary’s strange Conservative candidacy

http://news.national...ative-candidacy

The Conservative leader nomination is tomorrow, BTW.  I have to admit, I'm a bit excited about Mad Max! 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2547 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

Bernier, O’Toole, Chong, Scheer and Rait were all very good at the convention tonight. I thought O'Toole and Rait had the best speeches.

Don't see anyone upsetting Bernier though.

#2548 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:21 PM

Bernier, O’Toole, Chong, Scheer and Rait were all very good at the convention tonight. I thought O'Toole and Rait had the best speeches.

Don't see anyone upsetting Bernier though.

Ya, it's all over anyway, 97% of the votes are in by mail already.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2549 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:22 PM

round 1 results just came in live. bernier in the lead, its basically now a 2 way race between him and scheer.
pretty funny how even after dropping out oleary came in 11th.
looks like bernier came in 1st in the Victoria riding with 30%. Chong 2nd with 25%.

#2550 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:30 PM

Closer than I thought.

It's a bit odd how they drag this out.  The computer could just tell them right away.  Or can some floor members vote after each result round?

#2551 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:10 PM

It's a bit odd how they drag this out.  The computer could just tell them right away.  Or can some floor members vote after each result round?

EDIT:  No, Peter Mansbridge tells me all voting ended 4 hours ago.

10th ballot, Bernier still leading.

#2552 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:18 PM

who the #$&* is Andrew Scheer?

• VicHockeyFan and AllseeingEye like this

#2553 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

well that was dissapointing. Canadian politics just got boring again.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#2554 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

Ya for sure.

Scheer is no slouch. But he's no Libertarian either.

#2555 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:21 PM

http://www.msn.com/e...n_enabled:false

A shocker, I think. Like VHF said Scheer is no slouch. But if the conservatives wanted the best man/woman to win the next federal election, Bernier was the choice (since Ambrose was not running).

It was close!!?  Disagree RFS, it will be interesting.

#2556 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:34 PM

I voted for Scheer. Excellent choice IMO.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#2557 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:36 PM

who the #$&* is Andrew Scheer?

No idea, lol. Asked myself the same question. Ah well back to the Stanley Cup playoffs.....

• rjag likes this

#2558 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:38 PM

Well he was speaker of the house for 6 years.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2559 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:38 AM

cbc is frantically trying to draft caroline for some reason

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...itics-1.4134505

#2560 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

I voted for Scheer. Excellent choice IMO.

I have to admit to not really following the 'race' at all, and further, to leaning towards Chong. However, CBC is describing Scheer as a 'social conservative' - which, I think, is a really poor direction for the CPC.  Guns, God, and Gay marriage just don't have the attraction for increasing numbers of people as they once did... 

ETA: Bring back the 'red tories' of yore, and they'll increase their attraction to a much wider subset of the population.

Edited by North Shore, 28 May 2017 - 01:33 PM.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users