Victoria

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

Andrew J. Reeve is running for councillor in Victoria. Reeve is the President of the Victoria Federal Liberal Association and a Senior Fellow of the Canadian Jewish Political Affairs Committee.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AndrewJReeve

• AndrewReeve likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for setting up a thread for me. I'll include some more biographical information below. 

Andrew J. Reeve was born and raised in Victoria, with roots in several of the Capital Region municipalities. Despite a history of community service and involvement in Victoria, Saanich, and Esquimalt, it was not until 2011 when his passion for positive and progressive change merged with his interest in politics. That year, his work with Statistics Canada gave him the unique opportunity to interact with countless communities and individuals in Greater Victoria. It became clear to him that Victoria, a proud and world-class capital city, was beginning to lag behind and that there was a desire for change. This inspired Andrew to get involved with several advocacy and political organizations.

In 2013, Reeve became a Senior Fellow at CJPAC, the Canadian Jewish Political Affairs Committee, and served as a political pundit on CBC Radio's Victoria-based program, All Points West. That year, he also co-founded Vancouver Island Youth Civic Engagement (VIYCE) a non-partisan organization that aims to foster interest and participation in politics and elections amongst young people.

Today, he serves on the executive board of Amalgamation Yes and is a proud member of Open Victoria, striving to promote transparency and accountability at the municipal level.

Reeve is the President of the Federal Liberals in Victoria, having been unanimously elected to the position in February of 2014, making him the second youngest Liberal riding President in the country. On top of that, he is the Council Secretary of the British Columbia Federal Liberal Council.

He holds a Bachelor's Degree in Political Science and History from the University of Victoria.

Aside from politics and the community, Reeve is an avid writer, Canucks fan, movie-buff, and a life-long skier.

For more information visit Andrew J. Reeve on LinkedIn.

My priorities can be found on my website here.

If anyone has any questions or comments, feel free to tweet me or email me at contact@andrewjreeve.ca 

Edited by AndrewReeve, 21 August 2014 - 12:28 PM.

Andrew J. Reeve
andrewjreeve.ca | @andrewjreeve 

#3 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:44 PM

From the TC Article: http://www.timescolo...toria-1.1350396

The cost to park on the street in downtown Victoria goes up Monday and city parkade rates will be slashed as the city’s plan to drive more motorists to use parkades kicks into gear.

“What we’re trying to do is have people utilize the parkades, make it easier and more convenient for them and ultimately even cheaper for short-term parking,”

The City of Victoria is one of the few cities in all of Canada that's in the Parkade business... and we're awful at it. A great many people I know, especially young women, absolutely refuse to use the parkades due to feeling unsafe. I highly doubt this new policy of raising meter rates will be effective at driving folks into the parkades.

Sell them off with the stipulation that any developer who wants the great real estate must continue to operate the parkade for a certain number of years and allow them to build on top of them. We'll then get funds from the sale plus property tax revenue as well as encourage further development and revitalization of the downtown core.

Edited by AndrewReeve, 10 September 2014 - 02:45 PM.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

Andrew J. Reeve

#4 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:55 PM

I would just sell them with the stipulation that there can be no net loss of parking space if they redevelop the site (define some boundaries on where the parking needs to be). Leave the developer the potential to build another parkade elsewhere, or dig it underground as long as the city does not lose any parking spots. It does seem odd that the city bothers providing this service that private operators would gladly provide. I do recognize that a lot of parking money is at stake, but they could just tax parking spots couldn't they?

A developer is more likely to make better use of dead zones like the street level of the Johnson St Parkade. Find some way to incorporate more commercial or retail.  

Edited by Mr Cook Street, 10 September 2014 - 02:56 PM.

• Nparker, tedward and AndrewReeve like this

#5 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

The City of Victoria is one of the few cities in all of Canada that's in the Parkade business... and we're awful at it. A great many people I know, especially young women, absolutely refuse to use the parkades due to feeling unsafe. I highly doubt this new policy of raising meter rates will be effective at driving folks into the parkades

A quick search tells me that the cities of Vancouver, Caglary and Edmonton run their own parkades:

http://www.calgaryparking.com

http://www.edmonton....n-edmonton.aspx

http://www.easypark....rk/history.aspx (technically a non-profit wholly owned by the City of Vancouver

#6 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:02 PM

A great deal of Canadian cities own parkades attached to city halls, libraries, and other public buildings but Victoria does a lot more than that and attempts to run parkades much like a private business would. We should certainly be looking at the examples you've just posted for 'best practices' policy making.

What are your thoughts on the future of our parkades Corey?

Andrew J. Reeve

#7 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

A great deal of Canadian cities own parkades attached to city halls, libraries, and other public buildings but Victoria does a lot more than that and attempts to run parkades much like a private business would. We should certainly be looking at the examples you've just posted for 'best practices' policy making.

What are your thoughts on the future of our parkades Corey?

Uhh, pretty certain my job and residence in Oak Bay preclude me from having an opnion :)

#8 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:36 AM

I think the first step would be to fully automate the parkades here (which they have already done after hours). Machines can do a whole load of important things these days but somehow we need to pay a person to process your parking ticket and give you change? Seems like this is a quick win. I know the union will fight back claiming job loss, but I'm sure these staff could be employed elsewhere in the city in a much more rewarding job - the equipment that will replace them will only be a small fraction of their personnel costs.

#9 parasite175

parasite175
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:14 AM

Andrew,

It says in your bio that you're the President of the Local Federal Liberals.

Does this mean you're running "as a Liberal"? Could you speak about your political affiliations?

#10 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:00 PM

Andrew,

It says in your bio that you're the President of the Local Federal Liberals.

Does this mean you're running "as a Liberal"? Could you speak about your political affiliations?

Something I love about municipal politics is the lack of political parties. People get to judge their candidates without any of the baggage they may carry from certain national political brands. So no, I am not running "as a Federal Liberal" but I don't shy away from where I stand in national politics. Being a moderate centrist is something I'm proud of. It allows me to bring the ideals of the left together with the practicalities of the right, meeting in the middle, and forming policy based on evidence. If city staff told me that there was "no technical data to support the reduction in speed limits" then I, unlike every member of the current council, would have personally voted against it.

We are facing some very serious issues here in Victoria. 60% of the city's infrastructure is "past its useful life" and our infrastructure reserve is nowhere near where it needs to be in order to cope with that. Add on to that the challenges of climate change, the growing debt, our city's spending problem, and the blatant accountability issues at City Hall. My generation is going to be dealing with these issues for decades so the reason I'm running has nothing to do with partisan politics, it has to do with stepping up and doing something for the city I was fortunate enough to have been born and raised in. My Priorities are laid out on my website if you want to check them out. They are the things I believe in, dictated by my experiences living and working here, the knowledge I gained studying Political Science and History at UVic, and yes, even my activities in federal politics.

Recently, I voted for BC Green Leader Jane Sterk in my riding of Victoria-Beacon Hill in the 2013 Provincial election. I voted for the Liberal Party of Canada in the 2012 Victoria Federal by-election. That shouldn't matter, because unlike Vancouver, we are lucky to have our municipal politics free of the influence of political parties. While I know the partisan allegiances of many incumbents and several new-comers running in this upcoming election, I choose to judge them based on what they stand for personally and not who they prefer to be Prime Minister. I think it is for that reason that I have people supporting me and volunteering on my campaign that are members of the NDP, Greens, Liberals, and Conservatives. I'm not running "as a Liberal," I'm running as a concerned citizen who is willing to serve and give back to my community for the betterment of all.

This is our city, our future, and we're all in this together.

Edited by AndrewReeve, 12 September 2014 - 01:07 PM.

• tedward, Mr Cook Street, sasamat and 1 other like this

Andrew J. Reeve

#11 sasamat

sasamat
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:11 AM

Well, you have my vote. I know who you are from your Liberal Party emails, but you seem like an intelligent, articulate person who would bring a breath of fresh air to council. And all else being equal, I'm more inclined to vote for someone who is from my generation because there are so very of us in politics and our voices often get lost among the boomers.

#12 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:54 AM

^ I am a "boomer" and I like fresh young voices and ideas.

• sasamat likes this

#13 sasamat

sasamat
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:10 AM

^ I am a "boomer" and I like fresh young voices and ideas.

I'm glad! I think most people like fresh ideas and being a boomer or any age doesn't preclude a person from voting for someone who is not of the same generation and I hope I didn't come across like I was implying that. I was just acknowledging my bias, that if two candidates had equally good ideas and one of them was a young go-getter, I would be more inclined to vote for the younger one so that a) someone "like me" might be represented on council when there isn't someone there now, and more broadly, so that council can be more representative of the population. Just like it's good to have a council with a diverse professional background so that not everyone is a lawyer turned politician; it's good to have small business owners, people who have experience with the poor and seniors, property development, arts, etc. 

#14 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

Statement on Ida Chong's Mayoral Announcement:

Thanks to the Ida Chong Campaign for the invite to their launch event this morning. What a great turnout. I was told by organizers that around 150 people were in attendance. It is obvious from the conversations I had with fellow attendees that there is an atmosphere and genuine desire for change in our city. Chong's speech (and her policy plan) addressed many of the issues I have been speaking to since I launched my campaign two months ago: Fiscal management & accountability, downtown revitalization, infrastructure investment, and government transparency. As mayoral candidates get the majority of the media coverage and therefore drive the narrative of a municipal election, I am obviously elated that the issues I care about will be getting greater coverage this election.

That being said, I do not intend to endorse any Mayoral candidate in Victoria this election. However, I will certainly support her plan for our city and encourage other candidates to do so as well. This isn't about choosing sides, it's about recognizing that we're all in this together. After all, I'll be living here half a century from now, and a plan like this that invests in our city's future is also an investment in mine. That's not something I would gamble on.

Original

Edited by AndrewReeve, 18 September 2014 - 12:29 PM.

• John M. likes this

Andrew J. Reeve

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:57 PM

How do you feel about Chong living in Saanich but running for mayor in Victoria? I understand she has a practice downtown, but her dog in this fight as far as being a tax payer is concerned is in a different municipality.

Would you say she should serve the needs of the municipality in which she lives, raises her family and likely participates in a variety of different activities (i.e. shopping, recreation, municipal services, etc.) and not the municipality which would give her the highest prestige/political exposure?

Second, her inability to secure funding for the Johnson Street Bridge during her term as MLA raises the question of how effective she truly is as a politician. Do you feel it is disingenuous for her to criticize the current state of the bridge if she did not put any meaningful effort or have the wherewithal to assist Victoria's tax payers with the single largest municipal expense ever undertaken?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:00 PM

How do you feel about Chong living in Saanich but running for mayor in Victoria? ...

I don't like it. Of course I don't like it from any other city council members either.

#17 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:15 PM

How do you feel about Chong living in Saanich but running for mayor in Victoria? I understand she has a practice downtown, but her dog in this fight as far as being a tax payer is concerned is in a different municipality.

Mike, as I mentioned in my above post, I am not endorsing her as a candidate. The personal criticisms of her are for Ms. Chong to respond to, and her alone. I am supporting her plan because she's addressing the issues that we desperately need addressed in Victoria. Mayoral candidates drive the debate. The more we talk about our infrastructure deficit, lack of government transparency, and lack of a competitive downtown core, the more informed the voters will be on the tough issues facing Victoria. Our city's future is uncertain, and I see some fellow candidates simply touting buzzwords and talking about feel-good concepts.

I'm the type of political buff who reads lengthy city staff reports. I understand the local issues and recognize their importance. If any other mayoral candidates come out with a strong platform and focused plan that brings attention to the issues important to me, expect me to release a statement on that as well!

• jonny likes this

Andrew J. Reeve

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:22 PM

No no I get that, but I'm asking you several questions relating to your support of her plan and relating to her past. As a potential future councillor I would appreciate your thoughts on the points I raised.

Right now, as I see it, she is coming out with the very buzzwords that you say other candidates are falling back on. Why is what she says the real deal/genuine, and so much so that you support her plan, but why isn't what others say the real deal/genuine albeit not in line with your points of view?

Know it all.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:35 PM

Mike, as I mentioned in my above post, I am not endorsing her as a candidate. The personal criticisms of her are for Ms. Chong to respond to, and her alone. I am supporting her plan because she's addressing the issues that we desperately need addressed in Victoria. 

I think I understand that you endorse her plan.

But I guess Mike is asking your opinion on the issues she has left out of her plan, her residency and her government's lack of bridge funding.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#20 AndrewReeve

AndrewReeve
  • 91 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:04 PM

Ms. Chong seems to want to highlight and run on the exact issues which I've been talking about since my launch in July. Her plan's priority focus on fiscal management and the economy is why I'm supporting the plan. If Mayoral candidate "Changes The Clown" released such a plan, I would be applauding it as well. I certainly wouldn't endorse him, but I think I am mature enough to divorce common-sense policies from the individual. 

Frankly, it would be hypocritical if I go about campaigning on revitalizing the downtown core, fiscal management, and government transparency and then ignore a plan that directly emphasizes those issues. I would have been talking about the same things if she were not running, only it would get far less media attention. I will be talking about these same things if elected to council, whether or not she wins. We need a council that can work together, so I would encourage any other council candidate who shares my priorities to get in touch. I'd love to meet up and talk about how we can best serve Victoria together.

As I said before, the questions about Ms. Chong as a candidate are not for me to speak to. I do not intend to discuss the personal lives or past of Lisa, Dean, or Ida. That's not my kind of politics. You've asked me about her living situation and her record as an MLA. There's a forum thread for those questions and I certainly hope she and her team hop on VV and engage with all of us, considering accountability is a major part of her platform. My commitment to public engagement and transparency is why I'm typing this out now. Any questions regarding my policies, or the facts behind why I support the policies within her plan are most welcome.

• Nparker likes this

Andrew J. Reeve

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users